Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

2 stroke oil for gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 10:37 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic

I agree with Ed, if your going to use Amsoil 100:1, then mix it 100:1
When I first started to use it, I asked a hoda racing tech about it. I asked him if I could mix it at 75:1 and what would happen, and he said that first I would be burning more oil and in the long run probably carbon up faster. So 100:1 since 1996, with no problem.

Roger
ACM Rep....
Team ACM
Fiber Optic Servo Extensions
Forgues Propellers
Multiplex Dealer
http://www.aerografixs.com
Model-Scan Frequency Analyzer
Old 04-27-2002, 04:45 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Default 2 stroke oil for gas engines

Ed,
The reason that I run a mix from 100:1 to 75:1 is because I did a rough capability study on mixing the varibility that can be seen when mixing oil to fuel. (I know this is anal, but I am an engineer and wanted to know)

I find that if I shoot for 90:1, I will get from 98:1 to 80:1. The error that I have not measured is the error at the gas pump. My estimation is that gas in the line that is not measured will push me to 100:1 and the inaccuracy of the pump can go to 75:1.

I had all the numbers but I threw them away after I did the study!
Old 04-27-2002, 04:57 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Since we are all metric here in Canada, its easy for me to mix properly.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by aerografixs
Since we are all metric here in Canada, its easy for me to mix properly.

I think that he's refering to the calibration of the gas pump....
Whether it pumps a true gallon/liter..when it says it did on the pump...
Old 04-27-2002, 06:47 PM

Default Is Stihl Pet or Syn oil?

Stihl is a petroleum base oil that contains Naptha.
They have a web site you can vist for more info.
www.stihlusa.com
Old 04-27-2002, 06:49 PM

On the sites main page go to the bottom of the page and click on PRODUCTS, next page click on ACCESSORIES, next page click on 2CYCLE OIL
Old 04-28-2002, 04:26 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Interesting topic!!!

I just bought my first gas and started it for the first time yesterday. I bought oil from Wal-mart, Supertech was the brand. Is that synthetic or not?? It does not say on the bottle. I also was wondering what octane to use. I have heard regular(87) as well as mid or high grade!! I bought the mid (91) and figured it wound work fine. I don't think my motor is a high compression or high power engine that needs the high octane. Any thoughts from the experienced gas crowd??

Can my engine be saved if The oil I was using was synthetic? I ran it for an hour at 25:1 and that was it. What is the best thing to do next for the engine??? It is a Fuji 32, pretty nice.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 11-20-2005, 09:56 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 2 stroke oil for gas engines

I live in Southern California. Where can I find Pennzoil air cooled 2 stroke oil.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:00 PM
My Feedback: (69)

I got mine at advance auto parts, or you can order it from a lot of places on the net
Old 11-20-2005, 11:25 PM

jrJohn, the manual specifys Stihl 50:1 or Klotz. If you have purchased a new engine the Stihl was included. Please follow the manual.
We made the engine and feel that the Stihl 50:1 is what should be run, after a slight break in then switch to Amsoil.
This may sound a little harsh to some of the posters on this forum, If a manufacturer of any product writes a manual with specific information as to what or how to use that product, then why is it necessary to ask others not involved in that product.

jrjohn PLEASE follow the manual or contact us direct with your questions.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Bill-O, I don't regard your statement as harsh...I couldn't agree with you more. I just bought my first gasser after years of glo so I am a newbie. It was not your brand, it is FPE 3.2 and the manual says too much oil can cause carbon build-up and in extreme cases, rings to stick! So, why would I stray from what they said? They did not recommend a specific brand of oil; they simply mentioned two brands they had tested satisfactorily.

At the moment I am using Bel-Ray Si-7 oil at 50:1 I bought at a local motorcycle shop. The can says good in all two stroke engines. If this turns out to be wrong, I'll have plenty of time for cursing them and the engine manufacturer later. But I'd believe them over someone who posts his "favorite" recipe on this forum.

Larry
Old 11-21-2005, 06:44 PM

I was just trying to point out that in a lot of cases I have seen where a flyer for some reason takes the word of the "FIELD" expert over what a manufacturer spent time and money in research and developement to make sure the product will work as advertised.
I guess I have a hard time understanding that principle.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:06 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wear factor is so low with the industrial cylinders and pistons that it may be benificial to use petroleum oil forever. That is, if your using a good air filter, if not then all that dust will keep the rings lapped in and the piston polished clean.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:30 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: synthetic

I hope we never have that much dust in georgia.
Now Pollen is another thing. we have LOTS of pollen
Old 11-24-2005, 12:16 AM
My Feedback: (117)

I have a friend here in Tullahoma that says he has run his Zenoah motors on Wal-Mart 2 cycle oil for years with "no" problems. I'm sure your safe on your motor. Brian
ORIGINAL: caleb

Interesting topic!!!

I just bought my first gas and started it for the first time yesterday. I bought oil from Wal-mart, Supertech was the brand. Is that synthetic or not?? It does not say on the bottle. I also was wondering what octane to use. I have heard regular(87) as well as mid or high grade!! I bought the mid (91) and figured it wound work fine. I don't think my motor is a high compression or high power engine that needs the high octane. Any thoughts from the experienced gas crowd??

Can my engine be saved if The oil I was using was synthetic? I ran it for an hour at 25:1 and that was it. What is the best thing to do next for the engine??? It is a Fuji 32, pretty nice.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 11-24-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wear factor is so low with the industrial cylinders and pistons that it may be benificial to use petroleum oil forever. That is, if your using a good air filter, if not then all that dust will keep the rings lapped in and the piston polished clean.
Likely there is something very unique about using an industrial engine in an airplane that facilitates the conclusion that air filters are not necessary. I don’t buy into the concept.

Bill
Old 11-24-2005, 08:41 AM
My Feedback: (198)

Default RE: which oil

I have to jump in here to join the fray of disinformation. When I purchased a NEW Brison 2.4 from Brison, I called - talked to Gary's DAD (he is THE "warranty repairman" )..... specifically, I wanted to know straight from the manufacturer about the recommendation in the owner's manual to BREAK IN the motor using 80:1 SYNTHETIC oil !!!! I didn't think the manual was right, but after a LONG conversation, it was clear that Brison ***DOES*** support the use of 80:1 Synthetic for Breaking In THEIR motor.

Since I don't believe that was right, but followed the info anyway - when this motor goes south, you can bet I will expect Gary to fully warranty any problem with it.

It doesn't make ANY sense to me to make initial runs on any kind of 2C gasoline engine on a Synthetic oil, no how magical it's properties or "special" formulated it is.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:13 AM

Has anyone ever tried Yamalube for break in, its a Semi-Synthetic oil.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 AM

hello all-- i have some imput on this oil subject--- the available oil for two stroke engines-- penz--quicksilver--johnson--- staylube--,, all say one can use the oil in any 2 stroke engine, air cooled ,or liquid cooled. i find it hard to argue with these oil people. i have not tried synthetic yet--- but the honing marks that was mentioned in another post are there to seat the rings. if one removes the cylinders and cleans etc, the pistons and reassembles the engine without glaze busting the cyl. the rings may never seat. ie, that crosshatch patteren in the cyl. is there for this reason. i realize no input on this subject has not been since 2002. i have personally used quicksilver since 1980, and have had no problems in all sorts of two stroke engines, besides my airplane engines.. blowers--lawn mowers-- chain saws-- and 3 outboard engines. hope this clears up some of the confusion-- and by the way, if you do not provide adequate cooling to the plane engines, you can surely fry them.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: caleb

Interesting topic!!!

Thanks,
Caleb
Relax! You probably didn't ruin anything. The sky will not fall if you don't follow a certain break in regimen exactly or if you don't use a certain exact oil mixture or brand. If it were that critical, the subject would not be so controversial in the first place.
Most opinions of field experts is based on anecdotal results based on a couple of engines and no control to compare the results with. Now if someone took a statistically significant number of identical engines and an equal number of control engines to compare the test engines to, this person I would listen to.
So many other factors other than oil brand can affect the life of an engine.
Coming to a conclusion based on anecdotal results is a little like flipping a coin ten times and saying "there! that proves that the odds aren't 50/50" when it lands heads up six out of ten times.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:50 AM

hi again-- i did not continue the forum to the end. i see there are still current inputs to the oil discussion. i am reasonnably sure that all the two stroke oil on the market now is manufactured by one, maybe two oil companys. any oil that has " tcwII" on the lable ,is safe to use in our industrial engines. including wal mart brand. brian smith- you have not ruined your engine, the 25 to 1 mix may have carboned the piston and behind the rings a bit , but i feel if you switch to 50 to 1, the little amount of carbon will be flushed out, you may see some black deposits on your plane , but they will go away soon. i think the wal mart oil is a blend of synthetic and ashless oil. hope this helps. regards to all jack strickland
Old 11-24-2005, 10:54 AM

hi again sorry did not proff my last post. "tcwII and tcwIII " are both acceptable for use in our gas engines. tcwII was the old number
Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 AM

The crosshatch pattern is on cast iron cylinders...Chrome and Nikasil cylinders are smooth...Crosshatch cylinders lose their crosshatch when the harder rings smooth the walls...Chrome and Nikasil cylinders are the opposite, the softer rings lose their machining marks when they get smooth and seat to the cylinders...
Think about it, if a chrome cylinder had roughness on the walls, the rings would continue to wear in a short time...The chrome plating is almost as hard as a diamond, Nikasil even harder...[8D]
Old 11-24-2005, 11:01 AM
My Feedback: (117)

Thanks Jack
My engines are fine. It was Caleb that was wondring and I'm sure his engine is fine too. . Brian Smith

ORIGINAL: jack1933

hi again-- i did not continue the forum to the end. i see there are still current inputs to the oil discussion. i am reasonnably sure that all the two stroke oil on the market now is manufactured by one, maybe two oil companys. any oil that has " tcwII" on the lable ,is safe to use in our industrial engines. including wal mart brand. brian smith- you have not ruined your engine, the 25 to 1 mix may have carboned the piston and behind the rings a bit , but i feel if you switch to 50 to 1, the little amount of carbon will be flushed out, you may see some black deposits on your plane , but they will go away soon. i think the wal mart oil is a blend of synthetic and ashless oil. hope this helps. regards to all jack strickland
Old 11-24-2005, 11:05 AM

hello aero bob in reply to the fellows at brison re the oil to use, remember it is wise to get info from someone who flys gas engines for a long time. i would personally loke to know the experence some one has on any subject before taking their word for anything. since i have not yet tried synthetic in my engines i have no opinion on the subject. however i know several experenced modlers that are using it with sucess. will prob. try it in the future, but at 50 to 1 , not 80 to 1. that leaves one with little margin for changes in climate ,or needle settings on the high side

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.