Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Super Chipmunk ARF Problems >

Super Chipmunk ARF Problems

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Super Chipmunk ARF Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Chipmunk ARF Problems

With reference to the China Model Manufacturing Company, owned by AMD ( at least I think so) regarding their SUPER CHIPMUNK-40 ARF.

I recently had the dis-pleasure of aquiring one of these animals and with several years of building ARF's, I have to admit this one is driving me to drink! You know the saying whatever can be wrong with a model airplane, well put them altogether and that is what this Super Chipmunk is.
Looks great in the pictures but as far as using it the way it is constructed you will be lucky if you get one flight out of it, better yet I think as you rev the engine up on the runway for the first time the wing will fall off and the stab will come off in the prop wash.
Anyway my information on this plane so far is as follows and I do have a question a little later in this post.
GOOD POINTS:
1. The Decals are nice, even though it took me about 7 hours to cut them out and apply them.
POOR QUALITY POINTS:
1. The Instruction manual is written in invisible ink, their is no Human eye capable of reading it.
2. I am missing all the control horns, no biggy I can buy them at the hobby store.
3. The aileron control wire to the ailerons is 1/16" dia? the brass tube that it runs through is 1/8" dia? (Incidentally this is a single servo in the center of the wing.) The difference in diameter between the tube and control wire means you will always have free play in the ailerons as it moves inside the tube while the servo remains stationary? I never noticed this until I had glued the ailerons into the wing. After the epoxy had setup in the aileron hole to contain the control wire I CA'd the hinges in the wing. As is normal I flexed the ailerons as the CA was drying up and make sure I had a good hinge line and gap for the amount of travel the ailerons would move. The 2 wing halves are not joined yet so I was just doing one half. After about 10 or 12 times of moving the ailerons by hand I noticed the aileron contol wire, remember that 1/16" wire was sticking outside of the aileron? Don't you hate it when this happens !!!!!

So I am in the process of fixing this problem and now I have about 20 hours into the model, not bad considering they say you can be ready to fly in 6-8 hours. All I have done so far is put the decals on and one aileron.

Anyway so much more to say about this model but later as I go forward. The battle is not even close to ending.
I need to get to my Question if anyone can help.

MY QUESTION:
Not being able to read any of the instructions at all can anyone tell me "where to put the engine" and before any of you comedians tell me "at the front of the plane",[sm=angry.gif] let me be a little more specific.
I am talking about the centerline of the crankshaft of the engine relative to the up and down position, side to side I know. I would appreciate any help................. Thanks

My thoughts...I will never let an ARF plane beat me, even if it takes 3 years to build it !!! I will still only say it took 6 hours.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Super Chipmunk ARF Problems

Barry I can't help you with your question since I don't have one of these planes.

I do wonder, if I may ask. Why don't you get a return authorization and ship that sucker back? There are other good ARFs out there to spend your money and time on.

It's not giving up and it's not being defeated. If you wanted a kit you would have gotten a kit. The idea of an ARF is to save time and fly.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:46 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got one of the "no name" ARFs. RC Report has a build article about the Super Chipmonk and the guy didn't like it at all.

Find a friend who is a subscriber to RC Report and borrow this month's issue.

Don
Old 04-13-2006, 02:31 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Barrybuilder,

I don't know if I can be of any help, but I surely enjoyed reading your post on this!.

Hattend is right, in that RC Report did a review on a "no name" Chipmunk with little or no instructions. The aileron function came under fire, as well. The plane flew so so with the stock ailerons, but after converting to individual servo for each aileron, the assessment was that it is a good flying plane and an OK kit for an experienced ARF assembler. It's in the April RC Report, you might find it helpful to check it out.

Good luck![8D]
Old 04-13-2006, 03:39 PM
My Feedback: (4)

is that the CMP ARF?

i want to get the 60 size Super Chipmunk ARF, am i safe with that one or should i reconsider?
Old 04-13-2006, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: vasek

is that the CMP ARF?

i want to get the 60 size Super Chipmunk ARF, am i safe with that one or should i reconsider?
The one in RC Report is called the "no name" Chipmonk because it came in a plain box with no logos, crappy instuctions with no logo, ect.

It pretty much sounds like the one Barrybulder is building only his has a name badge.

Don
Old 04-13-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vasek - just buy the WM one ... its lovely.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:44 PM

I second the World Models recommendation

Don
Old 04-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Hey thanks for your response, much appreciated.
Yes I know you are right....but someone gave it to me as a gift and said they would love to see it finished.
More than that they said they wanted to see it fly, so I don't want to hurt their feelings after there generosity.
They purchased it off ebay where many people sell them.

I build many aircraft for many people but I have to admit this one definately takes the cake. I guess airworthiness means different things to different people and ARF manufactures alike.

Unfortunately sellers on ebay have no idea what they are selling, especially in regard to model aircraft, they do not understand out terminology like aileron, elevator,pushrods and so on . To them it is just a product for sale and they can be of no help to you at all.

Oh well, I will remain positive and continue forward and fix all the problems I encounter.
So many people have purchased these planes on ebay, I feel sorry for them.

Thanks again Mate, and may your angels always fly in the cockpit of your models !!!!
Regards...............Barry
Old 04-14-2006, 06:17 PM

Barry, I'm sending you a PM

Don
Old 04-14-2006, 06:36 PM

Hi,

To be absolutely honest with you, I would stay away from it, at least until they understand the meaning of "airworthines".

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-14-2006, 06:39 PM

OK Don,

Much appreciated and again so many thanks.

Reagards
Barry
Old 04-14-2006, 06:52 PM

Hello Jim,
Thanks for the info, Hattend is sending me a copy of the article via email.
I appreciated your response very much and I thought also of converting to the 2 servo method.
I may have to go to this if my fix does not work but really do not want to go into this much work on this model unless I have to.

Regards and again thanks
Barry
Old 04-14-2006, 09:49 PM

Barry,

You have 2 emails, about 2 megs each, 6 pages (3 in each email)

Let me know if they came through okay

Don
Old 04-18-2006, 12:51 PM

hello, any help on instructions as I am one of the suckers that bought one of these arfs. Can not figure out elevator or how to mount engine. Missing horns as well, any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 PM

I'll have to check my home computer. I could send you the emails I sent to Barry...provided I didn't delete them yet.

Don
Old 04-18-2006, 01:12 PM

man, that would be great, Getting very flustrated. If you have them could you send to [email protected]. Can you tell me if elevator requires 2 servos or am I just missing pieces?
Elvator is 2 seperate pieces and cant figure out how to join them. thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 02:18 PM

You probably need a split elevator pushrod and put a horn on each elevator half. Single servo.

Don
Old 04-18-2006, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: raile

man, that would be great, Getting very flustrated. If you have them could you send to [email protected]. Can you tell me if elevator requires 2 servos or am I just missing pieces?
Elvator is 2 seperate pieces and cant figure out how to join them. thanks
I emailed you the scans. 2 separate emails

Let me know if they came through okay.

Don
Old 04-19-2006, 02:12 PM

hello, thanks but I only got 1 email,(pictures and description) Did not receive any instructions. If available can you please resend to [email protected]. This arf is an absolute piece of junk. Missing all kinds of parts, wheels do not fit landing gear, on and on. thanks, Nick
Old 04-19-2006, 03:11 PM

Resending the second part right now. Let me know if it/when gets there.

Don
Old 05-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Well I hate to tell you the bad news but I have about 60 hours into mine so far. I have made so many mods to it to make it airworthy and I am presently working on the horizontal stab, vertical fin and tailwheel assembly. Incidentally throw the tailwheel assembly away, the pushrod hardware throw them away also. Don't worry about the control horns seeing as you don't get any???...... Don't worry about the instructions either they won't help you at all.
Also a couple of other minor defects, that drove me to drink as I mentioned earlier.
1. Do not use the ailerons the way they have them, they are to sloppy, rip them out.
2. The elevators hit the rudder or visa-versa to get enough throw on them.
3. The engine position is top secret apparently
4. You will have to build a fuel tank floor also.

Yes 60 hours so far and I am only half done (and this is an ARF)

Incidentally did I mention this past week I have had to seek medical attention at the request of the Police Department. OH Heck while I am being honest I might as well tell you why....... When things don't go right building my planes especially this Piece of you know what, I tend to throw things, usually out of my workshop window. I mean isn't this kind of normal. What ever is closest gets thrown out of the window.
I mean how did I know the exacto knife was going to end up (Embeded) the neighbors words.... (Embeded) in his front door.So the local PD came to visit me with a variety of my plane building tools from the neighbors assumedly yard and property.
Items, the PD called them "evidence" were as follows
1. The so called "embedded exacto knife"
2. A monokote iron
3. A couple of rolls of monokote
4. A Claw Hammer (I denied that one)
5. A radio Transmitter (well it didn't work anyway)
6. 2 engines that wouldn't run right, that's why I threw them out
7. A few Batteries...(OK 6 to be exact)

The PD were not happy campers and they were the one's that suggested I seek mandatory medical attention.

All because I decided to build this China Models Super Chipmunk !!!!!!!!!!!
If I can be of any help, let me know. It will go towards my comunity service hours I apparently now have been awarded.

Good Luck............Barry
ORIGINAL: raile

hello, any help on instructions as I am one of the suckers that bought one of these arfs. Can not figure out elevator or how to mount engine. Missing horns as well, any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:45 AM

Here is my WM Super Chipmunk ... just maidened her over the weekend. Got an AXI 4130/16 up front.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31847.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	455744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79335.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	455745  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 AM
My Feedback: (56)

tIANci, That looks awesome! I bet it flies so smoothly with E-power. I almost have my WM Chipmunk finished also, will be powered by an OS 91FS Surpass II/Pumped. I may even add a smoke system for show, but that's another conversation.

Noticed you fly off grass, any retract issues? I currently have mine locked down without a retract servo in place. Don't want to create extra problems to start with. This is one beautiful plane!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:01 AM

Primodus - It gave me no problems over what we call Cow Grass. She rolled out smoothly. As for problems I messed up, rushed the plane and the servo was binding in the lowered position, the servo burnt out, its my fault.

Yeah ... she is totally smooth but the guys at the Fly In were heckling me, kept on saying that there is no sound and when I came in they all called out DEAD STICK! Hehehehe ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.