Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Hard time starting Nexstar >

Hard time starting Nexstar

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hard time starting Nexstar

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard time starting Nexstar

Having a hard time starting my nexstar. Airplane is new never started before now. I used Wildcat 18% oil fuel. I fill the tank maybe ¾, them I prime the engine until I see fuel in the line to the carb throat. Engine runs at idle but dies when I open the throttle more than say ¼ of an inch, just dies. I did not touch any settings; it was set at the factory. The only setting I touched was the needle valve and I set it to full counter-clockwise. When it was idling I move it to full clockwise and it died again. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong??
It also seem that after it dies, I must prime the engine to start it again.

THANKS!! Stash

PS---Boy those AA glow starters don’t last long, maybe a total of 5 minutes, till I have to replace it with a fresh battery.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Hard time starting Nexstar

You are turning the needle valve way to far.
Turn it all the way in (clockwise) then turn it out (counter clockwise)about 2-1/2 turns. Start your engine and go from there. Make small adjustments.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:39 PM

G'day mate, I assume you are changing your high speed needle valve, wind it all the way in carefully till it stops, DON"T force it, then wind it out whatever the book tells you usually 2 or 3 turns, this varies, depending on motor in question, start it at idle or just above then open throttle slowly & let motor pick up revs, don't touch needle valve at this stage, if motor just dies when throttle is opened then it is too lean, wind needle out 1/2 turn, if it smokes & stops it is too rich, wind needle in (clockwise) 1/4 turn, if it keeps running but not at full revs this is ideal, you need to run the motor for at least 1 tank of fuel in this rich setting, PLEASE get help from an experienced pilot from here on, as your motors life depends on it.
Good Flyin mate,
Allan.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:40 PM

good point missleman.allso if u dont have a electic starter it would be a good investment.and it is safer dont ask me how i no.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the reply-----On on Nexstar there is a limiter factory installed. I cannot move it more then from about 10 oclock to 3 oclock or so. Therefore I cannot turn it fully closed then open 2.5 turns unless I remove the limiter.
Thanks Stash
Old 05-08-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same plane and removed that limiter on the first day as it is inpossible for them to preset your engine for your altitude/temperature/humidity/etc. Lose it but have an experienced 2 stroke pilot show you how to tune it. My Nexstar runs great and does not make me deadstick unless I flew it out of fuel.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Yep. removed the limiter here.. I had a hard time getting it to run.. and when i removed the Glow driver it would stall. Instructor said take the "Limiter" off and then tune it down..

Engine is running great now that i could put it off of super super rich
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello

It sounds very much like you're doing this all on your own. And are doing it with no previous experience. That's not a good idea. Really.

You're located near Syracuse. There is at least one AMA club near you. http://www.members.aol.com/midstate4u/ These guys will either be glad to help you or possibly link you up with somebody closer to Auburn who could help you.

Getting your engine started is easy compared to flying that sucker. And if you don't get it set right, the flying is going to be even more difficult. And having luck getting the engine started with some internet advice is actually bad luck.

Get in touch with the MidState club.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting your engine started is easy compared to flying that sucker. And if you don't get it set right, the flying is going to be even more difficult. And having luck getting the engine started with some internet advice is actually bad luck.

Get in touch with the MidState club.
[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Best advise given yet.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Take the limiter off. Do you have an instructor teaching you to fly?? If so get him to help you retune your motor. From what you are saying it sounds like it's simply too rich. This means that there is too much fuel going into the engine at idle, which loads the engine up with fuel. Then when you open up the carb that extra fuel floods into the engine which kills it. You need to lean your mixture up (turn the needle valve in). But this is where the instructor really comes into play. If you lean it out too much the engine can overheat and damage the engine. It's really a pretty simple setting once you learn how to do it, but a nightmare until you learn how to do it. Thinks like tuning engines can be rough for us here on the internet to advise people on because we can't see and hear the motor running. While a knowledgeable person there can fix it quickly. Please seek out some local help at your field.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-08-2006, 09:37 PM

PLEASE GET HELP>>>> I have 36 planes and a half a thumb. This is a grate hobby. But these planes can be dangerous. The guys at your local flying field will be more than happy to meet you and teach you to fly.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: stashu

Thanks for the reply-----On on Nexstar there is a limiter factory installed. I cannot move it more then from about 10 oclock to 3 oclock or so. Therefore I cannot turn it fully closed then open 2.5 turns unless I remove the limiter.
Thanks Stash

Just ran my new one up the weekend. The factory "preset" isn't, on mine full limiter clockwise is closed and counter clock-wise is barely open. Remove the limiter and as per the manual open the needle valve 1-1/2 turns... it should start right up running rich. Worked for me.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:15 AM
My Feedback: (13)

fortunetly I crashed my limiter off. the factory settings are rich for a reason to allow the motor time to fully break in 2 turns out on the needle is about right but check your engine manual. after 10 runs lean out the engine for a proper tune and max performance dont lean it out to soon dont want to burn your motor if you run it to lean you run that risk as noted try a club its the best source of hands on help ask the club members who is the best engine guy then pay attention to what they are doing
Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 AM

make sure the fuel line makes no sharp turns or is crimped in any way to reduce fuel flow
Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 AM

Thanks to all!!!

I think after reading all your replies, the engine was running too lean, by turning the needle clockwise it was leaner yet causing the engine to die. I plan on taking off the limiter, remembering the correct turns out from closed and take it from there. I forgot to mention when Ii was attempting to start it and got it running there was NO smoke. I plan to start it tonight using the preset amount then adding 1/2 turns counterwise. Better to smoke than not :-)

Thanks Again!!!!

Yes--I belong to the Syracuse ARCS--But I wanted to start the engine before going out to the field to make sure there are no problems----
Old 05-09-2006, 11:52 AM

I wouldn't trust the preset at all. On my Nexstar Select, the limiter was set between fully closed and 1/4 turn out on the needle valve.

Your plane came with the .46FXi manual in the box, pull it out and read it. They recommend starting it at 1-1/2 turns out. Also, this engine is supposedly run-in at the factory, but I wouldn't trust that either, follow the break-in procedure. Once you find the optimum needle valve setting, as per the manual, toss the limiter on there, at the lean limit, then you can richen it up a bit for starting, and lean it out to your optimum setting.

Cheers,
Old 05-09-2006, 03:25 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: ghtracey

I wouldn't trust the preset at all.
I couldn't agree more. I've taught quite a few students that have had the Nexstar and I can't even count how many of them had the limiter set in the wrong place. My advice to anybody that gets one that has limiter on it is to just remove the limiter. You have to realize that that engine was ran and set at a location that ISN'T where you are. Temperature, humidity, altitude, and several other factors all can change how an engine runs at any needle setting. What worked at the factory could very well not work where you are. That's why it's usually better to just remove the limiter and presets and learn to tune the engine properly. It's something every pilot needs to learn anyway.

A "preset" engine is a good sales pitch, but doesn't always work in the real world.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 PM

UPDATE:
I removed the limiter and turned the needle valve in. It was set from 3/4 "high limit" to 1/4 "low limit" of a turn from closed. No wonder why I had a problem. I turned it out to 1 1/2 turns out, an all is well, runs excellent.

Thanks for all replies!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:41 PM
My Feedback: (13)

glad to hear you worked it out, imagine that good old OS read the manual and they fire right up guess that first crash helped me out by removing the limiter. LOL
Old 05-10-2006, 01:22 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Best wishes on flying it!