RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   Dura trax Vendetta or team Associated RC18 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8313769-dura-trax-vendetta-team-associated-rc18.html)

Nitro-4 Tec 3.3 01-03-2009 03:40 PM

Dura trax Vendetta or team Associated RC18

which of these do you think is better, i dont know if dura trax is a good trademark, but i know associated is great, i plan to install a brushless motor and better servos after getting used to them, any suggestion will be great!:D

thank you for any help!:)

Metallover 01-03-2009 03:57 PM

RE: Dura trax Vendetta or team Associated RC18

Get a Vendetta! Put an ammo 28mm 3900 or 5100kv motor and it will fly. Read Jaejw1's motor review. Get a nice lipo too. Flighpower 1600mah 2s lipo is only like 30 bucks.

deanR 01-03-2009 07:16 PM

The vendetta platform is more brushless friendly than the rc18.

pinoyboy 01-03-2009 07:23 PM

the thing I like about the RC18 platform is that there is plenty of aftermarket support and at least for me, LHS carry associated parts, but not duratrax. Also, I like the bigger space for batteries, it gives you more options, especially lipo. Its a tough little truck, great for bashing. Its now a great option for racing with the after market chassis Exotek provides. It gives great balance and with the addition of the slipper, should make it very tough to beat.
http://www.exotekracing.com/EXOTEK_N...ONVERSION.html

FloridaDude 01-03-2009 07:56 PM

I would get the 18B if you dont want to put money into it right when you buy it, because the stock Vendetta battery is crap. But as said its more brushless friendly.

Nitro-4 Tec 3.3 01-05-2009 03:48 PM

ok guys, but in a stock form which one is the best??

thanks for the help!;)

RC_Heli 01-05-2009 04:06 PM

Team Associated vs. DuraTrax.

I would have to say Team Associated for the win!

The factory team kit is the way to go if you are going brushless and all ready have a radio.

IMO there is a lot of hype for the Vendetta because it's newer, not because it's better.

Either way you will find your self upgrading axles and diffs. for both the DuraTrax or Team Associated.

jaejw1 01-05-2009 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: RC_Heli

The factory team kit is the way to go if you are going brushless and all ready have a radio.

IMO there is a lot of hype for the Vendetta because it's newer, not because it's better.

Either way you will find your self upgrading axles and diffs. for both the DuraTrax or Team Associated.

i had a rc18t,,, and the first day driving the stock vendetta.. after driving my 8000kv powered rc18t ,, i put the rc18t in the closet and never ran it again..

the vendetta out of box is just so much easier to drive..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iocHnpy2ps this is my race against the previous year winner.. (who one the race.. red rc18t).. another rc18t and 2 tamiya frogs..

demonstration of the neu 1105/1.5y... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iZuUoax6O8

my race against 10th scale trucks.. got second place.. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...93510604&hl=en

RC_Heli 01-05-2009 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: jaejw1

i had a rc18t,,, and the first day driving the stock vendetta.. after driving my 8000kv powered rc18t ,, i put the rc18t in the closet and never ran it again..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iocHnpy2ps this is my race against the previous year winner.. (who one the race.. red rc18t).. another rc18t and 2 tamiya frogs..

demonstration of the neu 1105/1.5y... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iZuUoax6O8

my race against 10th scale trucks.. got second place.. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...93510604&hl=en
Did you just say that the guy that won last years race used the RC18T and also won this year with the RC18T?
There has got to be a reason he chooses the Team Associated RC18T..... ;)

FloridaDude 01-05-2009 10:53 PM

out of the box get the RC18T. The detta esc has to be set each time you turn car on.

Gex_61 01-06-2009 02:50 AM

Associated 1/18 RC18B Factory Team Kit

jaejw1 01-06-2009 12:00 PM

Did you just say that the guy that won last years race used the RC18T and also won this year with the RC18T?
There has got to be a reason he chooses the Team Associated RC18T..... ;)

it is very obvious that you didnt watch the video... i was 30 seconds in the lead when my esc went into failure.. it took him a lap and a half to catch up and that is how he took the lead.. he was runing a tekin speed controler.. with a aon 4900kv motor and wide arms with half8th tires ..... i could have lapped him had it not been for electrical failure.. watch the video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iocHnpy2ps

JatoGuy 01-06-2009 03:42 PM

If you plan on leaving stock for awhile then rc18 all the way. From the box it gets great runtime and has decent electronics and can take a beating. Good for smooth carpet and well groomed dirt. No problems with BL in my experience. Negatives are steering slop and open spur gear.

Vendetta is a good racing platform but has many more headaches associated with it from the box. Stable on rougher tracks because of larger wheels and weight. Electronics (esc, batt) are useless. Breaks a lot of hubs very easily. Some say its more BL friendly and I cant confirm or deny.

If you want a nice racer and are willing to build either will do. But in that case I would go xray (parts support with that and the Vendetta may be low locally)

FYI - Not sure if your into it but some of the larger 1/18th scale races/organizations consider the Vendetta a monster truck because of its larger stock wheels, also has a larger chassis. So it cant even be run in the same class.

jaejw1 01-06-2009 04:33 PM

a magazine did a minishootout a coupleof years ago.... eventhough the rc18t wonthe shootout,,,, the listed the vendetta as having the fastest laptime,,smoothest ride ,, and the mostfunto drive.... they knocked points offfor stupid reasons,,,,, leaving the rc18t to take the lead....

the vendetta is very popular worldwide as being the race vehicle to get,,,

and yes while the vendetta is slightly larger,,, but not by much,, it is still raced on carpet and dirt

the breakage has been fixed in the buggy withthe purchase of the pillowball set which the vendetta ST comes stock with....

the vendetta ST,,, is more stable on rough tracks,,, can handle monster motors with tons of power/torque and has support from different other companies....

I love both of mine and have since retired the rc18t.... the vendetta is much easier to drive evenin stock form,,, the electronics might not be the best ,, but whoever keeps the stock electronics.... even my rc18t stock escaped wentout within the first month....

check youtube for races,,,, and see whats driven....

HPIFreak 01-07-2009 02:21 AM

the Vendetta ST was the first mini i got, so i dont know much about the RC18T. however, i got my Vendetta to race against my friend who has an RC18T. i went brushless with the ammo 5100Kv and Mamba ESC, and he went brushless with a Mamba 8000Kv. when we went to the track to race and compair, my Vendetta Blew the PANTS off his RC18T. he broke a LOT, i never broke one part. his gears were always stripping, i bought spare gears but never had to use them. by the end of the day, he put his RC18T on ebay and got a Vendetta ST.

before we raced, he was SO proud of his RC18T and spoke the WORLD about it. he thought his was SO much faster and better than any Duratrax piece of crap. but after running against it (and i even let him run it), HANDS DOWN, he admitted he loved my Vendetta WAY more. that comming from an RC18T dude.

Gex_61 01-07-2009 06:07 AM

Fact, I have never broken a plastic chassis or suspension part on my rc18 in over 2.5 years.

The rc18's input gear problem is probably my biggest frustration, although I have been extremely happy with the GPM steel gears. I am only using the steel input gear with a plastic diff gear. No problems yet; I've been using the same gears for a while now.

it is very obvious that you didnt watch the video... i was 30 seconds in the lead when my esc went into failure.. it took him a lap and a half to catch up and that is how he took the lead.. he was runing a tekin speed controler.. with a aon 4900kv motor and wide arms with half8th tires ..... i could have lapped him had it not been for electrical failure.. watch the video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iocHnpy2ps
I've beaten Vendettas at my local track by laps. Does that even things up?

a magazine did a minishootout a coupleof years ago.... eventhough the rc18t wonthe shootout,,,, the listed the vendetta as having the fastest laptime,,smoothest ride ,, and the mostfunto drive.... they knocked points offfor stupid reasons,,,,, leaving the rc18t to take the lead....

the vendetta is very popular worldwide as being the race vehicle to get,,,

and yes while the vendetta is slightly larger,,, but not by much,, it is still raced on carpet and dirt

the breakage has been fixed in the buggy withthe purchase of the pillowball set which the vendetta ST comes stock with....

the vendetta ST,,, is more stable on rough tracks,,, can handle monster motors with tons of power/torque and has support from different other companies....

I love both of mine and have since retired the rc18t.... the vendetta is much easier to drive evenin stock form,,, the electronics might not be the best ,, but whoever keeps the stock electronics.... even my rc18t stock escaped wentout within the first month....

check youtube for races,,,, and see whats driven....
I don't trust magazines. I don't care which car they say is best. The same goes for YouTube videos.

The vendetta is larger and heavier by quite a bit. I personally know it takes more motor and power to keep it going. The Vendetta's run time is much less. This doesn't matter in an open class, but if you were to hand out the same motors and batteries to all of the "1/18 vehicles", (the mini-t beats them all, hehe) I would imagine the vendetta finishing last. Our stock 1/18 class only allows the use of the Orion Baja. The Vendetta is the only exception.

I like the RC18 more. My Vendetta will probably be on eBay shortly. I might get one at a later time, but I would want to upgrade it. Right now I have one that is stock, and I don't need it for anything. The rc18 is better in stock form. It also handles bumps just fine.

jaejw1 01-07-2009 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Gex_61

I don't trust magazines. I don't care which car they say is best. The same goes for YouTube videos.

the youtube videos are facts... it backs up ppls claims of whats good and what isnt... and im not talking about the manufacturers videos... talking only about homemade videos.. race and bash

HPIFreak 01-07-2009 11:34 AM

the selling point on the vendetta is that it handles just like my 1/8 scale RC. my buddy who had an RC18T loved his, untill he drove mine. his was fast, but it was qerky, unstable, and very unconsistant. but the Vendetta, it was very stable, reliable, consistant, and just as fast with the ammo motor. it even jumps like my 1/8 truggy. gas it and the nose comes up, brake and the nose comes down. i thought i was driving my real truggy, the memory of how i controlled my MBX5T transferred right over to the mini and it was easy to drive thr Vendetta ST like a pro. and yes, the Vendetta DOES weigh more, HOWEVER, this added weight doubled up with the brushless combo seems to give it more stability and makes it easier to control.

HOWEVER, i did have to put a considerable amount of money into it to get it there. Steel CVDs (2 sets), Steel ball Diffs (2 sets), Aluminim upper A-Arms, Ammo 5100Kv motor, Mamba 25 ESC, Venom Lipo 1800MAH battery.

BUT, the RC18T we were compairing it to also had an equal amount of money into it, and the Vendetta was still better.

DettaDude 01-07-2009 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Nitro-4 Tec 3.3

which of these do you think is better, i dont know if dura trax is a good trademark, but i know associated is great, i plan to install a brushless motor and better servos after getting used to them, any suggestion will be great!:D

ok guys, but in a stock form which one is the best??

thanks for the help!;)
I own both, so perhaps I can offer some candid views.

First ~ I am going to suggest the age-old RC adage: buy what your local hobby shop supports/carries, it makes it easier to get replacement parts when you break stuff. And you will break stuff.
Second ~ While there appears to be a log of people on either side of the fence, and a lot of brand-whoring, I see very little in the way of realistic comparisons amoungst people that own both. If there was, people would be telling you that the buggy versions made by both manufacturers are very close in their stock configuration.
Third ~ Some misconceptions: neither is any more succeptible to breaking than the other (that totally comes down to the user and how the drive and treat their car), out of the box they BOTH could stand some upgrading (but what RC on the market doesn't?), neither is any more Brushless user friendly than the other (they both have many options available), the RC18 has a wider following purely because the company is better known and more widely available in the U.S. (because it's made by a U.S.-based company) but the Vendetta is actually made by "Anderson" (a European-based company) and is sold under various banners other than Duratrax around the world, both have aftermarket carbonfiber chassis kits available (made by Exotek or LRP) and both have a bevy of upgrade and hop-up parts readily available to anyone that bothers looking on the Internet, both vehicles' stock electronics suck.
Fourth ~ The big advantage the Vendetta has is three things: a totally sealed drivetrain (while the RC18's is exposed to every little rock or pebble that finds its way to the spur and pinion gear), the fact that they come with larger rims and tires (that allow it to get through bumps and ruts that would bog down or cause the RC18 to drag or get hung up), and the Vendetta's larger 1/10th scale sized servo that is made by Futaba (name brand) and is tough enough to really never need replacing even if you upgrade the rest of the electronics (while the stock AE servo is puny and weak).
Fifth ~ The only real advantage I see for the RC18 is the versatility of the platform, allowing the user to quickly change the layout and look from buggy to truck to monster truck with basically a body and wheel change.
Sixth ~ If geared comparatively (taking into account the difference in FDR) with similar batteries and motors both perform about the same and have similar speeds out of the box.
Seventh ~ Racing-wise, on a nationals level (backyard or club racing really doesn't count as you really don't know who you're dealing with) both platforms have performed admirably and won national titles in the hands of skilled pilots.
Eight ~ Someone's videos on youtube really account for little in the real world. Never have you seen someone post a video in which they got killed, only the ones where they win, and people only post videos as a way of bragging "Hey, look at me!" and showing off. (sorry guys, time to get real)
Ninth ~ There is only one so-called racing organization that has deemed the Vendetta ST a monster truck, and it's a small track in one of the smallest states in the country that just so happens to hold one of the many races that could fall under the definition of "Mini/Micro Nationals" but just because they say it so doesn't mean it is fact. The truth is that the Vendettas are raced all around country and around the world head-to-head against the RC18 in the same class.
Tenth ~ Both of these cars have their good points and their bad points, as does EVERY single car or truck on the market. Don't let yourself be swayed by rumor or inuendo or fast-talk or boasting. Every car can be a piece of crap if you don't take care of it and abuse it, and every car can be very good if tuned properly and it's maintained.

It's your choice and your decision. :D

Mr. Mugen 01-07-2009 12:16 PM

I too owned both. I would have to say it's just a personal preference as to which one is better. I now own 2 18b's and NO detta's. Personally didn't like the detta's for my tastes. Not a bashing car IMO. The 18b can take the most pounding I have ever given a r/c. Like I said in another post....mine must have been made on wednesday.....it is a solid car and speed is never a problem with my drivetrain......so far.

Just my .02
Kevin

Nitro-4 Tec 3.3 01-07-2009 08:12 PM

ok, I dont think that i am going to race, since i have my revo 3.3, jato 3.3 and more that i actualy race, this is going to be only for bashing.
if i get the vendetta i will put this motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXURX8&P=ML will it fit both (vendetta and rc18b)??[X(]
is there any way of puting a standar servo un the rc18b??:eek:

thank you guys for all the the help you have given me:D!!

RC_Heli 01-07-2009 08:20 PM

lol, He goes for the Vendetta after all. :)
yup, that will fit RC18's, I have the 6800kv installed in my 18R.

It is purely preference after all, just like radio equipment!
Next thread JR/Spektrum VS Futaba/Airtronics, lol

JatoGuy 01-07-2009 08:58 PM

ok, I dont think that i am going to race, since i have my revo 3.3, jato 3.3 and more that i actualy race, this is going to be only for bashing.
if i get the vendetta i will put this motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXURX8&P=ML will it fit both (vendetta and rc18b)??[X(]
is there any way of puting a standar servo un the rc18b??:eek:

thank you guys for all the the help you have given me:D!!
The Castke 8000kv wont perform properly in the Vendetta and is overkill in the RC 18. A 6800 is plenty for the Rc18 and will work with no mods. You can use the Sidewinder or mamba max ESc (1/18 or 1/10) in the Vendetta with an ammo brushless motor of choice (it will require some minor dremal work and different pinions to fit on the shaft).

Edit: as far as i know there is no way to put a standard servo with the 18's stock chassis. The servo on the 18 isnt the problem as much as the sloppy steering system. I think its built loose to aid in durability. $12 tightens it up nice and it takes some punishment. The detta steers much better out of the box and and at most needs a hold down for the servo (its held down by servo tape).

Nitro-4 Tec 3.3 01-07-2009 09:02 PM

what do you mean?:eek:
is the rc18 going to explode whit the miserable amount of 8000kv??? [X(][&o]lol

JatoGuy 01-07-2009 09:11 PM

what do you mean?:eek:
is the rc18 going to explode whit the miserable amount of 8000kv??? [X(][&o]lol
Not following? Cant tell if thats sarcasm or what. The castle motors are to small to perform properly in the heavier Vendettas. An 8000kv in a 18b is going to give you plenty of unusable power, higher temps, and shorter runtimes. Can you run it ? Will it scream? Sure it will, but most will agree the negatives outweigh the positives.