Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Wanted: Canopy for LA Racer >

Wanted: Canopy for LA Racer

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Wanted: Canopy for LA Racer

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wanted: Canopy for LA Racer

Looking for a friend....canopy wanted for a LA Racer....if someone out there that may have a crashed LA Racer or used canopy that they no longer are using, pm me or let me know here please.
Thanks,
John
Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Greg Doe. He makes a great replacement out of lightweight fiberglass. I've got a couple and they are nice!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Battman.
yes indeed , Greg makes the best replacement canopy ever but they are for the SR, not the LA racer. The LA has the difference of having the turtle deck on the back of the canopy.
This canopy would be needed for the Talley brothers, they have misplaced one and need it for that.

Greg, I got your pm, thanks . I just dont know if making just one would justify all that work to make a new mold for it.
Thanks again all!!
John
Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed the LA part.........

Another alternative would be to modify an existing canopy from Great Planes such as http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ934&P=ML
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a canopy from a crashed LA Racer 40 that has a couple of tiny black marks that will probably come off with alcohol. I can try. It is free except for shipping.

Greg, if you want to make a mold of the LA Racer canopy, I will send you a fresh one. I am going to be sending you a piece of memorabilia. I'm making some epoxy Stegall Minnows. I have all of the molds for all of the versions except the very first one that was a clone of a wood kit. I think you'll remember the Boni Toni.

I have one solid white LA Racer 40 and a solid yellow one. I will let them go for $135 (each) shipped in the U.S. These are the new ones with the aluminum landing gear and wheel pants.

www.StegallHobbies.com is back up and I will be adding more products soon.

See my video for a tool I use and sell at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNP0om0BDzI
Old 09-22-2014, 08:40 AM

The canopy just has some grime on it and minor black marks.

I'm going to send it to Greg Doe along with a "used" fuselage to help him get the fit right. And some people think I don't "fly" airplanes.

Here is a picture of one of Greg's fiberglass Sky Raider Mach II canopies. Very nice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2034178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2034179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2034180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2034181  
Old 09-23-2014, 06:31 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Tbatt
I missed the LA part.........

Another alternative would be to modify an existing canopy from Great Planes such as http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ934&P=ML

Now Tim,

Far be it from little ole ME to call anyone out, but do you really believe DP2 would let them race with a modified canopy? I mean REALLY?
LOL,
Will

Ps. Here's to hoping we can regenerate some interest in Club 40 in Alabama next year!!!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:10 PM

I sent the canopy and fuselage to Greg. I know he had more pressing projects, but I'm sure he will let use know when the molds are ready and canopies are available
Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Bill, The canopy that I make for the Sky Raider Mk II is an exact copy of the original. It was approved by the committee that reviews rules proposals. The only area that someone might consider a modification is that it's molded epoxy, and glass cloth, instead of vacuum formed sheet plastic. Normally they are painted black in the mold, but I will do other colors for a special request. I now have the LA Racer, fuselage, and canopy that is in Don Stegall's post on this thread. If there is anyone interested besides Ron Tally, and Don Stegall send me a message. I hope to have a LA Racer canopy mold in a few weeks. Greg
Old 11-06-2014, 06:22 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Bill, The canopy that I make for the Sky Raider Mk II is an exact copy of the original. It was approved by the committee that reviews rules proposals. The only area that someone might consider a modification is that it's molded epoxy, and glass cloth, instead of vacuum formed sheet plastic. Normally they are painted black in the mold, but I will do other colors for a special request. I now have the LA Racer, fuselage, and canopy that is in Don Stegall's post on this thread. If there is anyone interested besides Ron Tally, and Don Stegall send me a message. I hope to have a LA Racer canopy mold in a few weeks. Greg
Good morning Greg,

I wasn"t meaning to refer to your canopies as modified, I was refering, tongue in cheek, to Tim's suggestion that John use a modified Tower Hobbies canopy. I prefer your canopies on my Sky Raiders and would like to have a couple more as well as an LA Racer canopy.

Thanks,
Will Swope
Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Will, I can't always remember who has seen, or bought my canopies, so I understand your comment about Batman's suggestion. My concern is that someone will read this, and conclude that people are running "modified" parts, or airplanes. By the way, a canopy, or no canopy doesn't make the Sky Raider any faster. Also, did you get the word that Dave Phillips is considering hosting a Club 40 race in Alabaster, AL in late Nov, or early Dec? Greg
Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 AM

Greg has produced a mold for fiberglass canopies for the LA Racer 40. They are really nice. The price is $10 plus shipping and you can get them from Greg or me at StegallHobbies.com.

They have been approved by the RCPRO Club 40 Committee.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2098465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2098466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	2.19 MB