Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

how to flood an engine.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to flood an engine.......

the subject is more a question......cause i don't know how this happened....

the last time the engine was running (yesterday) i did a high speed pass and hit the kill switch to check on the spark plug color.

it did look good,so i put it back and called it the day.

today i tried to start the engine and for the first time it did not start by hand!!! (the engine is new, almost a gallon through)
i tried many times..... although it did not hydraulic lock, the spark plug was wet.

used the electric starter to dry the cylinder and it started right after.

it doesn't sound like a big deal,but what did happened? was it the high speed pass and hitting the kill switch the culprit?
i didn't do anything else differently.....

any thoughts?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: how to flood an engine.......

Most likely yes. If you're flying at high speed and shut off the ignition the prop will wind mill from forward motion and air speed for many more revolutions than it would if it were on the ground, for the same reason it provides a breaking effect on down lines.  With the throttle at wide open and the prop continuing to spin the carb is pumping at what ever demand the engine is spinning at, the fuel pump won't stop pumping just because the fire goes out. It won't hydrolicly lock up for muliple reasons but the main one is that the engine is designed to scavenge air/fuel both into and out of the cylinder. If fuel is not introduced into the engine at a higher volume than the carburetor is designed to pump it will just be pushed out the exhaust.