Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

c-130s

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c-130s

Looks good guys. I know of a hobby store worker in Burtonsville, MD that is building one with a wingspan of 13' and change. He is powering it with 4 Saito 91's. It is a very meticulous project for him and has been several years since he started. He plans to be very detailed with the scale work. I have not seen this yet and can't wait. I want to build one, but since I am newer to this sport, I will wait a few years.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: c-130s

The bird flew.. 4 flights in one day. More to come and pics. Jim
Old 09-09-2003, 06:29 PM

Now more of an update. The first take off was aborted at the end of a 500' grass runway. The belly of the fuse was causing drag in the high grass and due to the size of it and 22# total weight the plane would not lift off. The next take off was with full flaps, the nose wheel lifted at about mid runway point and 100' later the main wheels lifted. After lift off she just climbed out under full power of 4 hard working saito .30's. I was suprised at 22# of weight with .30's. But the plane flew solid. The trim on the elev. was way off due to full flaps at lift off. The first landing was a bit bouncy for the big bird due to sensitive elevator and getting a bit slow. The real bird would have called this an assult landing. The second landing was much better not a greezer,, but close. Elev needs expo to help out and mixing of flaps into elev. Movies and digital photos were taken, but I still have film camera. When other guys send copies I will forward flight photos.

Would not have lifted off without flaps. Main gear should have been lower to lift body higher in grass, (I will look at modification). Engines ran great for new engines. #4 was low compression and I was beginning to think it would need to go to Horizon for repairs as it only has 1.5 hrs on it. But at the end of the run compression was up. Air bleed carbs,, ?? still have questions about getting the bottom ends right. No 2 engines are close to the same idle under 3500. More later
Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update, Jim. Appreciate all the detail, especially about the gear. I will have to keep that in mind when I get to that point. I have the same "belly draggin' problem with my Transall if the grass isn't cut really short. Good info. Congrats on the successful flight.
Randy
Old 09-09-2003, 07:01 PM

I have a 15 sec. QT video. Is there any way to post? thanks Jim
Old 09-09-2003, 07:24 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Randy, you said you have a transall. What size and who makes the aircraft?
Doane
Old 09-11-2003, 04:13 PM

I got it from Giant Scale Planes. (giantscaleplanes.com) It is good looking and good flying plane. It was my first ARF, but probably won't be my last. 72" span, O.S. .25LA for power. Light as a feather. Everybody who looks at it wonders how the .25's will fly it till they pick it up. Has a big, fat, round fiberglass fuselage, but nothing inside! I thought it was a heck of a deal for a twin ARF.
Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80376.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	60665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37102.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	60666  
Old 09-11-2003, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (13)

I'm alwas looking out for my next project. That's why I asked. Have my eye on the 130 and also waiting to see the developement of the kingair Mike James is currently undertaking. Thanks.
[sm=thumbup.gif]Doane
Old 09-12-2003, 03:03 PM

The twin looks great,, too bad they don't make the C130. Update on mine. It now has 4 flights. What I have learned is it is too low on the belly and drags in the grass slowing take off, but what a brake on landing. I have lowered the main gear 3/4" and increased the wheel size to 3.5 in to fly off grass. I have also lowered the stab incident by 2 degrees. Must have had my glasses on wrong when I put it on> DAH.. It flew marginal last time but was controlable. Too much nose down, the stab should solve that issue. I may need to reduce the incident again after next flight. What I have learned is the flaps do work, and they will require large amounts of elevator change. I will measure and program this in my MP8 next flight. The 4 strokes .30 fly well plane weighs 22# dry. 16 oz of fuel on board. I expect a shorter take off roll next time with stab corrected. If the pics come through you will see the belly in the grass. Paint was Behr house paint and after dragging the belly the skinned up.

Name:	Yw67006.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	60868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23368.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	60869  
Old 09-12-2003, 03:35 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jim:

Just think how simple it would be to pave your runway. Haw.

Still looks good, I'm anticipating seeing it when you get the graphics on.

Bill.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:15 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Is that a gyro of fail safe poking through the top up by the front? Just wondering! It looks fabulous.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:31 PM

Outstanding job, Jim. Looks real nice. I can't wait to get started on mine. Been on order about a month now. Can't decide if I want to do it as a gunship or in aluminum scheme like the one I flew to Thailand on.
Are your wheel wells open to the fuselage? the Transall wheel wells are open and those 4 wheels on each side act like a yard sweeper. After the first couple times I flew it, I looked in the aft fuselage and there was this clump of grass back there. Had me puzzled for a minute till I figured how it was getting in there! Now when I take it apart I have to turn it upside down and shake the grass out of it. Might try to do sojmething about closing them in.
Keep us informed with the reports.
Randy

(Where did you finally come up with the TAC decal for the tail?)
Old 09-13-2003, 09:03 AM

Default c-130 Lawn Mower

Had to laugh at the Transall catching grass. When I opened the 130 up I also found about 1/2 # of grass. The grass came through the main gear wheel well. Consider though the belly was dragging the grass, but this made cool weathering on the belly. I left the marking. Real one had similar markings from dirt/PSP landings.
Now the paved runway. Our club has let us say hold outs that grass is better. I guess if you can't hit the grass runway,, could you hit pavement... Most don't want pavement, but that is why most of the jets in our club have left to fly at other fields. I have 1 vote.

The little thingy on the top. It might be still classified. But lets say that mine had it and I know what it is. On the real bird when I flew it if the little thingy on top went out it would affect mission results. So I won't go into detail what it does, but it really was up there. Some had a slightly larger dome on top, can't go into what that did either.

Markings. The bird I flew had black start/bars. If you look close at pic,, there are black s/b's on the bird. The left wing you can barely see the s/b. The tail had the ACTUAL Tactical Air Command painted insignia. It is a scan of my patch, reduced, cleared up and made into decal by Doc.. Thanks Doc. The S/B were painted on from color S/B on the computer, stuck on with double sided sticky tape (thanks Will for the tip), Then cut out w/exacto and painted black.

I still need the PB white letters on the tail and the number 64-4781 the #'s of the bird I flew. I could not wait any longer for the white,, just had to test fly.

Weather looks rainy today with winds G to 12 Knots so probably will have to wait.

Next flight will be with all fixes previously mentioned and t/o w/o flaps for first flight.

Jim
Old 09-13-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Tac Decal

Photo of tail Tac Decal. I cleaned up the scan a bit and when reduced in size the fuzzy from sewing cleared up so it looks really cool on the tail. Doc made the actual decals of the Clearest scan. I went to usaf site and did search for patches. There is also a C130 site. Do a search for c130 hercules and you will find the site. Ji

Name:	Om33677.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	61042  
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2003, 03:48 PM

Default RE: Tac Decal

Jim,
Here's a site you might find interesting. You might be able to find that bird you flew and find out where it is-if it still IS. Someone on a vetrans net I'm on infomed me of it when I inquired as to the status of the one I flew to SEA on. Prettry much anything the AF ever had is on there, at least what they didn't care if you knew about!
Randy

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/usafserials.html
Old 09-13-2003, 07:11 PM

Default Tac Decal 3 more flights

Thanks for the site update. I actually found the plane that matches my log book. The tail number will not be 63 7781.

Update of flights 5 - 7. The stab reduction in incident helped a lot. Take off's still use full flaps but now flying with flaps up is possible but still need full up trim. This means I need to lower the stab about another 1/8" Must have had it way off.. Dumb builder I guess. Takeoff are very realistic. I was able to determine how much mixing needed for flap to elev. The amount was 40%. This will almost give level flight when flaps are deployed,, much more important it will allow the elev to compensate after take off. This is still being worked to refinement. (I know there are others watching for data and building the same plane). Ground performance was much better with wheels extended 7/8" more. The axle was at the belly level now it is 7/8" below the belly. This doesn't let the belly drag in the grass much.. But there still is grass inside the plane after flying. The saito 30 on 4 oz of 15 % cool power give 15 minutes running time so I limit flights to 8 minutes. More great video but on vcr. Pics will follow when I get them in email.

Next steps will be lower the leading edge of the stab another 1/8". This should be about right. Then more test flying.

Pulled up the gear today and made fly by with gear/flaps up. (Mains don't retract).

Getting better. Jim
Old 09-14-2003, 09:31 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Nice looking Herc

Jimcork1, Nice looking herc you got there. I myself am just in the starting stages of building an Palmer plans C-130 132"ws. Noticed your comment in post #34 about belly dragging on the grass. I have the same worries too as i checked with the plans and there is only 2" of clearance below the fuselage with using 4.5" MLG wheels. Also the grass inside, is also an issue i thought might be a problem, so i'll probably stick to paved runways, but they are few paved runways in my area in Southern Ont. (for RC) I plan on using RCV-90's 4 stroke with 4 blade carbon fiber props. I'll include some pics. The props are still in the development stage.

http://www.propellers.us/prop1a.jpg
http://www.propellers.us/prop1.jpg
http://www.propellers.us/prop.jpg

Name:	Zx71512.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	61201  
Old 09-14-2003, 04:13 PM

Default RE: c-130s -TAC DECAL

Hi,

I am enclosing the AIR COMBAT COMMAND which is has a very close emblem to the TAC one. Maybe if you can changed the wording it should be OK.

Reuben
Old 09-14-2003, 04:15 PM

Default RE: c-130s -TAC DECAL

oops..decal attached.

Name:	If10777.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	61305  
Old 09-14-2003, 04:35 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The emblem looks good on the tail, glad to see it came out so nice. I have the file set up to cut your numbers and letters, will try and do this on Monday and get them out to you before Tuesday. They are simple to apply and will really dress that bird up. If you want I can make you another deacl using the emblem provided here, just let me know.
Tommy
Old 09-16-2003, 02:11 PM

Default Herk in the air

Ok folks,, airborne Looks so much like the big herk in the air I caught myself focusing on what it looked like vs flying. Still working out the bugs. Getting the engines right. The needle valve extension was too long vibrating causing the engines to sag out due to air pulled pass the o-ring. New o-rings being sent by saito/horizon. Thanks for their tips on engine set up. Photos attached.

Name:	Qo38908.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	61682   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44907.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	61683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56064.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	61684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58247.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	61685  
Old 09-16-2003, 02:24 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jim:

Ya' done good!

Bill.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:49 PM

Great pictures, Jim. Man, I can hardly wait to get started on mine. Getting itchy now, been waiting a month for it. Keep us posted.
Randy
Old 09-17-2003, 08:52 AM

Default c-130 wing joiner

I used Dave Brown Sorgum contact cement for the wing sheeting. I found a slight delaminatiion of the wing at the joiner tube. This could be from one of two reasons.

1) the joiner tube is 12" long and should have been longer

If possible I would make the joiner 24" to spread the loads over larger area.

2) did not get a good bond on the wing sheeting. (I followed directions exactly)

I might use Gorilla glue next time.

I have pealed the sheeting back and injected 30 min epoxy (not an air cure product) into the wing and sealed it back. Hopefully there is no more delaminating.

More test flying today. Jim
Old 09-18-2003, 02:28 PM

Jim,
By the looks of the pictures, it appears that the canopy/cockpit area is removeable on the plane. Was it made that way or did you add that feature? I did that on my TF DC-3, and was glad I did due to the addition of weight I had to add.
Randy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.