Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Safe Select Rx/Tx Channel Usage >

Safe Select Rx/Tx Channel Usage

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Safe Select Rx/Tx Channel Usage

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe Select Rx/Tx Channel Usage

Hello all! I'm just getting into RC Aircraft and have a few questions about Safe Select that I can't seem to find answers to. I have read one post on rcgroups by Prof100 that seems to imply that SAFE can be bound to a receiver as either permanently on or permanently off, in my mind meaning it does not need a switch for that option and therefore does not occupy a transmitter channel. Additionally, it also says that it can be assigned a switch to toggle between on and off mid-flight using an aux channel.

However, when looking at BNF aircraft that have an AS3X receiver with Safe Select programmed in, it seems that Safe Select ALWAYS requires at least a dedicated transmitter channel. If this is the case, does it also require a receiver channel? Which is correct?

Ultimately, can a nominally 6 channel plane with a 6 channel receiver and additional Safe Select be operated from a 6 channels transmitter, or are 7 channels required for it all?

Last edited by mhazzard; 04-09-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

Bind and fly aircraft with SAFE are built the way the company wants them to be built. That doesn't mean they have to be built that way. But any time a transmitter channel is used a receiver channel is also used except is special mixing situations on specific transmitters. But that's another story. Just remember, if you are going to use a transmitter channel then use the receiver channel assigned to it as well.
Regarding SAFE, it has a mode input that an be set for permanently on or off, either of which, contrary to Prof100, is in my opinion dumb. It can be connected to ANY UNUSED transmitter/receiver channel. So let's say you went out and bought a P51 with flaps and retracts and a Spectrum 6 channel radio. You made a mistake. You need 7 channels or play some games. One solution is to leave the flaps disconnected and use that switch for SAFE Or leave the gear disconnected and use that switch. Either gear or flaps are more advanced options anyway so leaving one or the other disconnected until you get used to flying without SAFE mode is not such a big deal. The last option is to connect SAFE and gear (or flaps) together with a y-harness such that when gear is down SAFE is on and when it is up SAFE is off.

As an afterthought, if SAFE uses 3 modes then flaps also typically use three modes and you could y-harness those. Then set your flaps linkage so you get the least movement until you get used to flying the different modes.

Last edited by rgburrill; 04-09-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
As an afterthought, if SAFE uses 3 modes then flaps also typically use three modes and you could y-harness those. Then set your flaps linkage so you get the least movement until you get used to flying the different modes.
I know Safe+ has those 3 modes, but SS is either On (self leveling and limited flight envelope) or Off (no self leveling or flight envelope), which is why I think Prof100 said that it can be bound permanently on or off, which I agree is ridiculous and limiting.

I did call Horizon Hobby and ask about whether or not a nominally 6 channel plane like a Turbo Timber can be used with a 6 channel transmitter while still maintaining all available flight controls, and the representative said yes because SS is built into the receiver and does not take up a channel slot and therefore should not require a transmitter slot. It does, though, need a free switch, so these seem to be contradictory.

Just trying to make sure that I don't spend hundreds of dollars now on a radio (DX6/8) just to find out later that it doesn't control everything in the long run, while also not buying a radio that I will never use to the full potential. Apologies if this is such a newbie issue or if I'm overthinking things.