Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Carl Goldberg  ARF Decathlon >

Carl Goldberg ARF Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Carl Goldberg ARF Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg ARF Decathlon

Hello,
I am considering this ARF model. Has anyone had any experience with it? Wondering what would be a suitable engine, quality of the kit, etc. I am quite experienced but don't want to throw good money away if the model is not worth it.
Thank You in advance.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:02 AM
WCB

Default RE: Carl Goldberg ARF Decathlon

HI Randy,
A friend had one new in the box and we took it out to look it over good. I was very impressed with the quality workmanship. The covering was nice and appeared to be ultracote. The hardware looked good quality. I can't say how it flies as he sold the plane before he ever flew it. Seems like it called for up to a .91 four stroke which would probably fly it very scale-like at 9.5-10.5 pounds. For more spirited performance I would opt for a larger engine, but it depends on how you like to fly. It is a nice size at 81 inch span and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I really wanted to buy that one but the hangar was full at the time.
Hope this helps.
WCB
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I too am entusiastically looking at buying this ARF. I have a ST G-90 2s motor which should be more than enough for this airplane.

I learned to fly full-scale in this type airplane, and have an emotional attachment to it.

It seems that all who've owned one really liked the quality and flying characteristics.

I actually paid the 5.00 to download the instructions...which seem more than adequate. Interestingly, as much as I like the ARF, one big reason I HAVEN'T bought it was the fact that they charged me to look at the instructions. I've downloaded instructions from everyone from Great Planes to Kyosho -- FREE (and I bought those kits). It's just good customer relations. Carl Goldberg Models is NOT very aggressive in promoting their models. Their website is weak (at best)...I still can't beleive they charged me to see the instructions. In fact, I can't believe I actually PAID to see them! Like I say, I'd probably already own both the Decathlon AND the S-12 Monster Pitts...another favorite of mine...Why???Well that's another long story again involving full-scale planes...

I'd sure like to hear everyone's first-hand critiques and comments on the Decathlon. As much as I want one, I'm biased against it from a customer service perspective. But I might just swallow that and take a chance on this one!?!?!

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:51 PM
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are a few threads on this if you use the SEARCh function with great pics. From all reports so far it appears to be winner. It is on my short list of "must haves" I'm not sure but does anyone know if this version qualifies it for IMAA status?

matt
Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 PM

"Search"...Been there, done that.

I believe it's IMAA legal...80"+ wingspan. Well, That Doesn't tell me this is a great airplane to invest in.

I want one, but....(read my above posts)

Let me know what you find out, Diablo!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 AM

I was looking at the Goldberg/Lanier Decathlon also... But like above when I found out I had to pay 5 dollars just to look at the manual I moved on... If you have to pay to look at the manual I wonder what customer service is like.... Maybe they are embarassed obout there manual....
Old 01-18-2005, 10:54 AM

The instructions are actually very nice. I think they should be proud of them. Just NOT $5.00 worth of proud![:'(]
Old 01-18-2005, 11:01 AM

Strange.... Sounds like the bean counters are running the place, not the business people... Anyone have any experiance with there customer service ??.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:18 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I built one of these and I can tell you that they are AWESOME! I powered mine with both a YS 91AC and an OS 91. either engine will be excellent.

One note. The only thing I didn't like was that I thought the wing was too big - I couldn't get a good roll rate. No prob, break off the wing tips and that solved that problem.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:00 PM

How do they fly compared to the SG Decath ?... Did you ever try to order parts etc from them ?... Just wondering how there service is... That 5 dollar thing makes me really wary of them...
Old 01-18-2005, 01:09 PM

Actually, I have been in contact with Goldberg about that 5 dollar thing and I'm hoping they will reconsider and drop it.

As far as the company goes, they have been very good about customer service.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM

So how does it fly compared to the SG Decath ?.. I really like the size and looks of the Goldberg Decath... Plus it is IMAA legal...
Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I built one of these and I can tell you that they are AWESOME! I powered mine with both a YS 91AC and an OS 91. ...
Was the OS .91 a 2s or fs? I have a Supertigre 2s .90 for this plane, will it fit entirely within the cowling? I don't want to cut out a hole for the head. I'd like to use remote glow...the only hole in the cowl would be for the needle. I'd make an appropriate cut-out on the bottom of the cowl for exhaust and venting, of course.

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:51 PM

im wondering if an RCV engine would work with this airplane. They are made for full cowl fitment so if they make one in the 75-91 range 4 stroke it would perfect.

matt
Old 01-18-2005, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

im wondering if an RCV engine would work with this airplane. They are made for full cowl fitment so if they make one in the 75-91 range 4 stroke it would perfect.

matt
I'd thought of that too!

If I was going to get into scale planes in a big way, I'd be all over the RCV engines. Their website is pretty comprehensive.

It just happens that I have the ST G-90 for the Decathlon...otherwise I'd be into the RCV scene...or the Saito 90 twin, but they're pretty pricey! (Would that be a great motor for the Decathlon or what!)[link=http://www.rcvengines.com/model_home_page_full.htm]RCV Model Engines[/link]
Old 01-18-2005, 09:02 PM

now this might be an idea!

http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv91cd.htm

The engine still uses RCV's unique rotary valve system, and although it is comparable in power to conventional 91 4-stroke engines, the height of the engine is actually comparable to a conventional 52 4-stroke!!!

looks like it will easily fit under the cowl enclosed with only the muffler that could potentially be routed out the back end using flex tubing. hmm..
Old 01-18-2005, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

now this might be an idea!

http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv91cd.htm

The engine still uses RCV's unique rotary valve system, and although it is comparable in power to conventional 91 4-stroke engines, the height of the engine is actually comparable to a conventional 52 4-stroke!!!

looks like it will easily fit under the cowl enclosed with only the muffler that could potentially be routed out the back end using flex tubing. hmm..
I've never even seen one (except for photos...) but I'm a fan!

Very versatile for scale/sport planes. They seem heavy for the power they produce, so for hard-core aerobatics/3D work, they might not be on the "A-list."

I'm (admittedly) somewhat of a newbee, so don't spend any money based upon my observations!!

I sure would like to hear more about these engines!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:28 AM

Sorry, my OS 91 was a 4s...

I forget that they make 2-strokes that big - Never use 'em myself
Old 01-19-2005, 01:39 PM
My Feedback: (106)

I have this plane with an OS.91Fx. I really like it. It looks real sharp, and flies really nice. It is an excellent plane in my opinion. The landings are a bit bouncy ( I think because the landing gear is so stiff, without much "Give" ), but all it takes is a bit of practice.....Real nice plane.....
Old 03-29-2005, 10:19 AM

I'm trying to get information on where and how to center the engine on the firewall. I have switched to a DuBro soft mount and can't really be sure where to center it. I think the instructions say to center the stock mount, but if you switch then you're left dry with how to center it.

can someone help?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:44 PM

never mind. I got it. I called and Jim was able to help out. I checked their site however, and it was surprising that the manual is now at 15.00usd.

funny.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:24 PM

I was just there and it still said 4.95 USD

"A $4.95 charge will be billed to your credit card and will allow access to booklet k12069.pdf for 24 hours. You will be able to download the booklet as many times as you want within that period without additional charges.'

I too WAS interested in this plane.. My next plane was down to this or a Kange Monocoupe... This charge for the manual is obscene.. Guess I will be building the Monocoupe next...
Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM

You share my sentiments...I will not buy from CG as long as they have this type of customer support. I'd sure like one of these Decathlons, though! Oh well...

Old 03-29-2005, 04:32 PM

They sure must be proud of that manual...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:17 PM

well, i bought the plane and have "built" it. the workmanship seems top notch. the hardware, although very good, does have some shortcomings ( literally...some hardware is just 1/8" too short ). i have beefed up the aileron mounts, but other than that it seems airworthy. i am using a magnum .91 4s, and anticipate flying in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.