Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > EvoJet Direct Support
 cant get 160 booster started >

cant get 160 booster started

Community
Search
Notices
EvoJet Direct Support When you have questions and need help from the source, discuss the EvoJet here.

cant get 160 booster started

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get 160 booster started

hi all , need some help please,have just got a second hand booster with 1 hour 12 min on the clock, went to start it today on the first start it failedand came up tolf on the ecu.so tried again it started then settled down on idel then when i put it to about half throttle it cut out and said max t on the ecu, now it starts but when its just about to settle on idel it cuts out and says max t all the time.please any help would be good as its doing me head in now, cheers,steve.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: cant get 160 booster started

Welllllll............

Is the thermocouple working properly? Is it too deep into the engine? (2~4mm is all) Is there a visual "Glow" on the tail cone that would indicate that it was getting too hot?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 AM

Dr. Honda, we don't use an external thermo coupler. All internal.

Musky, what is your set up? What plane is it in? Are you using a bypass or thrust tube? You usually see this if the exhaust air is re-circing through the system. If you could post a pic of your install it would help diagnose.

Chad
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve

Give Dave Wilshire at Motors and Rotors a call, he is the importer of EvoJets I think, certainly he sells them anyway.

Mike
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

Welllllll............

Is the thermocouple working properly? Is it too deep into the engine? (2~4mm is all) Is there a visual ''Glow'' on the tail cone that would indicate that it was getting too hot?
Tony

EvoJets have an internal thermal couple.

Mike
Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM

hi guys thanks for the imput, its in a jetwelt provos and its got a long thrust tube, i have no pictures of the inside but my mate was running the same turbine when he had it , its got to be a set up prob surely,
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Without seeing it, there's not much more I can do from this side of the pond. Maybe Dave can be of more assistance.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM

dont know if you mind putting your mob no on here i could take some pictures and send them to you, understand if you dont put your no up though, steve, and ya will give dave a call on monday he always good when it comes to help ,
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

Welllllll............

Is the thermocouple working properly? Is it too deep into the engine? (2~4mm is all) Is there a visual ''Glow'' on the tail cone that would indicate that it was getting too hot?
Tony

EvoJets have an internal thermal couple.

Mike

Thanks... didn't know, and just trying to help.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 AM

maxT The exhaust gas temperature exceeds the value specified under LIMITS 36:EGT-OFF.
Reasons may be:
âž” Large air bubbles in the fuel supply system
âž” A fuel puddle in the turbine
Solution: Hold a cloth against the engine intake and tilt the engine or the aircraft model
upright with the intake facing down, so the fuel flows out of the engine into the cloth.
Caution: Take care not to pollute the starter motor and/or the clutch!
âž” The clutch rubber of the starter motor is oily or worn out.
Solution: Carefully clean it with a cotton bud and glass cleaning agent.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM

ya have seen all that in the book, and tried it all, spoke to arno he said the ecu needs an upgrade, we did find the black cable was causing the starting problems but now it starts but cant get past quater throttle coming up tolf. means incorrect signals.anyway the ecu has gone to arno so hopefully it will get sorted. thanks for the mes,steve,
Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 AM

Im having similar issues with a 140 , change the turbine and all seems fine until original turbine use which is only 6 months old. Anyway its also going back to Arno, going to be interesting what they find. Agents this side cannot find anything wrong and this is after a software upgrade as well. They did find the front bearing was rough, so that was changed. Turbine gave 11 good starts then back to it same old sh"""t.....doesnt ge full RPM. This morning first flight great full rpm...Second flight on the ground good during the flight would not spool up further than 50% Throttle. Landed , checked on the ground and the same max rpm 74000, every start. Agents came out to the field attached his laptop recorded some data for Arno. Change the pump, same issues. Back to the shop changed the turbine all good as new,,,,,,,very interesting. ECU gives no errors ....Anyway at least there is good product support here in SA Cape Town. Michael and Clinton have spent hr trying to sort this. . So let' see what comes of this. This is the second Evo Jet I have owned, never had an issue.

gary
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM

hi gary ,thanks for the mes mate, mmmm i have owned a booster before and it was great,but i do hear a lot of problems lately . dont know what to think, to be fair the guy i bought it of is being spot on, the ecu has been upgraded and is on the way back, we did try another ecu which belongs to a good mate but the turbine just done the same,the genltman who i bought it from is going to run it all up ,if it is doing the same he is going to give me back my money and i think he is going to send the whole thing to arno,the issue i have do i change make of turbine or do i pay a lot more money for a new evo160, ?