Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Picco .90 Marine Repair?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Picco .90 Marine Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
helievacpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picco .90 Marine Repair?

I bought a Picco .90 Marine engine a couple of years ago that was already apart for repair. Needs a piston/wrist pin/new bearings. Does anyone know how to source these parts or know of someone out there that repairs these engines?
Thanks - Bill
Old 01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
TCHedOff

Default RE: Picco .90 Marine Repair?

I dont know about parts availability - but rebuilding an engine I HIGHLY recommend Rod Geraghty. He does car/boat/plane etc engines and has been doing them for a few decades !

I asked him once how many he does a yr and he said probably 250 engines a yr! [X(]

PM me if you want his contact info.

todd
Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
helievacpilot

Todd. I PM'd you.
Thanks - Bill
Old 01-28-2009, 02:03 PM
wires37

hi ,,last December bought all parts for Picco 90 competition (blue head) i needed from Malta,bought piston/sleeve, con-rod + needle rollers,wrist pin + e clips,and bearings.
i tried to find them on internet or ebay maybe i get them cheap but it was impossible,not even an answer back from picco.
i can help you to get the parts if you like,my e mail is [email protected] if you like to contact me even we can send a pic of the engine to verify or i get you direct with the shop owner.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
TCHedOff

I sent you Rod's contact info.

BTW he is retired so you can reach him pretty much all the time - tho on the weekends its harder than weekdays or evenings.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 AM
helievacpilot

Aquahobb. I e-mailed you about the parts. Also talked with Rod. Great guy with a wealth of information. Will keep you posted on the parts search.
Thanks - Bill
Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM
wires37

ORIGINAL: helievacpilot

Aquahobb. I e-mailed you about the parts. Also talked with Rod. Great guy with a wealth of information. Will keep you posted on the parts search.
Thanks - Bill
hi helievacpilot,i did not received any emails from you yet, who is Rod? what does he do exactly?according to the 2nd post he mod or build engines?if so i like to know this person.
regards.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:25 PM
helievacpilot

I sent an e-mail this morning to the address you posted above. I definately would like to talk to you about getting the parts I need. If you could try sending an e-mail to me at [email protected] maybe it will go through that way. Rod is an engine expert here in the states. I can give you his contact info if you like.
- Bill
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
wires37

I sent an e-mail this morning to the address you posted above. I definately would like to talk to you about getting the parts I need. If you could try sending an e-mail to me at [email protected] maybe it will go through that way. Rod is an engine expert here in the states. I can give you his contact info if you like.
- Bill
i sent you email to-day.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 PM
helievacpilot

Thanks Eric. I replied.
- Bill
Old 01-29-2009, 05:05 PM
TCHedOff

ORIGINAL: wires37

Thanks - Bill
hi helievacpilot,i did not received any emails from you yet, who is Rod? what does he do exactly?according to the 2nd post he mod or build engines?if so i like to know this person.
regards.
Wires37,

Rod's pretty well known on this side of the ocean.

I'll let someone else chime in on his accomplishments (too many to list). But he does pretty much any and everything engine related. He'll freshen up old engines, improve new ones, and does "modding". I've been lucky enough to meet him at his house a few times and learn from him (and it was more about boat design & set ups than engines).

I remember Rod telling me a few things about engines though: "Todd, most people think they know more than Novarossi, who spends @1 million a year on R&D, and they try to improve on their engine. Dont you think if they (Novarossi) knew how to make a better engine they would do it!?! The end result is these people read some crap on the internet from someone who doesnt know *^^ and then they go and wonder why their boat doesnt run worth a crap and end up quitting the hobby after spending a bunch of money!" Rod also said that the "modding" he does is more about making sure that the engine works like it was meant to - things like making sure tolerances were right, conrod-to-wrist pin was loose enough, checking that things are true (straight), or at a true 90* angle etc, changing a shim height, or adjusting the amount of water that flows thru the engine. He was dead clear that for the typical boater/racer shouldnt be messing with porting/timing etc unless they want headaches and problems. I'm relaying this to you pretty much verbatim.

I have 2 nitro engines Rod has looked over (.21 Novarossi & .12 Novarossi). The .21 is one he put together out of spare parts essentially with one of Rod's custom K&B black carbs. I mentioned to him that it was going into a rigger that was on the heavier side (weight wise) and he said, "I'm glad you mentioned that, I'm going to make a change to your engine", and when I got the engine he showed me how he had changed the spray bar in the carb to draw more fuel.

My .12 is the new 3 port Top engine from Glenn Quarles. Rod changed the shim height, plugged the water exit outlet on the head and drilled a smaller diameter hole in the top of the head to restrict the water some (so now water exits stright up from the top of the engine). I dont know what else he did, but he said "Todd, now just leave those #@*^ engines ALONE and go race! Spend your time on set up of your boat and props and that is where you'll get more speed!!!"

I'm passing these words of wisdom on to you - it's up to you if you want to listen. As for me, I took what he had to say VERY seriously indeed and am going to listen/do EXACTLY as he said.

todd hollander

Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 AM
wires37

Todd i understand you exactly and i never agree to mod engines coz i believe it will not last long either.i asked about rod coz its nice to know people like him..I only adjust water outlet for best temp and tune pipe for better performance, and props.but i would like to ask him a question if you can,i've been told that if you put a shim underneath the sleeve(between the sleeve and the block so the sleeve lift up) it will be better in rpm.i just want to know if it's true or not.
regards
Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
geraghty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To:wires37..........question about sleeve shims.........

It can be true,but...... it also can be false..........There is no one size fits all answer to your question.
A shim added under the sleeve can either help[sm=thumbs_up.gif] or hurt[sm=thumbs_down.gif] your motors performance and reliability.
Without knowing what the timing numbers[intake,exhaust and rotor] you presently have incorporated in your Picco .90[there were several versions],the fuel you are running,your motors combustion chamber design and volume,the type and weight of your boat and the pipe you are using,I hesitate to recommend any changes in sleeve height.
A blind recommendation to a sleeve shim size is just asking for potential motor trouble.Un-informed arbitrary motor modification recommendations can result in a trail of destroyed engine parts.[sm=disappointed.gif]
You probably already know this but for others that might read this thread............The biggest enemy of larger displacement nitro motors
[.45's on up] is the lean run.............Adjust the needle valve to just get the motor out of its 4 stroke operation and into a "rich side" 2 stroke operation and then leave the needle alone.Do not "squeeze" the needle.If at W.O.T. your motor is "sagging",you are killing the piston & sleeve and sometimes the conrod bushing.
I hope this helps[sm=wink_smile.gif]......Rod Geraghty

Old 01-30-2009, 02:17 PM
TCHedOff

Thanks Rod for taking the time (KNOW you hate typing)

When I called Rod this morning to ask if he would answer your question, he went on in more detail than here.... He mentioned there are MANY Picco 90's variants out there are they have different specs. I took notes on some timing numbers he rattled off: (in general) intake timing of .125-.128; exhaust around .178 to .187 and rotor closing @ 65 is usually where an engine will run best (and again this is a generality). And he said without measuring/knowing where your particular engine is at now for specs as a starting point, there is no way to suggest how/where to raise or lower things for good, reliable performance. He also mentioned that Picco come from the factory set up to run on alchohol because nitro is so expensive over there - so that is another variable - what fuel you are running. Again thanks Rod!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:55 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ wires37 ......... I suspect it's Eric?

You won't have to go over the big pond for a 'nitro-specalist' ,
I dare say I'm one too. Just ask the other Malthese boy's after me.

And just as Rod was saying ..... mostly 'blueprinting' a engine is enough.

But if you have the money for higher nitro content , the standard (European)exh.timings CAN be raised.
(and disk timing goes with it.. CR addjusted)

I'm a true competions-racer .. going all over Europe to race.

Last race I heard rumours (in the Italian compound) that Picco is thinking to re-start the marine engines dept.
Let's hope so.

I can still lay my hand on 2 Picco-XP90's .. used but good (XP90's are the CMB-type) The guy stopped racing.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM
wires37

hi Hendricx,yes it's me Eric,i'm sure you remember me asking for picco parts and try to solve the problem i had about the engine,I can say that you and Dave Marles are professionals to tune up an engine,i had a lot of trouble to keep the engine going but thanks you all i'm so happy with my picco 90 now a days on Dave's boat.
luckily i found all the parts i needed here in malta.
to be honest i never race for comp. only as friendly race but mostly for a good time with my 14yr old son he got the tempest with 45ops.But one day i'll come to U.K with my son to see a race..
'reply to TCHedOff" thanks for asking rod and i use 30% nitro with 18% oil.
"reply to rod" i'm sure i will not try anything or try to mod my engine,coz i have no an idea how
thanks you all
best regards
Eric