Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Goldberg Matrix >

Goldberg Matrix

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Matrix

I havent heard nor could I find any info on the Matrix...Its been out for a while now...anybody flying one and how does it pattern/3D?? I have a OS50SX just waiting for something to do.. TIA

Ron
Old 10-24-2004, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Matrix

The Matrix flies very nice ... a pal has it with a Rossi 53 and a Pitts style muffler. Plane comes in for landings really easy (not like a Magis Extra ok) and will prop hang on that set up. Knife edges are lovely ... go for it!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the response tiANci..I remember when these were first anounced there was quite an interest but have seen nothing on them since and the reviews in the magizines (if there is one) are always done by somebody who cant fly 3D or do anything but a loop and roll. 8^)

Ron
Old 10-26-2004, 07:22 AM

I've got one with a KRAFT 60 on it. it's nose heavy and I'm to lazy to put the CG where it's supose to be. It does fly great (pattern style), mine snaps pretty quick and to much elevator makes it uncontrolable when trying to recover I love this airplane for one reason...inverted flight. Love it for that. 3D....don't think so with mine. Flies a lot like my Great planes giles 202 Kit did. I think it's over priced as well...glad I got mine from a friend that didn't want it anymore.

If I put a smaller engine and put the CG in the right spot I'm sure it would be different...
Old 10-26-2004, 08:55 AM
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one with a SuperTigre .60 on it. I've been competing all year in
Sportsman pattern with it and doing fairly well. It's definitely more suited
to pattern than 3-D. It's a pretty good flying airplane but it's not really a
pattern ship and it's not really a 3-D ship , it's kinda middle of the road.
I also think it's overpriced for what you get. If you want an airplane to just
have fun with it flies pretty good and doesn't have any bad habits but if you
are serious and want to compete there are several better choices out there.

tommy s
Old 10-26-2004, 11:41 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one with a saito .72, it will do everything. Above with the snapping problem must be very nose heavy because mine will just go into a harrier with full up. Very cool plane!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:40 AM

Yeah it is! by about 2 inches.......
Old 11-02-2004, 11:00 AM
My Feedback: (20)

put the CG at 6 1/2 inches from the leading edge...... Landings are a very easy, and smooth, no signs of a 'tail heavy' ship.... A friend had to add some right thrust to his Matrix/Saito .91 combo.... It's a very capable 3D ship... On the matrix, the CG is import for harriers and rolling 3D sequence..
Old 11-02-2004, 11:03 AM

I must add, the plane does a sweet parachute to harrier My vid will show a couple of them.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:25 AM

John,

I have a Saito 72 in my Matrix and am very pleased with its performance.

I have not been able to get it to flat spin. I have a 14/4 APC prop and the cg at the published aft limit. Control movement is also at the published limit. With other planes I have been able to get into a flat spin from a spin by feeding in opposite aileron...but all I get is either a rapid spin in the opposite direction or the airplane flys out of the spin entirely.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:13 PM

You might need more throw on the elevators and or rudder.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:31 AM

HELP,

Could some one comment on how you get a Matrix to flat spin... your control stick inputs technique. Also any details on the cg and control surface travel would be appreciated. Thanks for any information.

Jim
Old 06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Guys, I test flew my new Goldberg Matrix 40 yesterday and really like the plane. A while back, I had read a review here on RCU in which the plane had been powered w/ a Saito 72 and garnered a very positive report. At the end, the reviewer speculated that a Saito 91 would be even better.

Well, I've been looking for a low cost pattern/artistic aerobatic trainer and had a Saito 91 looking for a home, so what the heck, I figured I'd give it a try. Mods from stock were elliminating the original elevator control setup in favor of twin elevator servos in the tail and using a pull/pull rudder setup. Had to use 2 low-profile servos so they wouldn't interfere w/ each other.

Plane balanced spot-on w/ the 2 tail servos, by the way.

Performance is sparkling w/ the 91, APC 13X8 prop and 15% nitro fuel. Vertical is ridiculous (hangs at half throttle) and climbs like a homesick angel. Snaps on high rates were a blur, but the wings stayed on. High alpha knife edge was a thing of beauty- rudder authority is super strong. Did a couple of KE loops with no problem. Only (small) complaint is that designers got dihedral wrong because it requires slight aileron mixing w/ rudder since it rolls in OPPOSITE DIRECTION as rudder application. Clearly the wing needs a little more dihedral, but since it's a one piece wing, gotta mix it out with the radio.

Rolls were very axial and plane tracks very well.

Landings were uneventull wth no tendency to drop a wing even when I stretched one deadstick landing (ran out of fuel while having so much fun ) at a fairly high angle of attack. All-in-all a very good plane.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
My Feedback: (15)

It sounds like you guys are having great success with this plane.

I have not and I am not sure that it is my fault. On first flight I may have had a little flutter in the ailerons, but I only heard the pop as the wing broke in the center. All the control linkages were tight, using 4-40 ball links, but I didn’t have mechanical advantage. I was flying reasonably slowly, not F3A speed at all. I got the plane down, as the wing was still held together at by the covering.[:@] It was a rough landing though, and it took out the bottom of the fuse where the landing gear ripped it out.[:@]

Anyone else had any similar problems? CG said I should cut the tail section off and send it back to them, but they do not cover flutter, if that was the cause.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:57 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem Tripp2loo. What % throw were you using on the aileron servos when they fluttered. I try not to use less than 75% on low rates to preserve mechanical advantage.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:06 PM

I think I only had 35 to 40 % as I had the control linkages set up for 3D maximum throws.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:13 AM

John VH where did you get your matrix from in Australia?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:08 AM

No, Tower Hobbies in USA. wing #182
Old 06-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Tripp2loo, that's what did it, the low throw % on aileron, I think.

I had that same problem on another plane, but luckily only the servo gears stripped out, while the wing stayed intact. I was able to save it using rudder to land. I would suggest increasing expo (negative values on Futaba) to about 70% to try to allow you to increase throws to at least 75% on low rates while keeping the plane controlable and still have available max throws for the 3D stuff.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:17 PM
My Feedback: (37)

FYI.. Tower has the Matrix for $109! [X(] I just bought one to replace my tired, worn out, used and abused Razor 3D. [8D]

Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 AM

What about kit quality is that better than Liner Razor,
which is worst plane I’ve ever seen?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 AM

I'll let you know how the quality turns out. It will be waiting for me when I get home from work.

What problems did you have with the Razor? I bought mine used and not in the greatest shape to begin with.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:44 AM

That is many things,
In example:
Fire wall was lost almost all back layout of plywood ( seems like bad drilling holes for tank output and engine mount), plywood plate for landing gears was cracked at the middle along fuselage line on two parts, holes between fuselage balsa cover and ( I am not sure how that called probably) frames and ……
So the plane was look like crashed and not completely fixed.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:31 PM

Are you guys all running pumps or regulators with the tank in the CG? I'll be using a Saito .82 mounted inverted.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:40 AM

how the kit quality?
Is that good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.