Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Hangar 9 Edge 540 >

Hangar 9 Edge 540

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hangar 9 Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Edge 540

Hey i was right about to get the funtana s for my next and second airplane. But now im thinking about the hangar 9 edge 540. It seems a little expensive, but i think it is worth it. Does anyone think i could be able to fly it? Im perfect with my avistar now. Also, the main reason i want this insted of the funtana is bc it is equally well in 3D and precision fast flying. In one of my older threads, people kept saying that the funtana wasnt made to fly fast bc it was strictly 3D, not precision for quick flying. I dont know. But if i get it, ill get the JR XP662 6 channel radio and i have not decided on an engine yet though. Also, ill be hooked up to a buddy box again to get used to it. I dunno, you tell me!
Old 10-20-2003, 11:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hangar 9 Edge 540

Avistar to Edge 540
Geo Metro to Porsche 911 Turbo
You should really consider a plane in between.Buy the engine and radio you need for the Edge or Funtana,then put it into a plane that is managable and will take well to throw and CG increases.When you have mastered that to the point of boredom,get yourself a hotrod of choice.Get a decent Arf if you dont wanna build,you can sell it after, and put the money toward whatever.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:45 PM

To answer the Funtana question about speed and precision.In good hands it is very precise and IMAC style can easily be flown.What is more impressive? Fast passes and out sight verticals? Knife edge flight with snaps that break your neck and blurred spins?
Or low and daring,scale,in your face,full stall aerobatics,with the option to run clean up lines and perfect point rools...and whatever you can dream up and make happen?Everybody is different, when you go to an airshow we have the jets doing their routine,and then typically a prop plane over the runway twisting turning spinning,stalling.
It's personal preferance I guess.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:54 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Hanger 9 Edge 540 is not a 2nd plane, nor a 3rd plane... no matter how skilled you are. Its just not a plane to take the giant scale step.

I would say a 3d/sport plane, then a 120 size extra or something and then that. The h9 edge 540 is outdated though and there are many new better planes.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:45 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Definitely not a second plane.
Mike
Old 10-21-2003, 10:44 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Sounds like you really want a pattern ship (fast & aerobatic). I know there are some cheaper 40 - 60 sizes. You could run a 46fx or 61fx or 91 fx on these. They would satisfy your need for speed and aerobatics without breaking the bank like a h9 edge 540 would
Old 10-21-2003, 08:18 PM

Yeah but a friend at my field let me try his 1.50 extra 300s with very high altitude.
I just flew basic passes at 1/3 throttle and the only difference between that and my avistar was speed and no "self righting" characteristics. Other than that, I felt somewhat comfortable (considering it wasnt my airplane) flying it. And the person who taught me how to fly periord is #4 ranked in the USA and ill just use a box or training system for a while. The main reason i wanna go to that is bc i dont wanna spend mad money "moving up" to slightly better planes. I dont know but nitro wing said the funtana will have the speed and precision too so i may go with that. Good choice???
Old 10-21-2003, 08:43 PM

The Funtana is a completely different from the H-9 Edge.Flying a plane at 200 ft. is much different than landing and taking off a Plane such as the Futana or the Edge.My 8 yr.old son flies my 35% Edge,but won't land it.There are much better planes than the H-9 Edge to go with.The Lanier Edge flies eaiser than the H-9.The Creek Katana is also a good flying plane that lands well.Sounds like you have your mind made up though,good luck.Last thing,if you recently went solo,why would you want to get back on the box?You'll have a lot more fun flying something you can handle by yourself.JMO,
Mike
Old 10-22-2003, 04:10 PM

I would go back to the box definately to "get the hang" of a new plane especially for the sake of not crashing a $700 piece of art. Also, id do it to get used to no dihedral like my trainer.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:12 PM
My Feedback: (67)

The Hanger 9 Ultra Stik would make a great second plane, then for your 3rd plane a 60 to 90 size Extra 300 (GP Extra300 ARF)
Then when your fingers and brain know how to Think ahead of the plane. and can incorprate rudder and trottle usage to compensate for wind conditions. Then your ready for the Hanger 9
Edge 540.
Dont hurry your self because all's you will creat is bad flying habbits, and it is very frustrating to change or fix bad habbits.
Look at it this way, We all had to crawl before we could walk, and after walking we learned to run.
Get your self a good relyable Stik anywhere from a 40 to 120 size and start learning to walk. When you mastered the basics of arobatics buy a 60 size Extra 300 and learn to Run, and when you go to the Edge 540, you'll be able to run like hell and have fun at the same time.
NEDYOB
Old 10-22-2003, 06:37 PM

Varad.

I have to say, sounds like good advice. If you're thinking about going back to a buddy box you shouldn't be looking at a big heavy expensive plane. As someone said big difference between flying and landing. Big birds tend to come in pretty hot and you have to be happy flying that way and holding tem on the deck. The other issue is safety. The damage that could be caused (not to the model) if you get it wrong is un-thinkable.

When you get to the stage where you will test fly and trim someone elses model for them that is probably a good indication that you are ready for a "hot Rod".

You might get away with the funtana with loads of expo dialed in (like 80%). This is 3D so it will fly fairly slow and if you drop a wing those big ailerons will pick it up for you.

For what it's worth I would recommend a fun fly as your next model.

Rated down it'll fly like a trainer. High rates will do just about anything you can imagine (although knife edge might be a bit weak). This sort of model is always worth keeping as a pracice model/hack/training for new moves so it won't be a waste of money. You'll also get away with much cheaper radio, not the 65 bucks a pop jobs you'll want for the Edge.

Don't mean to put you down and your flyingmaybe excellent, but I think myself and others are trying to steer you towards something you'll enjoy and keep your interest, rather than a brief moment of glory followed possibly by a big bill and resignation from the hobby.

If you're woried about thing like lack of dihedral I'm affraid you've got a little way to go yet.

Good luck wih what ever way you do go. Let us know how you get on, paicularly if you proove us all wrong.

sj.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:32 PM

Hi Varad
I didnt mean that the Funtana could or should be flown at a high rate of speed,but I was trying to imply that it could fly imac style(at a slower pace and closer in,which looks cool) and 3D during the same flight.I dont want to steer you onto this aircraft either,as experimenting and some knowledge of aircraft set up are vital to make it fly well.
I agree with everyone else,to get an intermediate bird and get good,really good with it.You may flown an Extra with comfort the other day,but you'll find if you have a very capable aircraft,you WILL push it into some dangerous situations,while you experiment with new moves.I have witnessed this many times,and it ended up in a really disapointing bad crash.Then usually the Question arises from the shaken pilot is: "What happened? all I did.......and then........maybe the radio went weird?
Get a Tiger or Fourstar or an Ultra sport,they are agile and stable
Old 10-23-2003, 06:37 PM

I have vowed that ill never get a stick. Sorry. Theyre the ugliest things ever, worse than a trainer. What i think is if youre gonna fly a plane, make sure its a plane. Well, After 2 days i soloed my avistar and after 5 im doing everything ( loops. rolls, immelmans, split esses, practising inverted flight, etc etc etc.) In other words, i think i pick stuff up rather quickly and i do not think the funtana will be a great problem if i hook it up to a cord at first and be generous with exponential. Theres one problem, i called horizon hobby. Funtana is out of stock till end of november. Great.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:30 PM

No matter how ugly sticks are they are excellent second airplanes. They are easier to land than trainers and they are quite capable of doing areobatics. I may even go as far as recommend a stick for a trainer. Seriosly the stick is good step up because it lands easily and you can get comfortable with areobatics. I've got a 1/3 and 1/4 scale extra and am now putting tagether a 40 size ultra stick to have something small to fly, I think it'll do pretty good at some 3d maneuvers too.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:59 PM

My First Landing was so perfect the old guys at the field couldnt believe it. I am very comfortable with aerobatics. Why should i get a stick. wait...think about it. Its called a STICK. That turns me off already. Why should i get another trainer? I want to move up. Wow. It flys 5 mph faster and probabaly still has a semi sym airfoil like my trainer. No way. Funtana S...Yes Way.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:32 PM
My Feedback: (67)

We are not try to hold you back here.Only trying to pass on good advise. Sounds like you have already made up you mind on what plane your buying.If your heart is set. No one will change your mind.
If a Fantana is what you want, go for it.
If there sold out til the end of November. Check out the ones for sale on RCU in the For Sale sectoin.
Happy building and we will see ya in the crash section.
NEDYOB
Old 10-23-2003, 08:41 PM

There are as many ways to learn something as there are people learning....

If you want an aerobatics plane fine, go for it. I have taught many people to fly and see this all the time and while there are a few students that learn on a trainer and then somehow manage to learn to master their second plane, a P-51, Extra, Edge etc. , the vast majority that go this route learn the hard way. Then they give in and buy a stick after they drive their "work of art" into the ground. Worse yet they get disgusted and quit the hobby all together...

No matter how much of a "natural" you might think you are I promise you that when an aerobatics design snaps hard, you won't be able to react fast enough. Knowing what is wise to try with one of these designs is something that is learned slowly and is worked up to with experience, patence and prudence.

I think that all here just want to ensure your continued success in the hobby.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:54 PM

I say trash the buddy box idea and go straight for the Funtana solo!!!Sounds like you're convinced that you can skip intermediate and go straight for the good stuff.Who knows you may be right. Heck here's a # of our LHS that I think has one in stock. 1-800-264-7840.Go for it and enjoy the first flight,which may also be the last flight.I really hope that we are all wrong.
Mike
Old 10-23-2003, 10:18 PM

So you like the Funtana....Set it up so your gear will go into another aircraft down the road.let's say you want an Edge or Extra 300,Giles...
Get a .91 or Saito 100,four stroke,and good strong servos.
Built the Funtana.Set Cg at 5.5 inches,no more!,for now.All controll at max. 30 degrees and 20% expo,a little more on elevator.Put a second servo on the back to run the elevator seperate.Put in low profile or minis,as the body is narrow here.( you will need the weight to balance anyways).Have the engine run fully and completely reliable if new.
This aircraft is easy to step up as you become comfortable with it's settings.With this set up she is agile and stable,and will land well.The funtana is light and some areas may be weak so care must be taken on landings.Considerable damage will occur on hard dumpings.A 15x4w APC works well on these engines,but can really slow it down on final approach.Many others will have more input on this and I think it still is a large but manageable step for you.I only have 11 test flights on mine and she went from "friendly" to "Holy crap that was close "as I played with different set ups.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:40 PM

Thanks lv2rcav8
You have Faith! Watch...Ill even try to get footage of my first flight with it. Youll all be wrong! j/k. Well about the funtana, I heard that putting a .46 is too weak and you should drop in a .60 ( im talking two strokes). Is this true?
Old 10-23-2003, 11:02 PM

Varad!!
You are not doing your home work.
Study the threads.The Funtana will not be lively and educational,unless the engine is a .72 4 stroke or and .90 2 stroke and up..You will completely bomb this project unless the good advice by so many modellors is followed.A big motor will not make this plane harder to fly.The 46 belongs in your trainer.
You dont want a slightly better plane right? power it up, built it well,use good electronics.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:31 PM

I did the 46 in my funtana.

I'll be ordering a saito 100 at the end of the month.

Don't make the same mistake.

By the way the 4stroke is king because you want torque to spin up a large diameter prop with little pitch. This will give you a model thatpullsvertical with good authority, you neither need or want top speed, speed will just fold the model.

Look foward to the vid.

sj.

PS A magic extra looks like a plane and will be easie to learn with if you are still open to suggestions. Not flown one but from what I've seen it should be ideal for you. Wonder what others think?
Old 10-24-2003, 03:50 PM

Hey i think im gonna drop the funtana and edge 540 because im right about to get the bob violet models Bobcat Turbine jet. This one doesnt look all that hard to fly. The engine is a little expensive though. Can anyone tell me what turbine engine i should purchase? I want one with a lot of extra power. Ive only flown my avistar trainer and an extra for a few minutes, but i think im ready. Also, can anyone reccommend a good radio for it? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:51 PM

Oh yeah one more thing. Are turbines hard to keep the engines tuned?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:57 PM

Wait. Does anyone know of an easier to fly turbine for training?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.