Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Ultra stick 60 recover >

Ultra stick 60 recover

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra stick 60 recover

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra stick 60 recover

I was looking to get an Ultra Stick 60 but want to recover it because I'm not fond of the see thru scheme on them. If anyone's recovered theirs, how many roles does it take and if anyone has pics of their recovering job I'd love to see them. I still haven't made up my mind on the scheme I want to use so any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Ultra stick 60 recover

The see through covering really isn't all that bad--if you are worried about seeing it. If you just don't like the colors, then that's another story. I would guess that it would take 3 full rolls to cover it--that's all the same color. Add another roll for any other color that you might want to trim with. THat's a guess based upon the size of mine, and other covering jobs I've done before. It might take 3 1/2 rolls, if you aren't very efficient, but no more than that--again, no including trim schemes...
Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 PM

I've read about people getting disoriented with the current scheme so I was thinking of replacing. Do you guys that have one have any problems with the way it come covered as far as telling up from down when flying?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:14 PM
My Feedback: (3)

With a see through covering, you'd think that orientation would be a problem. But I've had my US60 for 2 years and I have no problem seeing top from bottom. The decals on top of the wing stand out enough to see.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
My Feedback: (58)

Hi, Yes sometimes you will see the top colors show thrue from the bottom. I have a US 60 and really like the plane. I have a Tower hobbies 75 on it and it flys great with almost unLimited vertical. I had a os91 four stroke on it and flew good with it also.I put the servos in the tail section. If I was going to recover mine I would use the same color but in solid colors. Enjoy that "Stick" they fly great.Wayne
Old 05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always enjoyed how the transparent covering "lights up" when the Sun light passes through it.

As far as orientation goes, just look for the vertical stabilizer or the landing gear. You can always add decals or tape stripes on the bottom of the wing in order to tell top from bottom.

When I don't care for a color scheme of a model (most models today) and it is early in the flying season, I will carefully seal all the edges of the stock covering with water based polyurethane clear paint (prevents oil soaking of the wood). Then, when the snow is blowing outside in the Winter, I'll strip the model and recover it. Usually by that time, I have a list of mods to make to the model that I would not have otherwise known about had I not flown the model first.

That's just the way that I do things.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
My Feedback: (13)

I recovered the .60 sized one that I had. I also didn't like the tranparent covering. I sold this one it back just before Christmas. I could see this airplane from 3 countys away!
I plan on replacing it with a scratch built Ugly Stik using the same colors. The bottom of the wing was done in Corsair blue to contrast with the top.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73143.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	458212  
Old 05-08-2006, 04:53 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: GFranks

I was looking to get an Ultra Stick 60 but want to recover it because I'm not fond of the see thru scheme on them. If anyone's recovered theirs, how many roles does it take and if anyone has pics of their recovering job I'd love to see them. I still haven't made up my mind on the scheme I want to use so any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I took a roll of red Ultra trim tape and a roll of white Ultra trim tape and made alternating red/white bars on the underside of the wing. Three pairs of bars on each wing make a big difference. It isn't pretty, but I only had about 4 flights on the plane and didn't want to strip and recover it.

BobbyG