Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Hangar 9 F-22 Raptor PTS >

Hangar 9 F-22 Raptor PTS

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 F-22 Raptor PTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 F-22 Raptor PTS

Jim you are correct the F-16 does not have flap, but once you learn the correct air speed for landing, it a cake walk.

ORIGINAL: sbrackets

Hey Pat
This is Jim S. from RCPROPJETS. Yes, I believe the F-22 will get us ready for the Cermark F-16, except the F-16 doesn't have flaps like the F-22. So if your getting use to those flaps on the F-22, your not going to have that option on the F-16. So they better start landing the F-22 without the use of flaps. And learn to land with a high angle of attack to slow down.

And of course the F-16 is going to be a faster bird by far, I suggest having them train on a fight simulator. That to me is the best method to pre fight of the F-16.

But that's just me.

Jim S.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:15 PM

well folks today is the day that i maiden my raptor, the winds look like they are out of the south (striaght down runday) 10mph. kind of nervous i am sure that upon arrival ill wimp out and just fly my avistar. we shall see i guess, updates coming later.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 PM

GOOD LUCK turdfergerson
Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 PM

Good luck!

Anxiously awaiting the first flight report... [sm=72_72.gif]

In other news,

I put in my pre-order for the 'Lexus' flavour of the Deuce's Wild with the Power 32 package and Retracts. [sm=greedy.gif]
Old 06-03-2008, 09:50 PM

ok so here is the low down of todays training sorties.

the wind was not what i had hoped for, thought it was south @ 10 but it turned out to be 10 out of the west (cross wind for us). after staring at the sock for about five minutes i said "screw it, Chuck Yeager would fly it". in an attempt to make my thumbs limber i fired up the trusty old avistar. cranked her around for about five min made a touch and go came back around and then it happened.............. my first crash..........was coming in a bit to slow, touched down and then gunned it, not having enough airspeed i foolishly pulled back too hard and snap rolled it from ten feet up. After i picked up the reckage and my pride off the runway i figured sitting down was a good idea.......it was

now to the good stuff.

not wanting to be a quiter i decieded that the raptor would get airborne whether it liked it or not. my friend and i fired up the os .55ax and taxied out got to the end of the runway and gunned it. after it had made it ALL the way to the end i gently eased her up (no flaps). after it was about 75 feet or so up i noticed something was drasticly wrong, she was pulling hard to the right and nosing to the ground. i threw the trims to the maxx to try to correct it, no dice. at this point im saying to myself "two in one day cause there is no way im bringing her back" well to mygreat surprise i put her down on the runway.............hard. broke the prop and the right wing droop. whew.....its going to be ok.

2nd flight

removed the droops put them in the trash and replaced the prop, gametime. took off and i couldnt believe how tail heavy she felt. i said srcew it and continued to fly anyway, got several low passes in, practiced using the flaps, and then landed her. success.........for now.

so my bud said i should pull the weight out of the tail so i removed the access panel and looked...........nothing there.......where are the weights???? ohhhhhhh there they are, just floating around........o'well. i removed em and took her up again

3rd flight.

garbage.........thats all i can say. handled like crap but i figured "this is it" this is what ive been waiting two months for so i might as well make the best of it. so i flew her around for about five min and brought her in. landing was a bit hairy but it was still in one peice.

while i was looking at the plane in the pits my eye happened to catch something, the right elevator was hanging down further than the left.......after careful inspection................OOOOOHHHHHH MY GOD........tell me i didnt forget to reconnect the control horn.......wow just wow...... when i reinstalled the tail acces door i really forgot to reconnect it. dumb. thats about all i can say.

NOTE: this plane will fly with just one elevator operational........not recomended but it CAN be done.

4th flight

MUCH MUCH better. what a rocket, all i really did was low passes and high speed fly bys. honestly thats all i wanted to do. just hearing that thing honk by was sooooo satisifing. i did almost lose her several times though, this jet hates to fly slow.....thats a fact. so i safely put her down cause i thought i would be running a bit low on fuel, well it wasnt, it still had 3/4 of a tank left. no biggie, we shall leave intact!!!!!!!

my opinion of this plane:

This is NOT A TRAINER!!!!!!!!!!! i know that this has already been established in other posts but i thought i would say it agian..........new guys stay away. it is a handful to fly and it glides as good as a buick skylark. for anyone who does know how to fly and is thinking about getting this plane my advise to you is GET ONE. it is such a rush to fly its not even funnny. the engine that i have installed seems like a perfect fit, she screams.

overall i cant wait to take it out again, there will be some much needed tweaking done to the flight controls but thats no biggie.

good luck all and happy flying!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM

OVerall pretty great news!! [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Your experience sounds pretty typical of what a newbie might experience with this plane - on a REALLY good day!!

I am insanely jealous that you managed 2 or 3 good landings, and on your first day out even. [sm=pirate.gif]

Gaaahhhhhh. I am so miffed I am going to my backyard and simply chew through a 2x4 to vent my frustration. [:@]

Newbie gets good landings on first day... grrrr... arrrggg... [sm=angry.gif]

Why am I having such a tough time with the landing part? I'll figure it out. I think its possible one contributing factor is that I didn't have enough elevator throw in Low Rates mode. No throw equals no flare.

I went over my DX7 settings and fixed that. I also pulled the Low Rates switch over to "Comm Rudd" so that High / Low Rates is switched by the upper right toggle, and Flaps remain, now independent, on the upper left 3-position toggle. That should help!

Also, since she is balanced well now, I am going with a bit more flaps deflection - about 1.3" down at Full now. I also am going to fly around a bit more before landing next time - its possible too much fuel in the tank makes her a bit nose heavy for landing ideally.

I test-fit a Great Planes 2-1/4" Aluminum/Nylon Spinner - but its a touch too big. A 2" spinner should be correct, I'll try later. The manual and the website do not give the size... [&:]
Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM

ohhh dont worry markind, my four landings on the day were ok at best. this plane is a tough one to land. practice makes perfect I guess. Today i am planning on inspecting the entire plane for any hidden damages hopefully there is none!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I had to add 2 oz. in the tail to get my Raptor to balance at 6 inches. Now, there's barely enough weight on the nose gear to keep it down. Anyone else experience this?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Hey rs670
What engine are you using on your F-22? I have the EV .46 on mine and I had to add lead weight to the nose to have her level out at the six inch mark. And mine flys really good. I hear a lot of poor reports from folks flying this plane almost to the point where I don't even want to read the H9 F-22 Raptor forums because of all the bad rap on this plane. I have no problems flying this aircraft and can't understand why so many people are having problems. Maybe there not keeping the speed up, I know this plane is better suited to fly faster then slower. It's a jet design so one needs to fly it like a Jet, not a slow flier.
Just my two cents worth.

P.S I like this plane so much, I bought two more ARF kits, and another EV. 52 motor to go into my next bird.

Regards, Jim S.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Hey again rs670
Sorry about my rant, But I forgot to mention that My F-22 is also light on the noise and wants to sit on it's tail with a empty fuel tank. But once fueled up she's OK.
I believe that H9 should have located the main landing gear back about one inch to make this bird stand on all three legs on an empty belly.

Jim S.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:38 PM

Congrats on getting a couple good landings on your first day. I own the F-22 as well and having flown planes for 25 years I can agree with you that its not a great overall plane to fly.

I found that getting rid of that PTS crap they give you and upgrading the engine to a SAITO .55 was a really good idea. You could leave the PTS training crap on there and still have a really good trainer as long as you upgrade the engine. EVO is garbage, so get rid of that engine ASAP, and zero the flaps. Flying with the flaps down is a real ***** and I wouldnt advise that anyone who has the raptor to fly it that way.

As far as aerobatics goes, its a good plane, and with the engine upgrades it performs like the little fighter that I think H9 was hoping it would be.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: rs670

I had to add 2 oz. in the tail to get my Raptor to balance at 6 inches. Now, there's barely enough weight on the nose gear to keep it down. Anyone else experience this?

Yeah man i had the same prob with mine, 2.5 oz in the tail. after flying it for the first time I wound up removing all the weight. it seemed to help but thats just me. not sure what engine you have installed but mine is an os 55 ax. unfortunatly I got weekend duty so i wont be out there tearing holes in the sky anytime soon.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the second reply Jim..... That makes me feel a little better. I figured a full tank would help put a little more weight on the nose wheel. The downthrust that's built in should also help as long as I land it with power. So far, I still have the std EVO 46 engine installed. My hanger is full of larger planes. The price on the Raptor PTS was so attractive, I bought it impulsively. I don't really consider myself a beginner but I set it up with all the trainer options with the exception of an APC 10/6 sport prop. Hopefully, I'll have some fun with it. Are you flying yours as a trainer or minus the droops, flaps and prop?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 PM

my sons rappy balanced perfect we got a os 46 in it but did not put the battery where they said instead i have a 6 volt battery located by the elevator servo why put weight in the nose he flys with the pts stuff till on it and the 3 blade prop
Old 06-07-2008, 01:29 AM

[size=3]ey I'm sure you havee heard out there that the nose gear is weak and breaks up fairly easily. I fould in my manual an insert that says Hanger 9 f 22 Raptor PTS Durability Upgrade Notice:
Not referencing any type of defect but instead a devised way to strengthen the F22 Raptor against damage during the type of hard landings on the nose experienced by some pilots. This bulletin simply improves the durability of the construction. We hope that this simple upgrade will give you more flying time at the field. Questions or concerns can go to our Product Support Team M-F 8am to 7pm CST. At 1-877-504-0233or email at [email protected]
You can get a copy sent to you that shows exactly what and where to do it. Basically you reinforce the lower side walls of the fuse in the bay where the steering linkage comes through with 3/32†to 1/8†thick plywood. Place the grain running from front to back. Apply thin coating of carpenters glue or 5 min. epoxy to the mating surfaces. Then apply a few drops of CA to hold the doublers in place while the rest of the glue dries. Then apply a small seal bead all around the inserts and allow it to set up for 24 hours.

Mine has already been done so if your planes a recent- you might be good to go.[/size]
Old 06-07-2008, 06:20 AM

My Raptor PTS came with precut plywood pieces along with instructions for upgrade. I also made a plywood reinforcement block to install between steering bracket and floor to strengthen nose gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65333.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	965495  
Old 06-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Hello I am new to the RC Airplanes my first airplane was the Hanger 9 F-22 Raptor. My first mistake was not getting the simulator so I have crash so many of them. I was looking for help I am rebuilding now I what to put the best engine on it but I still what to use the same mount can you help? You could check out my first videos that I made of the Raptor this is one http://youtube.com/watch?v=zBeGgX4CEO4
Old 06-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Man you learn the hard way don’t you! I am very sorry to see all the accidents you have had. Is there no RC club near you that you can join? Members of the clubs will almost always lend a helping hand. I am glad to see that you did finally get a landing in. Have you been up since then? I think it’s fair to say that this is your very first attempt at flying RC airplanes. You should get a hold of the F22 simulator, or maybe any simulator possible- try Real Flight G4.
My Raptor had a .45 engine on it and it was changed over to an OS .60 size. I have an Evolution on another plane and it runs great too. It will make a big difference in the power. I did not have to change the mount holes. Both engines are fairly inexpensive. Also change the prop to a 2 blade maybe somewhere in the range of 12x6, 11x7. The spinner size is 2†or you can go with another 3 blade prop but use a 10x7.
There are more than 17 pages of thread on this airplane alone- so dig in! It will take a while to read them all- but do- there is a lot of useful information on the F22.
Send more video when you can and good luck

Mike
Old 06-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Hello Hangar9 cool video of what not to do I also own the F-22 but as said before READ THIS POST there is alot of usefull info here.I have not even tried to fly mine yet doing the sim thing and practicing on my Parkzone J-3 before I even atemp this plane.Marknd,sbrackets seam to be really up on this plane I have learned alot by reading their post.Read the last 4-3 pages of this post VERY HELPFULL!!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:32 PM

I also wanna say I dont mean any disrespect for the other guys that post here I just find those two guys I mentioned VERY HELPFULL.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: bigmann292

I also wanna say I dont mean any disrespect for the other guys that post here I just find those two guys I mentioned VERY HELPFULL.

sure sure, i am going to go cry myself asleep!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:00 AM

Alse you can see This was my first RC Airplane. I am in Germany right now so I cant go to the clubs over her because they speak German[:@]. I am rebuelding my F-22 I am going to put a O.S 55 engine. As soon as I get the engine I will go fly and I will post the video.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Hanger 9 great video glad to see you are sticking with it
Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Excellent job H-9. That there it what it's all about. If the fear of crashing makes you sick, then you shouldn't fly. Glad you had the camera, now you can look back and laugh as I do..

Keep it up or down, just remember your camera..lol

Shane
Old 06-08-2008, 11:39 PM

Would anyone be interested in a PNP of this plane? I am thinking about selling mine whole (minus the radio) because I am fed up with the thing. I can fly just fine, I have other birds, but without more money going into it, this thing isn't leaving its rack. This is a nice looking plane, but it has problems at my altitude that I frankly don't want to deal with.

Not to mention my boss gives me a hard time for flying a jet with a prop on the front, in front of aerospace industry customers!

I am just trying to figure out if anyone might be interested before I post an ad and such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.