Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Dollar vs Chinese Yen >

Dollar vs Chinese Yen

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dollar vs Chinese Yen

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dollar vs Chinese Yen

Does anyone have any idea if the price/availability of the Chinese ARFs will deteriorate with the announcement that China will no longer peg the Yen to the US $?
Thanks!
JLK
Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 PM
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: Dollar vs Chinese Yen

The Yen is Japanese currency. The Yuan is Chinese. Prices might change a bit, who knows? ARF's are pretty cheap as it is, it's the other bits to complete the planes that are expensive. Airframes are typically only about 20% of total cost.

Safe Flying!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:07 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

Does anyone have any idea if the price/availability of the Chinese ARFs will deteriorate with the announcement that China will no longer peg the Yen to the US $?
Thanks!
JLK
I'll be watching. The Yuan has been held artificially at about 8/dollar. There is widespread agreement the Yuan has been considerably undervalued. If the ratio goes to 4/dollar, I'm guessing we'll see an increase in the price of many ARFs.

Dave Olson
Old 07-21-2005, 05:57 PM

In most cases, as of today, weak US doller has not affected
the import prices in US.
Exporters have sbsorved the difference, the loss in such case.
So exporters will gain profits when US$ is strong and lose if
US$ is weak.
Exporters will not change their export prices in US$ unless
the exchange rate goes much since US is the biggest market
in the world.
10% of change between chinese yuan and US$ will not affect
the prices much in US, very little at most.
The Chinese makers would accept the loss caused by exchange
rate.
When I have lived in US about 12 years ago, I have realized
above movement between US and others.
The only exception is oil right now.
This is my thought from Japan.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will only move about 2%, they don't want to rock the boat, either, so they are taking baby steps only.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned

I wouldn't really worry about the removal of the Yuan's peg to the dollar and being allowed to float against a basket of currencies. Knowing the Chinese people as I do, they'll just work harder and longer swallowing the miniscule difference in cost!

Although the appreciation of the Yuan might make some Chinese products a bit more expensive for American consumers, American exporters (to China) will gain some pricing advantage. Also companies like Wal-Mart who are tough negotiators with financial muscle (huge buying power) will make Chinese producers eat any price increases.

Anyway I'm shocked to see all my good American friends worrying about paying a few extra pennies for a little airplane!

Mr Akimoto
Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 PM

[8D]The real problem is that they are sending us cheap ARFs and other consumer goods while we are sending them technology that they are turning into military and economic power. Their currency is greatly undervalued (50%,not 2% as mentoned in an earlier post). Their national bank is the largest holder of dollar-based securities in the world. If they unload rapidly, the US securities markets will take a real hit. Could make our Arab problems go away just like stomping on your foot makes your headache go away.

As soon as it get through flying my China Models ARF with a Magnum .91FS I think I'll go to Walmart. Its hard not to take advantage of the current prices.

Mike H.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:44 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really glad I like Chinese food.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: kojak41

[8D]The real problem is that they are sending us cheap ARFs and other consumer goods while we are sending them technology that they are turning into military and economic power.
Its hard not to take advantage of the current prices.

Mike H.
It really is, but it is hard for us to refuse good quality and inexpensive ARFs
from China. However, I think chinese workers should get more wages by
changing their political system.

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 07-22-2005, 07:14 AM

I think we should stick away from politics ... we know where it gets ... I think the official Chinese currency is the REMBINI ... hmmm ... anyways the CHinese have allowed their currency to be floated against the USD ... no more fixed (pegged) rate as of today I think ... see how it goes, if the CHinese currency is undervalued then you guys in the US are in trouble!!! Hehehe ... move over to Asia!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:21 AM

...RENMIMBI....(you should know, from Malaysia...)
Old 07-22-2005, 08:23 AM
My Feedback: (4)

My dad is in the import business, importing goods from Asia to US. He is starting to get more stuff from other Asian countries like Vietnam and Thailand. I think it's a hint that importing from China has declined in profit. My Harrier 90 says made in Vietnam on the box. I suspect there are more countries in competition for cheap ARF supplies, so it will be yet a while longer before ARF prices will rise. Ya know, the 2nd Law of Thermal Dynamics may just apply to world economy, and we are doing our part to assist that process by buying cheap imports as well as charitable givings to 3rd world countries. "We are the world, we are the children. We are the ones to make a brighter day so let's start buying. There's an ARF factory who's keeping us all flying. It's true they make a brighter day for you and me" =)
Old 07-22-2005, 08:30 AM

Interesting feedback from eveyone!
The reason I asked the original question was because of the change in the hobby I have observed.
I have been out of RC for nearly 20 years.
Back then if you wanted to fly you bought a kit and built it.
There were some ARFs but they were expensive.
If you weren't a very good builder you probably weren't a very good flyer either since what you were trying to fly may not have been too flyable!
[]
Now fast forward 20 years.
It's unbelievable what's available now as ARFs.
I bought a UCD 60 that I'm assembling and after the promotions and discounts from the source I got it from I can't believe the quality for the price!
There have got to be alot of people in the hobby now that wouldn't have been if not for the imported ARF phenomena.
JLK
Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I think we should stick away from politics ... we know where it gets ... I think the official Chinese currency is the RENMBINI
Yes, people's money (when spelled correctly) is the name, but Yuan is also an acceptable, and widely used name.
... hmmm ... anyways the CHinese have allowed their currency to be floated against the USD ... no more fixed (pegged) rate as of today I think ... see how it goes, if the CHinese currency is undervalued then you guys in the US are in trouble!!! Hehehe ... move over to Asia!!!
It's widely accepted that the Chinese currency valuation is off by 40-50%. The recent announcement is a very small step in the right direction. However, it's far from your assertion that there's "no more fixed rate as of today". The Chinese government is still very much in control of the rate, just a different kind of "fix". The problem will be truely resolved when international markets, rather than the communist government in China, determine the rates.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I'm really glad I like Chinese food.
But have you ever had "real" Chinese food? It's so much better than the Westernized stuff available in most "Chinese" restaurants.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Guys ... Chinese food is nothing compared with Malaysian food ... in Malaysia we have a mix of Malay (Indonesian type of people), CHinese and Indians ... so you can imagine what sort of food we get for 24 hours!!! Hehehe ... anyone wanna visit? Try a search on Malaysia and its food on GOOGLE. Anyways, as of today our currency is also no longer pegged to the USD. I hope to be able to buy more planes soon!!!

Coming back to planes ... I got the Harrier too ... its lovely, so much cheaper than the F90, may not fly the same but its about 65% the price of the F90. I am amazed by what is coming out of Vietnam now. Still most of the other Vietnam planes are not as good as the Harrier but I think in the next 6-8 months it will be much better. Even Blackhorse have got their act together and their planes are of better quality. VMAR ... what can we say ... its as B@D as ever. Hehehe ...
Old 07-22-2005, 02:25 PM

The Chinese resteraunt I go to, is owned by Chinese folks. They yell at each other in Chinese, and all the cooks are Chinese, so I figure it's pretty close to being Chinese food.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:26 PM

My wife was reading the L.A. Times article this morning and mentioned to me the difference is only about 2.5% according to them.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:19 PM

The Chinese resteraunt I go to, is owned by Chinese folks. They yell at each other in Chinese, and all the cooks are Chinese, so I figure it's pretty close to being Chinese food.
You've described 99.9% of the Chinese restaurants in the US, but probably less than .5% actually serve the kind of food you get in China.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 PM

Whatever!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

You've described 99.9% of the Chinese restaurants in the US, but probably less than .5% actually serve the kind of food you get in China.
I just got back from mainland China, and our "Chinese" food has been Americanized.

But to stay with the thread, I doubt that our prices will go up much, it's not like the workers are going to get a raise.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:57 AM

The Chinese food in anywhere but China/HK is definately diluted! Heck ... I come from a certain town in Malaysia that is famous for great food ... once I get to the capital which is only 200 miles away the people who profess that they sell from my home town are not able to make it even 75% like the real thing.

The only worry is if demand goes up and the money is no longer pegged then RC will cost more for those living in the US. There is always Vietnam next!
Old 07-23-2005, 02:49 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Go Carden, Aeroteck, DA, BME, Brison, Taurus just for a few...Do the Chineezie eat dog.[:'(]
Old 07-23-2005, 08:31 AM

Dogs and Cats
Old 07-23-2005, 09:05 AM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Y N C

Dogs and Cats
Could be the reason "authentic" Chinese food isn't popular in the US. We have laws against eating housepets over here! [X(]

I don't know too many people who would eat Chinese food if they knew those were ingredients anyway. I know I'd be getting up and leaving if I heard barking from the kitchen--especially if it stopped suddenly! [X(]

Rick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.