Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

NB Jeep Rockcrawler Radio Range

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
eness76-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NB Jeep Rockcrawler Radio Range

Hi guys, thanks again for the help with the batteries. Well, I bought 2 silver rockcrawler for my son and myself, and tonight after he went to bed I snuck mine out into the yard for an evaluation. It has horrible radio range, I'm talking 15'. I tried it on 2 different bands, and I tried 2 different sets of transmitter batteries. The battery pack was charged over night so it should have been good to go. Otherwise if performed fine, perfect for what I was thinking, but this range is terrible. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM
cobra69

Default RE: NB Jeep Rockcrawler Radio Range

I've had several of these crawlers & had the same problem with some but not with others...
I thought it was just due to cheap electronics & mass production.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 PM
eness76-RCU

man if this is the case, these things are going back. you have to follow the thing around to even run it, outside of 10-15' and it goes dead. I took the transmitter apart and found the signal wire from the base of the antenna to the circuit board was crimped pretty bad by the transmitter shell when they put it together, so I replaced the wire and my results were still the same. That's just bogus if this is just how they are. I've had toy and hobby grade RC cars since the early 80's and I've never seen one this bad, and for a toy these things really aren't that cheap.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
cobra69

Yeah they don't sell cheap in stores.....The only reason i still tinker with them is i get them used..cheap at thrift stores & install h/g electronics...
Don't know what you paid or what you budget will allow, but the redcat rs10 is a good crawler for the price.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
eness76-RCU

well I got the other one out of the box and tested it and it is good for about 20'. I haven't bought a toy grade rc car since i was a kid, but if this is the quality of what is out there, new bright should be ashamed of themselves. When I was a kid I had the tyco turbo hoppers and the nikko panthers and stuff like that and they all had far better range then this. Heck with the turning radius of this thing on grass you can barely get it to make a circle before it gets out of range. This would be my son's first RC car, and I don't have the heart to give it to him, I think it would frustrate him and sour him on the experience more then anything. I was surprised to see it didn't have proportional steering as well. Oh well, lesson learned.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM
texx

.............. .... (( The pleasure is in the ((MODS))............

These products NEWBRIGHT, are rc / toys ..

Without some mods, they are good for the trash ..

((The forum and its members help us improve these rc / toys,))

Many have succeeded in their project, and others have failed ..

It's up to you to make your choice ..

You let your crawler as it is, or, like all other members of this forum, you make mods to your crawler, and with good mods, you will get good results ..

I give you an example, my personal crawlers ..

((YELLOW-CRAWLER/BIG-CRAWLER/BLACK-FLY/MIX-CRAWLER ..et others)) ..

Look at the thread of this forum to make you a little idea of what we can do to improve these rc / toys ..

We await your decision ..

thanks ..

AFTER BEFORE

The pleasure is in the ((MODS))

PS....

You can also watch several videos ... You can see them in action

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gao3LN_BCtU[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWVqwe2kxgE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKE0_GRoEkY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze0mFm-PPmg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcxKTQ9Y0AM[/youtube]

THANK ..

Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 AM
eness76-RCU

I have no problems with making mods, and I understand the fun of doing it, but I guess the starting point was a little different then I had hoped for. My son being able to stand in one place and run it arond the yard was really all I was hoping for. I figured with it's height and gearing it should be able to pull thru the grass, which it does fine, but I guess I never thought that range would be a problem on a yard that is 40' wide. I bought 2 with the intention of modding mine, and my son enjoying his "as is" for crusing around the yard and driveway, and just generally enjoying his first RC car experience. He is only 4 years old, but his RC IQ is very high for his age. He can already fly our blade mcx heli by himself. I've been flying airplanes and running RC cars for 28 years, so I have the know-how, I guess I expected more from the NBs though. I have never in my life encountered a RC product with such limited range. It may as well have a remote cord considering it gets out of range at 15'. Our yard isn't big and you can't even make laps around the yard with it. You literally have to follow it around to run it. When I was a kid the toy-grade RC cars I had were much better than this and that was many years ago. Are the other NB products like this, or do I have a couple lemons? Perhaps it is the 3v transmitters not producing much of a signal?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 AM
texx

I had several NEWBRIGHT, and radio range, was still very good .. 25/35 feet or more, if I remember correctly.

Check the antenna and your little 9 volt battery ..[8D]

PS ..
I'll check the appropriate radio range of YELLOW-CRAWLER, and I give you the result
Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 AM
texx

OK .. I have the result ( IN THE HOUSE ) .. 30/35 feet for YELLOW-CRAWLER ... RUBICON 1/10 NEWBRIGHT

See my LAND ROVER on the video .. it is stock, and a product NEWBRIGHT PRODUCE ..

The radiorange is very good[8D]
Old 11-24-2009, 11:14 AM
eness76-RCU

your transmitter is a 9v? The two I bought are 3V, 2AA. Maybe they changed something?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
texx

Sorry [], I made a small mistake with my other controller .. it is like yours ..

Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
cobra69

ORIGINAL: eness76-RCU

well I got the other one out of the box and tested it and it is good for about 20'. I haven't bought a toy grade rc car since i was a kid, but if this is the quality of what is out there, new bright should be ashamed of themselves. When I was a kid I had the tyco turbo hoppers and the nikko panthers and stuff like that and they all had far better range then this. Heck with the turning radius of this thing on grass you can barely get it to make a circle before it gets out of range. This would be my son's first RC car, and I don't have the heart to give it to him, I think it would frustrate him and sour him on the experience more then anything. I was surprised to see it didn't have proportional steering as well. Oh well, lesson learned.

Have you tried to run them together?....I was never able to run two at a time without Tx bleed-over.....no matter what band they were set on.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:04 PM
eness76-RCU

man that is pretty sad. Funny, their website says 80-100' is acceptable range. I don't know how they get away selling a product like this. Mine are going back to the store this evening. I'm just glad I checked them before Christmas morning. I guess I'll look for something else that'll roll thru the grass and actually have enough range to get around the yard. It won't be another New Bright product though.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
texx

Good decision ..

Look at this model at an affordable price ..((( COMPLETE KIT ..)))

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-RC-Rock...item25575fc8e1

Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
eness76-RCU

that is a sweet piece, but I think it's a little too complicated for him. If I decide to get him a hobby grade, I may just get him a traxxas stampede. Spare parts are readily available and I can set the speed control to the beginner mode for him. I have a propulse truck that is a few years old I can dust off and run with him.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
texx

I'm sorry for the trouble that the purchases you have made,[]

I understand you very well when you say that newbright are not very good .. (Model 1 / 6 is better .. BIG-CRAWLER )

But I had fun making their mods ..

My next purchase will be quality HG .. [sm=thumbup.gif]

THANK
Old 11-24-2009, 06:12 PM
eness76-RCU

Texx, you have done some really cool stuff with this crawler, excellent modifications. I liked everything about this crawler except the range. If the range was as advertised I would be all over it.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:30 PM
texx

eness76-RCU ..

Thank you for those kind words ..

I've always done my best for these newbright, but the time has come for me to move on ..

I made some mods to my Polaris snowmobile, but the snow is still falling ..

BIG-CRAWLER still works very well and he is resting until the summer.

I watch the new projects on the forum, and I always hope to find a gem (rc jeeps, rc truck) at a flea market in my area ..

To start a new project ..

THANK ..

PS ..

The range of BIG-crawler is very good .. I install a system kit FUTABA esc ..

See my thread BIG-CRAWLER ... for ESC ..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#9243354
##################################################

On this video, my newbright 1 / 6 LAND ROVER stock, has a good range radio ..

BIG-crawler has the same range .. but not the same speed

LAND-ROVER 1/6 STOCK ...Electronics Stock
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7XdC1qBA8U[/youtube]

BIG-CRAWLER 1/6 STOCK .. Electronics Stock....before ESC KIT .....Bad cam []
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZfeN-0XW2k[/youtube]
Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Jeffleslie06

I just ran mine and i get about 35 feet range, being powered by only 2 AA batteries i can understand, my Evader got really far reception but the Tx used 8 AA batteries. As for getting your son a Traxxas Stampede, i would because its 100% rebuildable if anything breaks, where as these NB's have no spare parts for consumers to buy. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-25-2009, 12:31 AM
rc theman

check on the electonics board sometimes the wire gets cut where you can see it, happened to me.