Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Wonder if it will ever be back...

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wonder if it will ever be back...

Old 12-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Wonder if it will ever be back...

Saw this in a roundabout way. couldn't readily find it on Bovington's site. The Elefant goes on holiday...

https://www.facebook.com/DasPanzermu...81190300540134
Old 12-09-2016, 11:37 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, guessing it won't be back on U.S. soil anytime soon if ever.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Too bad they ain't bringin' her to my house. Right over there by the garage, Boys, that will do nicely.

There's gotta be some kinda joke for this related to the oldie about when pigs fly, eh?
Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Onondaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well at least it's not sitting in storage at Fort Lee out of public view. Maybe they'll even give it a better paint job.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:49 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I could be hopelessly wrong but my understanding is that it is going to the Tank Museum at Bovington, Dorset. but first it will go to the workshop for an overhaul, and as I recollect the Tank Museums Tiger 1 (131) was in the workshop for years before going on display..
So I wouldn't book your car rental and Hotel anytime soon.
Shaun,
Old 12-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

You guys just think it's going to Bovington. It really is coming here. Bwahahahaha!!

Yeah, I wish. Maybe. Bwahahahahaha!!
Old 12-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Tanque

Well where ever it's going over there I doubt precious few people here in the states had anything to say about it. And when you say it's going into the workshops there....
what for? Why? Is there a plan to get it running? If not everything else is just hooey. I'm probably wrong but as the Porsche chassis never hit real production numbers
but was the result of Porsche's assumption he would win the contract I doubt many parts were "off the shelf". So good luck finding spares and there'd best be a funds drive
to fund any restoration.

And speaking of restorations whatever became of WOT's plan to get Kubinka's Maus running? As it's a completely empty hull they were going to have to make essentially everything unless the Russians found the fabled Maus spare parts ship which sank on its way from Japan...

Jerry
Old 12-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Cruiser133

That tank belongs to the American people, why is it being shipped to England? Is there a time table for return?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Onondaga

I believe a Tiger 1 from the same Aberdeen collection also was sent to England or Europe years ago and hasn't been seen since. Anyone know what happened to it?
Old 12-10-2016, 06:22 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was all over that thing years ago at Aberdeen. It was languishing in the weeds near a railway siding, so if someone is going to do something with it, it's fine with me. It wasn't on a pad, it seemed to have been tossed off a flatcar and left open to the weather for decades.

We can't have nice things.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:42 PM
47flatfender

Here's The Tank Museum's info on the Elefant's new home:

http://tankmuseum.org/year-news/bovnews53673
Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The Elefant was overhauled at Aberdeen before it was closed down. It was a tear down and sand blast to stop it from rusting away. It was not restored to run but to save it. Check this link out and see what they did in the restoration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QE5KZMaKzE
Old 12-12-2016, 01:40 PM
TheBennyB

The fellow I bought my Imai from years back had a chance to check it out while it was getting painted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	elefant.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2193254  
Old 12-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Naw. There probably won't be any of us on this forum that will ever live long enough to see it brought back to a U.S. tank museum.

England and Europe recognize and appreciate the history of tanks a LOT more than the U.S. does. Here it seems them 'aereplane' museums are more prevalent and visited. Take our rc tanker population for example.

Heck, it was just a couple of years ago we luckily got the Tiger 1 back (after THAT shady debacle.)

BUT, the 'good thing' about the Elefant being 'adopted' for a while is it will be given better care and stored INSIDE out of the weather. Those British have a nice tank museum and it will be appreciated.

Wonder if the U.S. will get anything 'on loan' ('hostage',,,) in return? Maybe a Maus? (LOL!!!.. like they had a few laying around.)

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 12-12-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:58 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK chaps let’s not start getting hysterical about the Elefant, onagonda, I see you keep up to date on the US tank collection the Tiger I, you are referring to was returned to the US more than 3 years ago this was covered on the forum along with pictures of it being restored at an army base along with the rest of the collection, keep up chap.

The Elefant is on loan to Bovington who are opening a Tiger display at Easter 2017 along with Bovingtons own Tiger I, Jagdtiger (P) Tiger II (P) and Tiger II(H) how long it will be there for I don’t know but rest assured it will be returned when the agreed loan ends so no need for wild fairy tales.

In recent years the Elefant along with the rest of the collection has been in storage away from the public at least this way people will get to see the Elefant and so will all of you by means of pictures on tinternet along with Bovingtons own collection, I doubt very much that any restoration work will be carried out as has been said parts will be very difficult to find and would have to come from Russia not to mention Bovington has its hands full with its own collection.

The Maus this was only ever going to be a pipe dream to restore this to running condition otherwise the Russians would have done this years ago when they captured the thing, the hull and turret are empty meaning all parts would have to be built from scratch as one offs which would consume a vast amount of €uros, from what I heard Kublinka decided to use the money to restore the T28 to running condition bringing an end to the Maus project.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
OK chaps let’s not start getting hysterical about the Elefant, onagonda, I see you keep up to date on the US tank collection the Tiger I, you are referring to was returned to the US more than 3 years ago this was covered on the forum along with pictures of it being restored at an army base along with the rest of the collection, keep up chap.

The Elefant is on loan to Bovington who are opening a Tiger display at Easter 2017 along with Bovingtons own Tiger I, Jagdtiger (P) Tiger II (P) and Tiger II(H) how long it will be there for I don’t know but rest assured it will be returned when the agreed loan ends so no need for wild fairy tales.

In recent years the Elefant along with the rest of the collection has been in storage away from the public at least this way people will get to see the Elefant and so will all of you by means of pictures on tinternet along with Bovingtons own collection, I doubt very much that any restoration work will be carried out as has been said parts will be very difficult to find and would have to come from Russia not to mention Bovington has its hands full with its own collection.

The Maus this was only ever going to be a pipe dream to restore this to running condition otherwise the Russians would have done this years ago when they captured the thing, the hull and turret are empty meaning all parts would have to be built from scratch as one offs which would consume a vast amount of €uros, from what I heard Kublinka decided to use the money to restore the T28 to running condition bringing an end to the Maus project.
I've never had (made ?) the opportunity to visit the tank collection at Aberdeen. From what I've seen in photos the collection was in atrocious condition as others have said due in part to long term outside storage. I recall seeing the video of the repaint of the elefant; I seem to recall one of the guys going on about the power of the high pressure washer. Any inside storgae and display is a step up so kudos Bovington for putting on that Total Tiger display... Perhaps next year after it is established would be a good time to finally visit Bovington...

Jerry
Old 12-12-2016, 04:06 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to Aberdeen many times and the photos you've seen are of the good ones, on slabs where they at least mowed around them, although did nothing else, not even discourage all sorts of critters to use them as home.

The Elefant wasn't in the 'good' area, it was off in obscurity, near a rail siding, overgrown with weeds. If you didn't intentionally seek it out, you wouldn't have even known it was part of the collection and even then took some effort to find. We spotted a shape in a wooded area and found it.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 PM
rivetcounter

Jerry, if you are going to come to England give me some notice and I will come down to meet you , every other Saturday the “Southern Armour Group” meet and run their tanks at the museum so that could also be of interest depending when you come there are different events on around the country and we can recommend a good B&B about 30 minutes’ drive from the museum that’s not expensive and has a good old English pub a short walk away.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Cruiser133

Originally Posted by rivetcounter

I have no issue with it being "loaned" to our cousins across the pond, just as long as we get her back.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:09 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiser133
I have no issue with it being "loaned" to our cousins across the pond, just as long as we get her back.
Considering how poorly it has been cared for in the United States I cannot help wondering if it would be doing it any favours to send it home.
Shaun..
Old 12-13-2016, 02:16 PM
rivetcounter

Cruiser, I’m looking forward to the brief visit of the Elefant as are many other people in Europe, at the moment you Americans have more chance of seeing the Elefant in England than you do back in the US out of sight on a military base, I’m also hoping Bovington can get the Sturmtiger from Munster to complete the line-up, I have no doubt that as soon as the Tiger display is open to the public there will be many pictures available.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:43 PM
TheBennyB

Yea, gotta say much rather see it under there than not see it go to crap over here.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 AM
Tanque

There's a boatload of videos now of the arrival. I kept thinking the "the Elefant made it over to England before I did..."

https://www.facebook.com/tankmuseum/

Jerry
Old 12-15-2016, 12:33 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

That was a quick trip!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Unhappy RE: Wonder if it will ever be back...

The term "on loan" is a polite misnomer but do I agree...

... I'd rather see it cared for over there like it should than quietly rot over here behind closed doors.

I did record it being "Over Hauled" on T.V. so I guess that's better than nothing.

Jeff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.