RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Setup plans for an Aeromarine Scorpion .21 (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/4359657-setup-plans-aeromarine-scorpion-21-a.html)

BradsMandella 06-06-2006 12:01 PM

Setup plans for an Aeromarine Scorpion .21

Hi all,

I am looking for setup plans for an Aeromarine Scorpion .21. I have purchased a used boat that was already setup, but I want to make sure it was setup correctly. I have been trying to contact Aeromarine but all I get is a busy signal when I have tried to call for the last week. I know they must be busy, but the never ending busy signal makes it seem like they are out of business.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad

Ron Olson 06-07-2006 01:30 PM

RE: Setup plans for an Aeromarine Scorpion .21

They are very busy and e-mailing them is worse.
You could always post some shots so that we could take a look at your boat and make recommendations for changes if it needs them. Good inside and transom shots are usually most helpful. Take them from several angles also.

BradsMandella 06-07-2006 01:48 PM

Thanks Ron,

I will take a few detailed pictures and post them tonight. Thanks in advance for the help.

Brad

BradsMandella 06-08-2006 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As was suggested, I have posted pictures of my boat in my gallery. I have left off the clear acrylic cover to the radio box for photos and I have not finished mounting the battery and receiver and I am still planning on installing a fail safe as well. As you can also see in the pictures the right trim tab was trimmed back to allow the rudder to turn to the left. I am not sure how this will affect the handling as of yet since I have not had the opprotunity to take it out yet. The turn fin was also mounted parallel to the rudder instead of perpendicular to the "vee" of the hull. I am planning on re-mounting it perpendicular unless someone tells me differently.

I will greatly appreciate anyone that has any suggestions on the setup of this boat. Let me know if any of you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Brad

Ron Olson 06-12-2006 10:45 PM

You got the turn fin idea right but the trim tabs are kind of a nightmare. I built a Titan 21 when they first came out and ended up by tossing most of the Aeromarine hardware kit off to the side and replaced it with Speedmaster hardware. The trim tabs should be even with the bottom but about 1/16" above the bottom as they look a little crooked to me. I don't know what to do with those except maybe replacing them with home-made trim tabs but still the rudder bracket is going to be in the way.
The CMD Green-head is a nice engine but the previous owner got smart and replaced the stock needle with a remotely mounted one as the stock needle had a problem with the O-rings leaking. The CMB TT pipe is really quiet and nice for the price tag.

oldlugs 06-12-2006 11:44 PM

A couple of things that I noticed.. The strakes go all the way back to the transom; isn't that an indication that the hull's designed for sub-surface drive?
Also, I've been told that the leading edge of the rudder should be in line with, or further back than the the leading edge of the prop. Not sure, but that could give you some turning problems. You may want to go with a longer rudder mounting bracket...

BTW- if you're wanting some lower profile trim tabs that are really sweet, check out the ones David Preusse at CD Machine makes!
They're only about 9/16" tall, and give much more room for your rudder bracket.

BradsMandella 06-13-2006 12:44 AM

Thanks Guys for the suggestions.
I think that I will either get a longer rudder bracket or replace it altogether, maybe with Speedmaster hardware as suggested. I was thinking that the rudder was too close to the transom. That will solve the clearance problem with the trim tab for sure.

I like the idea of switching out the trim tabs with the lower profile tabs as well. How would I go about contacting CD Machine or David Preusse?

Also, what is the break in setting for the needle valve and the air needle valve for this CMB with 40% O'Donnell nitro? The person who sold me the boat did not know the nitro content that was run by the previous owner and I want to break it in properly with the 40% fuel.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

Brad

Ron Olson 06-13-2006 08:43 AM

Cathy and David Preusse have a new website: http://www.cdrace1.com/ . I'd ask my buddy who owns 2 of those engines but he's a little hard to find right now as he's in the middle of moving to another house.

oldlugs 06-13-2006 08:45 AM

David's contact info. is on his web site here: [link=http://www.cdrace1.com/]CD Machine[/link]

BradsMandella 06-13-2006 06:44 PM

Thanks again for the info!