RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Camouflage Painting (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/5136363-camouflage-painting.html)

bluestratos 12-19-2006 06:20 PM

Camouflage Painting

I need to do a two color camouflage scheme on my spitfire .. green over tan. I thought I would paint the tan first then the green. The egdes of the green need to be soft, I have been told to hold a mask a bit above the surface then spay along it. The patern from the spray can is pretty wide, I can see getting one good side this way but concerned about it fanning out too wide. How about air brushing? I could start with a soft edge then work inwards free hand. Any one done it this way or is the mask better. If the mask is the way to go.. could some one describe how they did it? Every detail will help.. :-)

Regards,
Randy

TLH101 12-19-2006 07:10 PM

RE: Camouflage Painting

I have used 3 different methods of camo painting. The first was with torn newspaper. I used doubled over masking tape on the back side to hold the paper about a 1/4" off the surface. Works fair, but hard to get a consitant edge. I have also just freehanded the second color, the use "000" steel wool to remove excess overspray. The third worked best for my last project. I taped off the line, and painted the second color, then removed the tape. next I used an airbrush along the hard line to soften the edge. That also lets you change the edge shape if needed.

bluestratos 12-19-2006 07:25 PM

when you did the third style with the airbrush.. could you see the over lap when airbrush color ( say green) when over the taped off color (green)?

Best regards,
Randy

gsmith6879 12-19-2006 09:52 PM

Google 3M Soft Edge Foam Masking Tape. It is a round foam tape. The sticky is only on one side. You can stick it to the surface to be painted and it leaves a soft edge when you spray the second color. I just finished my OV10 Bronco and it works great.

Richard L. 12-20-2006 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: bluestratos

How about air brushing?
I prefer freehand airbrushing, and it's almost second nature. Believe me, airbrushing camouflage on an RC plane is much easier than airbrushing a 1/48th scale plastic model.

Stickbuilder 12-21-2006 05:59 AM

If you camo the model, then by all that's right and holy, no one will see it anyway...:D I paint mine LOUD, so it can be seen. [8D]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

bluestratos 12-21-2006 11:22 AM

I picked up some of the soft edge tape from the local auto body supplier. Had to buy the whole box at $50 but now I have enough for a life time, lol. I tired a quick test yesterday and think it will work well. My first edge was a bit too soft but with that was with just one quick coat.

Thanks for you help on this.

Randy

gsmith6879 12-21-2006 07:46 PM

I bought a box off the internet for a few buck less and thought I had enough for a while. This stuff is so easy to use and you keep finding new ways to use it that I am about out of the first box on just the first airplane.

Good stuff.