Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Another electronic ign question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another electronic ign question

Can I run a RCS or Falkon ignition with a 14mm plug if I change the boot? In other words can I put this on my 33cc homelite?
Thanks!!

POWER
Old 03-26-2003, 10:43 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I emailed RCS about buying the Falkon ignition and never got a response. I did this because some else posted they sell them for about $90. I may just call them to see what they say. I'm sure if you change the boot it will be fine.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:36 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Don't run it without using a ground to the engine from the braided shield on the plug wire....
Old 03-26-2003, 11:46 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could -I am sure convert to the small plug --BUT- what about ignition warrenty?
This is a great ignition and if you really are ready to do this -- here is what I would do :
make sure you use a magnet just like th one ZDZ uses (polarity and diameter!)
mount for about 6 degrees advance -
make a new lower "cup" for the stock Falkon cap -which will allow you use wiring as is -
the lower cap could be a ring which is solidly set screwed to the plug -you will have to figure this out for yourself -but brass should work. or mild, machinable steel
depending on the clearance for th plug in th head fins - this should work.
I use and setup many ZDZ engines -we test run and setup pipe setups on the bench and also have this ignition in all of our planes (with the ZDZengines.
The new Falkons have - for me- or any of my friends using them)never failed - the older ones were not good but these are excellent in my opinion and are priced very reasonably.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:01 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default Plug boot

Maybe you need to recheck your dial caliper.The ZDZ engines use a 14mm plug.
Its a shortie but still a 14mm thread.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:21 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there I go Terry- speed reading again -
was thinking of mini plugs --
Old 03-27-2003, 03:46 AM

Default boot plug

The ignition I have is the RCS 140 10mm, I just assumed the ZDZ Falkon was the same Thank's for the info. Hey, can I just make an adapter to go from 14mm to 10mm or will the reach be to short? Honestly, I just want to see for myself how these engines behave with electronic ign all I have ever owned is magneto. I have this used RCS 140 I have never ran and I was just wondering ifThe ignition would power one of my conversions so I could get my feet wet. Thank's again!!!

POWER
Old 03-27-2003, 03:51 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Default RCS 140 ignition

I'm not absolutely certain about this, but I think the RCS 140 ignition has the HV coil incorporated in the plug cap. That is, I don't think the HV coil is in the ignition box. If you remove (change) the plug cap I think you also remove the HV coil.

I have one of these engines with the RCS ignition and have looked over the module. I don't remember seeing the coil on the board. The plug cap appears to have an enclosed coil at the rear of the cap.

I would double check with RCS before attempting to change the cap just to make sure it is OK to do so.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:13 AM

I opened up the RCS ignition box to replace the HV shielding over the ignition wire on a used RCS 140 I purchased earlier this month. The shielding had been ripped in half by an errant propeller, but the wire itself looked good. That was great since the ignition wire is not removable from the coil that I could tell without destructive testing.

The coil is part of the ignition box. The plug cap is a standard screw-on type shielded cap. The ground wire and HV shielding are crimped to the cap with a metal tube. I unsoldered the 2 wires holding the HV shield to the PCB, removed the crimp, cap and old HV shield. Installed the new HV shield, and used some heat shrink over the wire and under the HV shield where I would be resoldering the wires to the pcb. Used a piece of brass tubing to recrimp the shield and ground wire to the plug cap and then soldered them together. Heat shrinked the whole thing - looks just like the original now and works great!

So I pretty much have to believe you could just remove the 10mm cap, and replace with a Bosch shielded cap for the 14mm plugs since they are both "screw-on" type caps. You would have to shorten the wire an inch or so to get the extra HV shielding to be soldered to the Bosch cap. Since the Bosch cap has a worm clamp to pull it tight to the plug, you wouldn't need the "ground wire" that is currently used with the RCS 140 ignition.

Lynn