Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 NEED A PLANE for my engine >

NEED A PLANE for my engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

NEED A PLANE for my engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED A PLANE for my engine

Is there a trainer plane that this sport engine can safely be flown in or is a sport engine too much for a trainer? If the answer is 'yes' that it can be put into a trainer safely then what trainer would be best for this engine?

If it can not be used in a trainer, then what would be a good low-wing trainer/intermediate or bi-plane that would go with this engine?

I am interested in something that can be built with ailerons optional, I know you will say why not ailerons I am better off with them, but the truth is I just do not care for them.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV71&P=ML]Super Tigre .45 (CLICK HERE TO SEE DETAILS)[/link]

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11758.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	833540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60301.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	833541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58545.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	833542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39947.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	833543  
Old 12-24-2007, 11:04 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: NEED A PLANE for my engine

Any 40 size trainer would be fine with that engine on it.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:07 PM

Get yourself a goldberg falcon lll. Easy to build and flys very well with just rudder, elevator and throttle. No ailerons. I put 650 flights on mine with no ailerons before I sold it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. It's a blast to fly!

After about my 300th flight I took off into a 20 mph cross wind and did a big cartwheel 5 feet off the ground. Tore the fusalage completely in half, never hurt the wing and had it flying 2 days later. Thats the only mishap I had in 650 flights with it. That is one plane that will take a licking and keep on ticking! Even people at the flying field are amazed at what it will do with no ailerons.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJB5&P=0
Old 12-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (12)

Weight should / could be 5 to 6 pounds.........
Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 PM

Btw the term"sport" refers to basically normal as compared to "pylon" those are the high preformance engines the "sport" stuff are gernally designed not for top end performance but i bit more user friendliness.

Steven
Old 12-24-2007, 11:21 PM

The engine size is fine for planes that require 40 to 46 size engines trainers included. As far as ailerons vs. rudder, planes that have ailerons are much easier to control, even planes that were made to turn with rudder and had the ailerons added after. Once the plane is off the ground, its just as easy to learn to move the right stick to turn the plane as the left. If you insist on a 3 channel then can I suggest a Kadet Senior plane?? Easy to fly and would work well with the size engine that you have. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL1240&P=1[8D]
Old 12-24-2007, 11:31 PM

When you have a plane without ailerons, the rudder and elevator is on the right stick and throttle on the left. All you do is plug the rudder servo wire into the aileron slot on the receiver.
The rudder servo also controls your steering for your nose wheel.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Perfect for a trainer. I'd get a sig kadet 40 sized. Get ailerons whatever you do.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:17 AM
My Feedback: (13)

I have one in a Hobbico Avistar. Very powerful! Good match.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (12)

shd3920,

For what it's worth to you, three years ago, I started w/ a Nexstar and then went to a Avistar w/ OS46fx...'twas a good step up cause it was had aerobatic capabilities and was capable of fast speeds --I then went to a $120.00 Thunder Tiger Lazy P-51 w/ a 40 La (you could still use your Super Tigre in it) in it for the low wing tail-dragger experience...if I had to do it again, I would do it the SAME.

By the way, my 4th plane was a Sig Mayhem 3D - although I didn't /don't do 3D - with a Saito 100. You could go directly to the Mayhem for your 3rd plane, it was an absolute kitten until I started flying it like a tiger and lost it to some trees on the second outside loop that lost too much altitude.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

root
Old 12-25-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ST .45 is a very nice engine. It will serve you well in about any .40 size airframe.

I`m curious ? Why do you not want ailerons ?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Basically I just don't like the way they come out when I do them.

I am not disrespecting the aileron or those of you who swear by them, I only prefer not to have them.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:01 PM

if your super tiger is like mine, you will get good at engine tuning (because it requires a lot) with that engine. anything else will seem easy to tune afterward. now on the other hand, when it runs well, it will outperform just about any of the other engines the same size that i have had the opportunity to play with.

fwiw, mine seems to run best with a MA 10X6 or a wood 10X6. but be warned the wood props you only get one mistake (prop strike) and they are done.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:07 PM

I would suggest a SIG Kadet Senior or Kadet LT40.
shd3920, If you can't or won't fly ailerons that is fine but you will be very limited in how far you can go in this hobby.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Be advised the Kadet Senior 'ARF' has ailerons and to fly without would require the need to deadend the aileron pushrods. The Kadet Senior 'Kit' comes without ailerons and has a two inch shorter wingspan. Agine the Kit is a kit not an ARF it is a box of lumber and hardware and plans. It is to be 'built' not 'assembled'.

Both are superb trainers but a more ideal engine size in a two stroke for either is a .61.

On the other hand the LT-40 is as successful as a long time trainer and just as superb, the .45 would be ideal. The kit I think now discontinued and the arf version both come set up for ailerons so agine to go without would require deadending the pushrods.

And as has already been noted if you learning mode 11 then to fly with three channels the rudder

is plugged to the aileron port of the Rx.

John
Old 12-25-2007, 08:54 PM
My Feedback: (3)

LT 40 would be perfect fot that motor. It does have ailerons though. What is it that is giving you problems with ailerons? We would be glad to help with any problems. There are a few tricks these guys could clue you in on I'm sure. One is to use the hinges with the metal hinge pins and pull them out , slide one long sames dia. piece of MUSIC WIRE for each wing in and fasten it securely with a piece of iron on covering at the wing tip ( requires a small 90 degree bend in the wire). This is an old trick that allows the aileron to be removed for repairs. JUST IN CASE also using some extra covering or clear covering to seal the hinge gap from the top can look nice and improve function.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: troposcuba

. . . now on the other hand, when it runs well, it will outperform just about any of the other engines the same size that i have had the opportunity to play with.
If you say it outperforms any other engine the same size, is it possible this engine would do well in say a .50 - .60 size trainer?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:44 PM

Some possibilities, can you come up with some other possibilites that can be built without ailerons?

Built the PT-40 so I know this one can be built without ailerons, so this is a definite possibility.
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ558&P=0]Great Planes PT-60 Kit [/link]

Built one of these as well but converted it to electric. Can this be built without ailerons?
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSVC2&P=0]Lanier Super ST-40 Kit[/link]

Can any of these three be built without ailerons?
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJB5&P=0]Goldberg Falcon III Kit[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJB9&P=0]Goldberg Eagle 2 Kit[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJC1&P=0]Goldberg Protege 60 Kit[/link]

Another possibility would be the LT-40, I have built one of those and know it can be built without ailerons.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:32 AM

If money is an issue and you want one with no ailerons, I'd get this one.....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK552&P=0

Other than that, I'd go with this one if you're not going to use ailerons.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6781513/tm.htm

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: hungryandbroke

What size servos?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:46 AM

if it's you first model, get a duraplane.

It'll survive, look and fly better than all the trainers out there after a crash
and it has ailerons too.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: danny31292

ORIGINAL: hungryandbroke

What size servos?
I guess if he went with that one he'd want the #64 RB engine servo. Not sure if it comes in digital or not.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: shd3920

ORIGINAL: troposcuba

. . . now on the other hand, when it runs well, it will outperform just about any of the other engines the same size that i have had the opportunity to play with.
If you say it outperforms any other engine the same size, is it possible this engine would do well in say a .50 - .60 size trainer?
definitely not the case with mine. it has run very erratically since it was given to me. runs great sometimes, and almost won't run sometimes. (trust me when i say it is not due to my lack of tuning ability... all my other engines run great and no one i know can make this thing run right sometimes. just has personality i guess) would be tough to deal with in a trainer. I wouldn't say enough extra power for the larger sized planes either, just more than the average .45 at the field.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
Can't understand why you don't want to fly with ailerons???
Nearly all airplanes can be flown without ailerons provided the wing has enough dihedral. But they will not fly as good as with ailerons!
Old 12-26-2007, 04:37 PM

shd3920

I will not try to convince you to use ailerons. You should fly the way you like, that's the only way it's fun.

All model planes can be built without functioning ailerons.

Since you've built a PT-40, you know how to lock ailerons. The same method can be applied to any model. You mention a couple of 60 size kits (PT-60 & Protege) in post #18. I wouldn't build either with the intention of using a 45 engine. I know the PT-60 book "says" 45-61 is the recommended engine range but a 45 would be pretty underpowered and you'd probably need a lot of lead bolted to the nose to balance it. I built a PT-60 that required several ounces of nose weight using a Thunder Tiger 61. My brother built a replacement, as a gift, after I crashed the one I built and it also required nose weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.