RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Dry tuned Vs. Wet tuned pipes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/7589458-dry-tuned-vs-wet-tuned-pipes.html)

FE_Chris 06-06-2008 08:41 PM

Dry tuned Vs. Wet tuned pipes

Whats the differance? My boat has a wet tuned.......

BMAD01 06-06-2008 10:02 PM

RE: Dry tuned Vs. Wet tuned pipes

Chris, I dunno about "dry tuned or wet tuned". A pipe is a pipe with the exception of a bunch of variables. Some pipes have no band while some have 1" and 2 " bands. And lastly some pipes have cooling rings at the front of the pipe, while some don't. I think you should be saying "wet pipe vs dry pipe". Generally, a wet pipe will run cooler and is a better choice for an inboard application where heat would be an issue. The dry pipes , also called "hot pipes" are a better choice when the pipe is out in the open and heat is not an issue. Which one is better? Who knows?:eek: I've run em both, but it seems lately I've been running ceramic coated Q/D hot pipes. I'm not likeing all the spacers and springs that go with em tho! I got 3 of em!:eek: Oh well... Brian

Dave ESPI 06-06-2008 11:23 PM

WET pipes use a water cooling jacket on the exhaust manifold and cools the gasses so they do not expand as much as a hot exhaust would. It keeps the pipe cooler, and can be ran inboard. The other ones require air and temperature differences to work properly and dissapate heat from the combustion. they also tend to be a bit bigger than a wetpipe as cool exhaust is a bit more dense.

Atleast thats how it was explained to me, so hopefully it is correct :)

I for one like the wetpipes because they are hidden, and some are routed to exit below water so they get a nice "Blub Blub Blub" sound at idle, and are a bit quieter when runnning WOT.

korkka 06-07-2008 01:03 AM

Hi Chris!

In Blackjack 55 there is a dry pipe as stock. Atleast mine did. It was watercooled at manifold and pipe joint with a flange.

Here is a nice one for info... http://www.whobbies.com/wetdry.htm

Cheers!

FE_Chris 06-07-2008 11:09 AM

Kork, thanks thats a great article.

macauley 06-24-2008 01:48 PM

I could be wrong but my understanding of wet and dry pipes is that on a wet pipe the water usually dumped overboard after going through the engine is dumped in the pipe.

monsterbrad 06-24-2008 07:53 PM

yes that is correct the water goes around the head through the pipe coupler around the header and into the pipe and out the back of the boat.
The only advantage I can see so far with a wet pipe like the WWH boats come stock with is the noise level is a little less.
For mod motors this is not a good choice you need a dry pipe!

POKIJO 06-26-2008 04:20 AM

Why would one want to use watercooling for the stock engines pipe and no cooling for the modified engines pipe? If the water cooling actually works, surely you would want it for both.

pyro1 06-26-2008 05:55 AM

Wet Pipe / By injecting the correct amount of water into the heated tuned pipe two things occur. The first is the water quickly turns to steam and this reaction seems to change the conditions inside the pipe to return the sound wave to the exhaust port quicker resulting in a smaller pipe than would be the norm as in a dry tuned pipe.The second thing, or the by product is the fact that the water cools the pipe and also lowers the exhaust tone to that similar of a personal water craft. The wet tuned pipe is about 75% effective compared to a dry pipe. Operating temps. usually do not exceed 100 degrees, lower exhaust tone and a completely concealed system,
no O rings means much less maintenance.

Dry Pipe / The dry pipe will bring out the beast in your engine especially if its modified. Its common to see a rpm gain of 1000 to 1500
The pipe tends to run hotter at temps. from 200+ at the header to 150 on the pipe itself. You should keep at least 1/4 in. clearance between the pipe components and the surrounding components ( radio box). You must find the sweet spot ( highest engine rpm) on the pipe by sliding the pipe back and forth in small increments.

Pyro1

POKIJO 06-26-2008 06:22 AM

What you describe is only a way of making a pipe that is designed for prehaps a different application ie. mod porting to work in a lower rpm range because the exhaust gas temperature is not as high, therefore giving lower rpm. The sound that is being damped is because the sonic wave is loosing amplitude and therefore not working as effectively as it should. Surely if the pipe is silenced with a effective silencer you will not need to mess with performance to get the machine quieter.

If the water is dumped into the pipe, some of this water vapour will end up back in the cylinder and increase the compression ratio because this is going to be compressed together with the scavenged charge being compressed. This will also help promote detonation and give less piston life.

I would have though the idea is to get the engine performing as well whether stock or modified.
Internal pipe temperature should be 1100 to 1200 deg far. I think the water cooled adaption to the pipe is being used to smooth out a pipe that is prehaps to short.

pyro1 06-26-2008 10:03 AM

Did not want to get too deep in explaining pipes. I know what they do and the theory of how it works. Thanks for the input.
Pyro1