Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Great Planes AT-6 Texan ARF >

Great Planes AT-6 Texan ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes AT-6 Texan ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes AT-6 Texan ARF

I am considering a GP AT6 Texan ARF for my next purchase.
Does anyone fly this? Have good/bad experiences you would
like to pass along? Flight characteristics? Glitches I need to be aware of before buying one. Thanks for your replys in advance. FG
Old 08-09-2003, 03:38 AM
My Feedback: (50)

Default Its' all good!

Not as scale as the Kyoshso, it flies great and has a nice reasonable price-tag...

I bought mine off good ole' RCU used but what a nice flier!

Mine has fixed gear but I would recommend going with retracts because they are worth the trouble, especially if you are flying off of pavement-

Take your time with the gas tank and make sure it is nice and level with your carb.

I have a Saito-65 in mine and it pulls it with authority- sounds great and ticks like a clock-

What engine you gonna use?
Old 08-09-2003, 01:38 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default Building GP AT-6

I'm in the final stages of building a GP AT-6, and I've been very happy with the kit.

I, too, bought mine NIB off a gentleman on this forum. A lot of people like to bash the GP ARF's, but I've had good luck with them. I wouldn't trade my SpaceWalker for anything!

I'm using fixed gear since I fly off grass, and powering with a Magnum .80 4 stroke. That's plenty of engine for this plane, but I got such a good deal on it I couldn't pass it up.

My mods to the kit include a 1/16" ply reinforcement plate for the wing hold down bolts, a little beefing up of the landing gear area, and extra fuel proofing behind the firewall.

It may not be "true scale", but it looks great to me! Can't wait to fly her.

Scott
Old 08-09-2003, 11:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Bought mine new back when they were $149, hehe. Saito .56, Top Flight Radial Eng. Kit. A fine flying plane that can do standard aerobatics.
The Saito .56 is a nice match and fits completely inside the cowl. I consider the
TF or other Radial engine kit a must - to function as a air baffle to improve cooling.
Your engine will be much happier with it and your plane will look nicer too.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:57 AM

I have an OS surpass 70 4S to use and I will be flying off of a rough grass strip. I have read so much about the wing and especially the landing gear area not being strong enough. What should I do about that situation? Thanks for your input.
This RCU is great for information. FG
Old 08-18-2003, 03:22 AM

I'm a beginner and AT-6 Texan attract my attention to much. Is this OK for my first flight?
Old 08-18-2003, 04:30 AM
My Feedback: (4)

I have this one with a Magnum 91 fs with retracts , with an 11-11 prop . When you leave the ground and the wheels fold up (that looks so cool 6'' of the ground ) watch out because she's gone .I dont know what the speed is but I can bet you it's over 100mph........Be sure to put extra glue on the servo tray, and set the throws and cg per instructions,,and I fly off grass and pavement ,,,,,,and to the last post . I hope your joking This would not be a good second plane for anyone .....maybe a good choice if you fly cap 232 or something like that.......Talk to someone at the field that you fly at and see what they say about it beeing your second plane
Old 11-14-2003, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Great Planes AT-6 Texan ARF

I put a magnum 80 in mine with retracts and smoke. It is untried as yet. Here is what the fuse looks like:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11506.gif
Views:	331
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	74744  
Old 11-14-2003, 09:22 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I have had the GP Texan and now have the Hangar 9 Texan. I would suggest the Hangar 9 over the GP. It is bigger and more stable than the GP. Very easy to see with the bright yellow and blue scheme. Also comes with pre installed retracts. Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:05 AM
My Feedback: (12)

I've got around 20 flights on my Great Planes Texan and it flies great with a Magnum .80FS. The only problem I have is landing it. In those 20 flights, I've ripped the landing gear out 3 times and damaged it on a couple others. Now, part of that is pilot error, but the gear mounting is very weak. The gear blocks are glued in with hot melt from the factory, and it's not up to the task.

I have since done a major rework of the landing gear mounting, and have yet to fly her since. I would recommend this airplane if you're willing to work through this issue, as it is one sweet looking and flying plane.

Name:	Rp42759.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	74893  
Old 11-18-2003, 01:43 AM
My Feedback: (10)

I had one for a while. It is a nice flyer and easy to land. I had an OS 91 4stroke and could almost hover it. I then put in a Saito 150 and after a couple flights, the engine ripped out the firewall in midair at 50% throttle. I'd suggest reinforcing the firewall and forward fuse on any arf, but definitely do it on this one. They recommend a Saito 100. That would be the best choice. The OS 91 is good, but the plane is relatively slow probably cuz of the big nose.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:09 AM

I have the hangar 9 texan and although its my first arf I am happy with my purchase. The covering job is excellent and except for a cracked canopy upon opening the box, and the firewall needing reinforcing it looks well built.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:57 PM

Hello!
No, this plane is very dificult to flight if this is your first time!
Try with a Trainer first, or another low-wing plane to start.
My GP Texan fly really nice, but LAND VERY FAST!
Good luck!!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:19 AM

Within 6 months with almost everyday flying, now I have:
1. Trainer (Phoenix)
2. T34 Mentor (World Models)
3. P51D Mustang (ModelTech)
4. P40 Warhawk (World Models)
5. Zero (EZ)
6. Looking forward for AT-6 Texan, but not sure which one is the best, GP or Hangar 9... hahahaa
Old 03-09-2004, 09:03 AM

I have an AT-6 with an OS 70II 4-stroke. It's a great flying plane with beautiful scale take-offs & landings. Before you fly it, go in & reinforce the landing gear. It is a very weak design. One of mine popped out on it's first taxi run. This plane looks great in the air!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:48 PM

I have to agree with t6 texan. Its a fast lander. I liked the plane alot but got tired of the landing and takeoff problems. It screws around on takeoff if not watched closely. I would have to say go for the H-9 Texan its bigger and more stable on takeoff and landing. I spent the extra money and way happier with the H-9 Texan.
Just my 2 pesos..
Good Luck What Ever Way You Go.....
Old 03-09-2004, 08:50 PM

I have a 70 Surpass in mine. Fly's great but that retracks are a pain. You need to bend them to fit and that weakens the struts. They bend on almost every landing. Other than that it's a good model.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:51 PM

Thanks a lot for your advise Warbirdnutty!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:34 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I don't think it'll ever fly as good as the Top Flite AT-6. That was one sweet flying Texan. The GP one should do OK. Without flaps it's best to do a wheel landing. If you could put flaps on then three pointers are the ticket.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2004, 11:04 PM
My Feedback: (24)

I have the Kyosho with a Magnum 61 4stroke. With retracts. I fly off of pressed sifted grave. Like pavement I guess. It flys good. I have flown 3 warbirds. A GP Corsair 40, a Kyosho PT17 Stearman bipe, and this texan. Only 2 are left. Care to guess which one bit the dust? The Corsair. It was a 40 size and I had a 61 2 stroke on it and it was still not enough. Anyway I love this texan. It looks really great in the air as would the GP Texan or the Hangar 9 one. I am planning on maybee getting that one becouse of size reasons and putting one a good 91 4stroke. My landings are kinda hairy also.

Name:	Ki20764.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	109805  
Old 03-03-2005, 07:16 AM

My first plane was a corsair and my 2nd was a kmp texan, basicly the same as the GP texan except fiberglass landing and taking off are dif. due to the amount of rudder you need to compensate for engine torque the plane will leave the ground its self as long as you have your speed up. slow speed stalls are common so your landings will have to be a bit faster or the plane will fall out of the sky. IMHO no you did not take to big a step