Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Micro Cessna Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Cessna Questions

So we have a micro cessna 210, and it has been a good little plane, fun and all, last week the prop broke, and now today after getting a new prop. my brother put it in the grass again (how the prop broke the first time) and now he managed to break the prop shaft off, into the new propeller. So my question is, do i have to get that whole motor and gearbox setup or is their just a shaft that you can change out?

Secondly what type of glue is used in those small spaces inside with all the electronics? and how do you solder such small things, and with what solder?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 PM

Default RE: Micro Cessna Questions

Snoman, assuming you can get the shaft out of the prop just screw it on the remainder of the prop spur. You can use elmers white glue, but I found a canopy glue that stays a bit soft that i use in there now. For a motor replacement the biggest trick is to get the assy out of the fuse with minimal damage. The best/safest way to do the soldering is to either solder a micro connector on either end of the wires or to do a splice. I don't recommend soldering directly on the board unless you are really comfortable with that.

For the actual soldering you want a 15w iron, some flux, and I use 0.022 silver bearing solder. The iron should have a small tip.

Yes, you have to get the whole gearbox set up.

I hope that's helpful. I'll be around so let me know if you need anything else.

Tim
Old 06-12-2008, 03:53 PM

The same exact thing happened to me I was flying it, it crashed on the grass and the prop and part of the shaft cracked off. I'll I had to do was send it to the Horizion Hobby service repair center and they gave me a new one for free but when I got it back the single half prop snapped off but then was repaired with plastic epoxy and is stronger than ever.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:21 AM

If you fly the Cessna 210 or a Citabria sooner or later you will break a prop shaft. They almost always break at the end of the threads. If you want to repair it exactly as it was when it was new, you have to buy a new motor and gear drive. If you buy one it is much easier to just use the new shaft and replace the broken one. To get the old shaft out remove the bras retainer and slide the shaft out toward the front. You will have to remove a little of the foam around the front opening.

There are several "fixes" that I have used. The easiest and most common is to just CA glue a new prop on. There is enough shaft to do this if it breaks at the end of the thread.

You can also cut a piece of 1/16 inch brass tubing long enough to go from the gear to where the original end of the shaft was. Drill the inside of the tube out with a 1mm drill (#61 drill). Drill the prop out to 1/16 inch and CA everything together You can also use a piece of tubing prepared as above to reinforce an unbroken shaft.

You can also make new prop shafts from .039 music wire available at LHS or hardware stores. The original shafts are splined under the gear. You can roll the shaft under the edge of a narrow file and it will roughen it enough that CA will hold the gear. A little experimenting and you will be able to make usable prop shafts.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 AM
My Feedback: (1)

i havent broke mine in 2 years but then i have 26 years flying exp. heres a good hint if you are coming into grass cut all power you will not break the prop or shaft. 18grams is the wt nothing should break. my only complaint its hard to do aerobatics buts its a hoot in the neigborhood. are you guys flying out of range? remeber keep it close to thr tx and keep fresh batts in the tx