RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Windows 7 64bit ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/9630189-windows-7-64bit.html)

MetallicaJunkie 04-01-2010 03:28 PM

Windows 7 64bit ?

I recently pieced together a new PC from aftermarket parts and i am running a pretty decent CPU(Phenom II X4 945),video card(ATI HD 5770) 4Gb ram .I am still running Winows XP 32bit...i am ready to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit... Will Realflight G4.5 still work? Will i have to Reinstall it again? Is it Compatible with Windows 7 64 bit?

armody 04-01-2010 03:39 PM

RE: Windows 7 64bit ?

Hey Metallica,

I'm using Windows 7 Pro edition 32 bits, infact simple thing which everybody knows to google it and find out if this Sim is compatible or not. I know anything which is compatible with Vista is compatible with Win 7. I hope somebody would come up with the right answer. I'd recommend you to dig real flight's website or if there is any patch need you may download and run it. I'm running FMS on my Windows 7, I had to download a dll file and it's running great. :D

Mody

rwright142 04-01-2010 03:57 PM

You can also run the program in XP or Vista mode and there are shims for programs to patch them if they are not 64bit compatible.
I've been running W7 for over a year but have only had the 64bit Enterprise version for about a month. I have a 15 yr old Euchre (card game) program that did not run until I learned about running programs in "compatibility" mode. No guarantee it will work though, sorry.

carrellh 04-01-2010 04:04 PM

You might look for info in the RC Flight Simulator Forum
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_138/tt.htm

therealcrazy8 04-01-2010 04:07 PM

Im in the ITindustry and if you want just an opinion, I would stay away from 64 bit for this very reason. The only REAL advantage as far as I can see with running a 64 bit OS (other than linux) is the support for higher ammounts of RAM. If all the software you have is 32-bit and your hardware is mostly 32-bit then there is no real reason to go to 64-bit. I dont know your knowledge on computer stuff but most average Joes see "64-bit" and think "Sweet thats going to be way better and way faster and is the newest thing out, I should get it." But what ever you do hopefully you will get it all to work :D

MetallicaJunkie 04-01-2010 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: armody

Hey Metallica,

I'm using Windows 7 Pro edition 32 bits, infact simple thing which everybody knows to google it and find out if this Sim is compatible or not. I know anything which is compatible with Vista is compatible with Win 7. I hope somebody would come up with the right answer. I'd recommend you to dig real flight's website or if there is any patch need you may download and run it. I'm running FMS on my Windows 7, I had to download a dll file and it's running great. :D

Mody

i did but didnt find an answer....thats why i came here and ask the RC community

faulknej 04-01-2010 05:51 PM

I'm running Window 7 x64 and both RF G5and Phoenix run fine.

MetallicaJunkie 04-01-2010 06:29 PM

awesome...as of right now my PC only sees 3.25 gigs of ram....soon it will see 8:D

bigedmustafa 04-01-2010 09:13 PM

I've been running Vista Home Premium 64-bit for about a year now (as far as I know, I'm the only person on Earth happy with Windows Vista) on both my notebook and desktop. I've run Real Flight G3.5, Real Flight G5, ClearView, and the Phoenix RC Flight Sim demo all with no problem. The biggest change from Vista to Windows 7 is that they no longer call it Vista.

RCKen 04-01-2010 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa
.....(as far as I know, I'm the only person on Earth happy with Windows Vista

Ed,
actually Ithere there are 4 of you outthere there that like it!!!!!;) http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Ken

bigedmustafa 04-01-2010 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa
.....(as far as I know, I'm the only person on Earth happy with Windows Vista

Ed,
actually I there there are 4 of you out there there that like it!!!!! ;) [img][/img]

Ken
Well, let's see who else loves Windows Vista:

Steve Jobs
Linus Torvalds
The shareholders of Novell, Red Hat, and Canonical...

OK, what I meant is I'm the only person on Earth who is happy with Windows Vista and actually runs the operating system.

armody 04-01-2010 10:10 PM

Mustafa,

I had absolutely no problem with Vista Ultimate Version. I'm in Information Technology field, and I've been part of Chevron's migration to Vista, Shell's migration to vista, so I know they are working good. Windows 7 is going to be a replacement of Vista.

Linus Torvalds wrote Linux and Linux is the most solid secure system in the market and it's open source. Free:D I have worked on it, and I really liked it, specially their windows GUI (graphic user interface) flavors like Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

therealcrazy8 04-01-2010 10:33 PM

Yeah I am a big fan of linux myself to and I hate apple (anything) with a fiery passion..lol I to have run Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop for a few years now and have had no issues. There are a few of us that dont have problems but there are alot who think its just as bad as ME. Personally I think saying its as bad as ME is a huge stretch.

Insanemoondoggie 04-02-2010 06:38 AM

Vista works O.K. now that the 3rd party programs have caught up on their drivers. Vista is a flat out memory hog and uses about 2 gigs of memory just to run the operating system. You can speed it up some , by disabling the widgets.
I build gaming computers as a hobby .and have installed window 32 bit Media, XP Pro 32 and 64 bit ,Vista 64 and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on my personal computer. AMD 4 core, 2 500 gig hard drives Raid 1 , 8 gigs DDR3 and 2 Nvidia GTX 9800 + 500 mb graphics cards in SLI. The jump between Vista and Widows 7 was huge. The speed went from fast , to super fast . I haven't timed it , but cold boot isaboutunder 45 seconds . The graphics are much much better
Window 7 runs G4.5 and G5.0 without any issues. Some of my older software ,I had to run in compatibility mode ,but it well run them.

CGRetired 04-02-2010 07:10 AM

The computer I am using right now is a Dell Lattitude E6500 with 8 Gig Ram and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. It is my work laptop computer, I'm on the road today. I don't have G5 on this machine, but I do have it installed on my home computer which is a Dell Inspiron with 4 Gig of ram and running Windows 7 Home Premium and it runs just fine. I specifically asked for this level of computer for work because of what I have to do with it.... very large data files processed as quickly as possible for analysis. So far, I've not found anything that won't run on this computer. If it runs on Vista, it pretty much will run on this.

CGr.

Bonified Wingnut 04-02-2010 07:35 AM

My first PC had 64 MB of ram, my first computer had 64 kilobytes. Now I have a 64 bit OS. Not relevant - but interesting.-BW

ShaneLittle 04-02-2010 09:46 AM

I agree with one of the posters above. Stay away from 64 bit. Although many are running seamless, many are not. It's just not industry standard yet so there are compatability issues. I work in IT as well, and I get LOTS of 64bit issues concerning compatability from VPN clients to normal applications. Just my .02.

rowdog_14 04-02-2010 11:13 AM

That sim will work fine in windows 7 just make sure it installs in program files (x86) which is the 32 bit folder. Windows 7 installs it by default in that folder just make sure it does. Also running programs like this in XP mode it not required. XP mode is meant for basic programs not games, or graphic intensive applications. I am running realflight G3.5 on win7 64bit and it runs great. I just used the G3 disc and then ran all the up dates to install G3.5 and it worked fine.

Good luck

cheezer1222 04-02-2010 11:35 AM

I am running g4.5 on windows 7 64bit. It does work. As far as all the people who are trying to steer you away from 64bit, I will just throw in my .02. I've been running Windows 7 64bit for a while now, and have yet to run into a compatibility issue with any software that I've installed. The only 64bit compatibility issues that I have ever run into was way back with xp 64bit when it was first new, and then a few in the beginning with vista. That was probably because (as ShaneLittle mentioned) it was not really a standard. To say that it's still not a standard is just not true. 64bit has been around for 3 generations of windows operating systems, and pretty much every other operating system out there has a 64bit version. Personally I don't worry about it anymore. If I'm using 4GB of ram or more in my pc, I'll use a 64bit operating system (there are more advantages than ram support, but ram is the obvious advantage), if I'm just throwing together a little file server or something, I'll just use a 32bit operating system.

Prop_Washer2 04-02-2010 11:38 AM

I run both XP Pro 32, and W7 64, it's easy and then you will be equipped to handle pretty much any application out there. Here is a link on how to install both, and how to use Partition Master, (real easy to use) but the Freeware version only runs under 32-bit, sooo...just DL it and install in your XP OS, run it, and set a new i.e. "blank" partition for W7 64, then shut down and reboot with your W7 DVD in the drive to boot from, W7 will ask if you want to upgrade or install a new OS, select "New" then it will show the new "unallocated partition", slect that one and let her rip..!!

Here is a good link to show you how...!!! You can Google "Partition Master", the standard one is free everywhere, also it is a newer version than the video suggests...

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/it...18&tag=nl.e099

jfetter 04-02-2010 11:41 AM

Running G4.5 on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, works great, no issues at all. BTW, the IT guy that said no reason unless you've got 64-bit apps wasn't comepletely correct, a 64-bit OS can isolate memory and keep a nasty application from taking out the OS, you'll have far fewer (if any) system lock ups or application freezes with a 64-bit OS...

Jack

Prop_Washer2 04-02-2010 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: jfetter

Running G4.5 on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, works great, no issues at all. BTW, the IT guy that said no reason unless you've got 64-bit apps wasn't comepletely correct, a 64-bit OS can isolate memory and keep a nasty application from taking out the OS, you'll have far fewer (if any) system lock ups or application freezes with a 64-bit OS...

Jack

Yup, and the Kernel is locked...!!!

aerofly0610 04-03-2010 02:00 AM

You can play with the compatibility settings or use XP mode.  Most problems with the older games have to do with graphic driver interaction.  Vista and Windows 7 share the same kernel code base.  I believe RF 4.5 and RF 5 are similar code base, but you would have to talk with someone at knife's edge.  I run windows 7 64 bit with an ati 5770 and a phenom x3 and have no problems with RF5.  I have everything cranked up and she runs smooth. 

If I remember right in-place upgrade of XP to windows 7 is a no go (as they are dissimilar kernel base).  You might have to do a fresh reinstall, thus reinstalling everything else.  Check the Microsoft forums.  Hope it all works out for you!

MetallicaJunkie 04-06-2010 03:03 AM

I finally installed Windows 7 Professional(64 bit) and RF G4.5 worked fine...I had to run it "Compatibility Mode" Windows XP....