Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Trying to build an F/A-37 Talon

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Trying to build an F/A-37 Talon

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Jason233
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to build an F/A-37 Talon

I went to see that new movie "Stealth", and the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the "Talon" was building one. I do realize it is a fictional aircraft and may not have any chance at flight as an r/c model, but i'd like to try!

Anyway my problem is I can't find any reference material at all! All I can find are those screenshots from the movie, which aren't doing me any good. It would be nice to at least have some 3-view drawings or at best maybe Revell or somone will come out with a static model. More stuff may appear as time goes on but if anyone has any websites, ideas, or knows of any possible reference material it would be much much apreciated!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:04 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Trying to build an F/A-37 Talon

I haven't been to the movie yet but from the trailer off the net I noticed that all the designs on there do not have a vertical tail. The inference is that they are relying on computer controlled drag brakes and/or thrust vectoring for yaw damping. For a model that isn't going to be a very practical idea. So the first thing you need to do is add a vertical fin or two. Adding them to the belly would help reduce the visual issue as long as you can get enough area.

As for 3 views I suspect you'll just have to study the screenshots and make your own. From there make up some 20 inch span test glider models of foam and balsa to test the fin area, cg placement and other factors. If it won't glide as a test model decently then you won't be able to fly it as an RC model.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Jason233

True it is probably computer controlled, much like the F-117. But if you look closly at the screenshots you'll see that it actually does have fins that act as stabalators. They are hard to notice since they're almost flat, but i'm wondering if it will be enough of an angle to be used as a fin. If it doesn't work I will try putting a fin underneath or something.

I think I'm going to check out Scifi-Meshes.com, that was one of my hits on Google, maybe I could get some help there.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Jason233

Well I built 2 foam gliders and they both fly perfectly! I couldn't believe it[X(]! One has the wings in the tucked position and one has the wings out. I finally found a 2-d view on the Stealth website, but its only the top, its in the "military briefing" videos. Now I just need the side and front views. Getting closer!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:29 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jason233

Well I built 2 foam gliders and they both fly perfectly! I couldn't believe it[X(]! One has the wings in the tucked position and one has the wings out. I finally found a 2-d view on the Stealth website, but its only the top, its in the "military briefing" videos. Now I just need the side and front views. Getting closer!
Excellent! Another hint. If you make this a propjet then mounting the engine at the rear as a pusher will let the prop disc provide some much needed vertical fin effect. I know the disc is sitting the "wrong way" but the prop does produce a bit of a fin effect.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM
crispy6491

The Tail fins are sort of the same as the F-117 Nighthawk. I saw the movie. If you have, what was your favorite part?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Jason233

Yeah they are similar to the F-117, which might make it hard to work out the mounting but, to update my progress, I'm just going to have to wait until the DVD comes or more info gets posted to get more research material. I'm hoping they will have some behind the scenes/how they did it stuff on the DVD. I've already checked with Sony Pictures and as is to be expected, no help from them. Just a 3-view, thats all I ask!

If I had to pick a favorite part I guess the first thing that comes to mind is when they were chasing the UCAV through the mountains after the SCUD strike, those cave flyby shots are so cool they almost make me cry.
ORIGINAL: crispy6491

The Tail fins are sort of the same as the F-117 Nighthawk. I saw the movie. If you have, what was your favorite part?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 PM
crispy6491

Yeah it got real silent when Jamie Foxx's character crashed. Everybody in the theater got quiet. It was real sad when the UCAV got blown up at the end such an ugly ending for a beautiful plane
Old 08-24-2005, 03:26 PM
crispy6491

Hey if you want to get some good views go to movieweb.com type "Stealth" into the Search bar and then click on the Comic-Con Sizzle Piece.[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 08-25-2005, 05:58 AM
crispy6491

Found some pictures here you go
http://www.movieweb.com/movies/hi_re...025/hi/co1.jpg
http://www.movieweb.com/movies/hi_re...025/hi/co2.jpg
http://www.movieweb.com/movies/hi_re...025/hi/cod.jpg

hope these help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 08-20-2016, 08:09 PM
AIR AND WATER RC.

i am having the same problem FA 37 TALON in the last 6 mo there have been some new and better images let me know if you need them
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM
AIR AND WATER RC.

my favorite part HMMM ? WHEN THE drone did a vertical landing on on the deck of the aircraft carrier at night in the rain.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:17 AM
AIR AND WATER RC.

stability during low speed flight take off and landing has stumped me from the very start , after 4 months of pondering the idea of using a couple of gyros is the best thing i have came up with. I welcome all ideas and comments
Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 AM
AIR AND WATER RC.

hey man thank you much
Old 08-24-2016, 09:45 AM
AIR AND WATER RC.

have you found the new design called S-12/A SCORPION IT LOOKS MUCH LIKE THE F37 TALON BUT ALL THE SHARP CORNERS ARE ROUNDED . IT LOOKS REALLY COOL. I WILL TRY SENDING A IMAGE.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CONSEPT FJS.jpg
Views:	3597
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	2178177  
Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 AM
AIR AND WATER RC.

HEY ! have you seen the new S-12/A SCORPION IF NOT THIS IS IT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RC S12A.jpg
Views:	693