Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

What is Your Favorite Brand Of Alkaline AA?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...
View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite Brand Of Alkaline AA?
Walgreens
0%
Kirkland
0%
Panasonic
6.67%
Rayovac
0%
Eneloop
13.33%
Duracell
46.67%
Energizer
33.33%
CVS
0%
Sony
6.67%
Other
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

What is Your Favorite Brand Of Alkaline AA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 02:01 AM
gaaunapoi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is Your Favorite Brand Of Alkaline AA?

I will be doing a comprehensive test of many many alkaline AA batteries, but I need your help to choose which ones! Please let me know which brand AA battery is your favorite and which one you would like to see compared to see which is the best!

Please either comment here or on youtube thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvoRP_Z6jYM
Old 12-08-2016, 06:36 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi gaaunapoi ,

I'm not looking to pick apart your poll , but the Eneloop is not an Alkaline AA cell , it's an NIMH AA cell , and are my #1 favorite NIMH rechargeable cell for my RC Transmitters .
Old 12-08-2016, 10:21 AM
krokodyl

Yes, the eneloops are rechargable nimhs, and so are most of the other rechargable AA batteries. I am not sure if you mean alkaline or nimh? Lot's of people just call any AA size battery "alkaline", wether rechargable or not.

Hubert
Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 AM
gaaunapoi

So it is, I was just trying to through out some brands
Old 12-08-2016, 03:15 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Depends on what you want the alkaline cells for. If for toys and you will use them quickly Energizer is likely your most cost effective brand. If, however, you are looking at long term use and storage you can't beat Duracell.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:06 PM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duracell ultra for Nimh's, or Duracell accu supreme, depending what's available at time.
Duracell industrial for alkaline
Old 12-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Gregory37

Definitely duracell is the best
Old 12-08-2016, 05:29 PM
krokodyl

Nah, for rechargables eneloops are the best. You need low self discharge. Duracell makes all those ads, but I find them absolutely nothing special. They are better than SOME other brands, but definately not all. They are good for things that sit for 10 years without use... I generally just buy the highest capacity batteries with a reasonable brand, because eneloops aren't readily avaliable. I find energizers to work pretty good, and have reasonable prices.

Alkalines? I avoid those. If I buy them they are duracell, because costco sells them in packs of 48
Old 12-09-2016, 05:00 AM
philakapd

This is an important factor for my battery selection:
Eneloops = 1.2Volts
Alkaline = 1.5Volts

If I'm using a TX / RX pack, camera, wireless device, etc. ....I INSTALL ALKALINE. Typically, if the device requires 4 X AA batteries, it will perform well at 6VDC (alkaline) and may not get enough energy at 4.8VDC to provide the user with the best performance.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 AM
krokodyl

Well, not necessarily. Yes, alkaline is a higher voltage, but don't forget, that the 1.2 volts on a nimh is NOMINAL voltage, not max voltage. A fully charged 4 cell eneloop pack will be at around 5.8 volts. They have a fully charged voltage of 1.45 volts, but may peak even higher. Most alkaline that I have had are around 1.6 volts, so yes, you will get slightly better performance on alkalines, but not much. Definatley not noticible in a transmitter, and the majority of people that are running aa packs in transmitters use eneloops. Alkalines are the last thing I would use in a rx pack.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by krokodyl
Well, not necessarily. Yes, alkaline is a higher voltage, but don't forget, that the 1.2 volts on a nimh is NOMINAL voltage, not max voltage. A fully charged 4 cell eneloop pack will be at around 5.8 volts. They have a fully charged voltage of 1.45 volts, but may peak even higher. Most alkaline that I have had are around 1.6 volts, so yes, you will get slightly better performance on alkalines, but not much. Definatley not noticible in a transmitter, and the majority of people that are running aa packs in transmitters use eneloops. Alkalines are the last thing I would use in a rx pack.
Agree 100% .

Let's not forget that a whole bunch of TX's are designed to run 8 cell NIMH like my trusty ol DX-7 for example . Jacking up the input voltage does nothing but make the linear regulator have to work all that much harder , dumping the excess voltage as heat .

Also , just to throw a real stinkbomb into the thread ; Sure , I use Eneloops and only Eneloops in my TXs , but the airplanes themselves ? LIPO or LIFE all the way ! LIPO for electrics (naturally) and LIFE for the RX packs on glow or gas powered . I do not and will not trust any airplane I own to an AA RX pack , no matter what ........
Old 12-09-2016, 07:32 AM
philakapd

Originally Posted by philakapd
This is an important factor for my battery selection:
Eneloops = 1.2Volts
Alkaline = 1.5Volts

If I'm using a TX / RX pack, camera, wireless device, etc. ....I INSTALL ALKALINE. Typically, if the device requires 4 X AA batteries, it will perform well at 6VDC (alkaline) and may not get enough energy at 4.8VDC to provide the user with the best performance.
It was an example. I was referring to my remote camera flash and receiver. I get better recycling times between flashes and the devices can work at further distances when comparing between alkaline to Eneloops. I used Eneloops for years and decided I liked the alkaline performance better.

I do not use alkaline or Eneloops in any of my aircraft or transmitters. I use LiPo and LiFe.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:49 PM
krokodyl

I agree, I use LIFE for rx packs. Eneloops in my TX, because they do have some advantages. First of all, a lipo is the last thing I need in my tx. Storage charge, is one. I also don't want to let a lipo sit connected to anything. Life is fine, but the discharge curve is a bit flat, and it's hard to keep track of in a TX. Sure, eneloops weigh a bit more, but I don't care, , it's usually less than 1000 grams any ways. Now back on topic...

I personally don't find a difference between a fully charged eneloop and a new alkaline. One thing I noticed, is that most AA chargers don't charge fully, both of mine only do up to 1.2-1.3, no idea why, might just be my chargers. For this reason, I tend to us my rc charger to charge everything That way, I can keep track of mah, and get them fully charged and peaked. You can even put them in a 4 or 8 cell holder to charge if you don't want to do it one by one.

Hubert