Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

50cc engine light and low cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc engine light and low cost ?

I am confused with so many choices.

I want the lowest all up weight ( stand offs, ignition, muffler included).

I want the lowest all up cost.

Please advise![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: 50cc engine light and low cost ?

INstead of retyping a conversation here is a thread that may help

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5887286/tm.htm
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry..but there's really not enough solid information on that link to determine what this man wants to know! There is alot of older and newer 50cc engines out there and alot of jabber about each one. Grab a spreadsheet, research your engines choices and when you get the lightest, cheapest..post it here..I'm sure a gig-billion of us would like the answer.

bobzilla
P.S. Don't forget to include any warranty, service, life expectancy, crash resilitancy, parts availability, tuning abnormalities and of course country of origin..These all play an important part in my book for selecting the engine I WOULD choose!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
My Feedback: (4)

There was a previous post here, guess it got removed...
Old 05-23-2007, 09:54 PM

[link]http://www.rcaerobats.net[/link] you can find info that what you like to know.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:27 PM

bobzilla, well it was a step in the right direction.

Here is the direct link for an overview oh weights and costs... includes most of the top ones outside of 3W and a couple dont waste your time like Fuji

http://www.rcaerobats.net/GAS_ENGINE...ENGINE_WTS.htm
Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Giant 3-D

Don't we all? At least you don't want the most powerful, too... These two are really at odds to one another. There are a number of excellent engines that all weigh within 2-3oz of one another RTF. They do not all perform the same or cost the same and customer service/support can be excellent to non-existent. Significant weight savings on the engine is very difficult and expensive to achieve, since there is a certain amount of material required to be a 50cc single cylinder 2 stroke. Aluminum weighs about 1.56 oz/in^3. That means to save 3oz you must remove 2 cubic inches of aluminum. Hard to do when everybody has already cut things down pretty well. I would shop based on price, performance and support with weight a distant consideration.

Mark
Old 05-23-2007, 11:23 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Giant 3-D,

In my own personal search for light weight and low cost I found the Brillelli and the DL to be about the lightest "all up weights" "posted" on their own sites. Most engine manufactures dont give all up weights. This leads to a lot of confusion. Low cost would go to DL. I won't go into powerful but you can read for yourself about both of these engines here on the verse.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to make a decision between a DL and a Brillelli it would have to go to the least expensive. Both are powerful and reliable. The new BME 50 may beat them both, hard to say.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:35 AM
My Feedback: (63)

Based on what I have read about all the engines..from manufacturers website, and her on RCU..I would
seriously consider the DL50. It seems to have an active forum with a manufactures rep chiming in quite often to address any problems. The prices is quite low considering it is a clone of the DA-50..at almost 1/2 the cost.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:17 AM

I would say just buy a well known "brand" engine with good aftersale service and forget the weight and performance specifikations. Most 50cc engines are comparable in the weight and performance area. The engine manufacturers knows better how much a 50cc engine must weight to be strong enough and perform well.

bobzilla
P.S. Don't forget to include any warranty, service, life expectancy, crash resilitancy, parts availability, tuning abnormalities and of course country of origin..These all play an important part in my book for selecting the engine I WOULD choose!
I agree with that [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let's see- from Utah and confused -- looking for perfection at lowest price
yep - he is definately from Utah---
Old 05-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

If it was not for the fact that he is confused as well, he would be right at home with several folks here who have that very same hang up

Karol
Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 AM
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I second this post. Power can easily offset a few extra onces and then some. Of course, engines like the Fugi are just heavy and below average in power and to be avoided IMO.
ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Don't we all? At least you don't want the most powerful, too... These two are really at odds to one another. There are a number of excellent engines that all weigh within 2-3oz of one another RTF. They do not all perform the same or cost the same and customer service/support can be excellent to non-existent. Significant weight savings on the engine is very difficult and expensive to achieve, since there is a certain amount of material required to be a 50cc single cylinder 2 stroke. Aluminum weighs about 1.56 oz/in^3. That means to save 3oz you must remove 2 cubic inches of aluminum. Hard to do when everybody has already cut things down pretty well. I would shop based on price, performance and support with weight a distant consideration.

Mark
Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 AM
My Feedback: (57)

Yesterday, I ran my new TOC/3MM 53cc. Although it is brand new, this thing runs great. It starts easily, and spins a 22x8 MSC prop (very wide blade) almost 7000 rpm. IMHO, for a $400 engine, it can't be beat.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:33 AM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Giant 3-D,

You might be in luck to get exactly what you asked for, as BME seems to have heard your prayers and answered them with the offering of their new 50cc engine.

Karol
Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
My Feedback: (2)

My DL-50 turned a 22x10 at 6900 the first tank of gas and has been getting better ever since. starts easy everyday runs great tones of power all and all and amazing engine that cant be beat for the price $370 shipped to your door should be crime. I'm going to be getting a second once i get back from AIT
www.dlusa.net
Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Thats great in a monkey see monkey do sort of way.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:34 PM

All these new cheap engines are great... it would be nice to see them with 20-30 gallons through them. Most them are lucky to have 2 or 3 gallons through them so far.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:32 PM
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: sinergy

All these new cheap engines are great... it would be nice to see them with 20-30 gallons through them. Most them are lucky to have 2 or 3 gallons through them so far.
We have 126hrs flying time on the DL50 that's in the DLUSA H9 "262" and it's still a screamer, starts first flip when warm, flies extremely reliably, turns a 22X8 at over 7200rpm, and has never failed to put a smile on my face. During this time, the plane has been crashed twice and had 3 prop strikes (never once a fault of the engine). The original stand offs (old style) and every original engine part is still in the plane including even the no name spark plug. I wish I could say the same for the landing gear, etc. It will continue to be hammered until either it dies or I do.

Bob
www.dlusa.net
Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 AM

You wont find that combination. I always tell people; good, light, cheap, pick two.

This is really true. It costs money to make an engine that is light, powerful, and reliable. It requires better more expensive materials and/or much more complex manufacturing to reduce weight while not losing strength in critical areas and retaining a design that will yield excellent power.

If you want it cheap, you will have to yield on either quality or power.

The best compromises IMHO are the 3mm 53 or the DL-50. From what I read here these are the best bang for the buck that will give the best combination of power/weight/quality.

TF
Old 05-26-2007, 09:06 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep -clean mind or clean body -
take yer choice.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:33 AM
My Feedback: (85)

ORIGINAL: rctom

You wont find that combination. I always tell people; good, light, cheap, pick two.

This is really true. It costs money to make an engine that is light, powerful, and reliable. It requires better more expensive materials and/or much more complex manufacturing to reduce weight while not losing strength in critical areas and retaining a design that will yield excellent power.

If you want it cheap, you will have to yield on either quality or power.

The best compromises IMHO are the 3mm 53 or the DL-50. From what I read here these are the best bang for the buck that will give the best combination of power/weight/quality.

TF

What's your definition of quality???.....Having owned both a DA50 and a DL50 there isn't one difference in power or longevity---Oh, wait...My DA50 needed updates to keep from dead sticking at idle and needed a connecting rod update to keep from blowing up---The slop in the conrod was so bad that you could almost turn the prop a 1/8 turn before hearing the "click" of the rod...And the engine still burbles in the midrange...

In my opinion the only edge that the DA50 has over the DL50 is that the DA engines are very pretty to look at....All of that pretty "bling" won't make the DA50 last any longer....Or spin a prop faster...Just makes it more expensive to repair....

Bob's testament to the longevity of the DL50 (126 hours) shows that the DL50 can be a friend for life for some as I know very few guys that fly this much....If I'm not mistaken all of the hours have been accumulated in well less than a years time...Yes, the DL50 had a few teething problems. These have been addressed by the factory by very eager to please individuals....

Bottom line is that for me, quality is how well an engine runs and longevity---Not an engine that will win a beauty contest with all of its machined parts...

Kevin
Old 05-26-2007, 06:26 PM
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been waiting for just such an evaluation of this DA 50 knock off. Thank you for the post. It looks as if I will be trying one in the future.
ORIGINAL: bobkra

ORIGINAL: sinergy

We have 126hrs flying time on the DL50 that's in the DLUSA H9 "262" and it's still a screamer, starts first flip when warm, flies extremely reliably, turns a 22X8 at over 7200rpm, and has never failed to put a smile on my face. During this time, the plane has been crashed twice and had 3 prop strikes (never once a fault of the engine). The original stand offs (old style) and every original engine part is still in the plane including even the no name spark plug. I wish I could say the same for the landing gear, etc. It will continue to be hammered until either it dies or I do.

Bob
www.dlusa.net
Old 05-26-2007, 09:52 PM

How about the PEAK 65cc for $300. I Know it's 65cc but $300 cannot be beat. I have one in my 85" Extra 260. I didn't think my plane would sit at idle but it idled great at 1900 -2100 rpm. Go with a PEAK 65cc

John Franklin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.