Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

first gas engine so I will bite why is the ignition off? I will try this procedure all I was doing was minimal throttle choke closed and flip til the cows come home

rkliemann
Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're typically flipping a gasser over by hand - you don't want it to start until you're ready. It's pretty easy for Mr Prop to come around and Meet Mr Hand
Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When all else fails, say hello to Mr Electric starter !!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM

Heretic!

You probably put ketchup on hot dogs too..
Old 03-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually loose burger with chili is the best, a hot dog with Ketchup will do in a pinch!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: OldFart1

Heretic!

You probably put ketchup on hot dogs too..
i used to go mustard and ketchup now for about 6 years i go mustard only. and i dont like ketchup anymore. in fact i like tartar sauce with my fries now.

goirish,

i need to go with 4 inch standoffs for balancing and clearence of the muffler and carb on my sukhoi that has a rounded cowl and will fit the 62cc engine with little cutting to the bottom of the cowl only for the engine head and spark plug wire cap and muffler downtubes. the pitts allows for more room on the side of the head but takes up more room behind the head as you can see in the photo's. the standoffs supplied dont clear the carb or the muffler either. for the carb with the supplied standoffs i would have to cut a hole in the firewall. using 4 inch standoffs more than clears the carb and muffler on my 62cc. as for a 20cc i don't know and for whatever plane you are implanting that engine in.

the bolt pattern for the 20cc is probably to narrow for the 62cc pitts to mount correctly.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:11 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Fiber look on page 97 at flaminheli Picks and you will see what I'm talking about when I say to keep the alum. flange from pulling into the lug on the engine. I hope this will keep you from future problems with exhaust muffler.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 PM

OldFart1 Man thats cold
Old 03-24-2009, 05:16 PM

LOL
Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 PM

sassy8's bolts didn't pull through the flange. the flange was still attached to the engine the muffler came apart from the flange at the welds. flaminheli is going to put a spacer between his mufflers flange and the engine itself.

that won't keep the flange from coming apart from the welds on the muffler.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM

wont matter because im not going to use the stock muffler. the jtec muffler has the bolt tubes between the bolts and the engine. the bolts dont go inside of the bolt tubes on the jtec.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 PM

Has anybody actual built a pitt style muffler for the rcgf 45cc thats in production now? Ordered one from jtech two weeks ago, now i just found out it could be towards the end of april before its shipped....I need one now!!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 PM

since henry doesn't have them yet then go without a muffler til jtec gets it in??? maybe you can use a header and homemade pipe for now just to devert the exhaust?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM

would slimline have one that would fit???
Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Tym get one from cheif aircraft for Zenoa G62 I have one and it also has the support arm but you will have to modify it for the 45 like I did.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM

how about this zenoah g45 slimline muffler???

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...enoah.html#g45
Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 PM

I do'nt know about the 45 but the G62 bolts right up and is good guailty you just have to bend the support mt a little shorter and drill a new bolt hole in it. I am going to try and see if I can post pictures of my set up. Never done any picks on line before so who knows. Later
Old 03-24-2009, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: rkliemann

I have the 20cc and I just gave first try start and I cannot seem to get fuel to the carb. everything is set up good and it will not draw fuel from the tank or any other way that I try looking for help engine is brand new

thanks
rkliemann
Exactly the same thing happened to me. What I did was disconnect the fuel line at the carb and draw the fuel all the way to the carb, then squirted some fuel into the carb with throttle fully open, then close the throttle half way before flipping. It should start.

Another thing I can think of is pressurize the tank by about one atmosphere after you draw the fuel to the carb, and with the spark plug removed (a lot easier to flip that way), flip the prop till you smell the gas. Then you install the sparkplug and ignition.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 PM

I actually did the 2nd paragraph recommendation first. I was able to smell the gas (faintly), but engine still didn't start.

I was afraid the spark was too weak. At that point, I squirted fuel into the carb out of despair and flipped. Then the engine started a few turns, then stopped. I did it again. This time it worked.

I must have flipped the prop about 100 times that day, maybe 50, anyway countless. My shoulder was sore for a few days after that. Now I know better.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM

You're typically flipping a gasser over by hand - you don't want it to start until you're ready. It's pretty easy for Mr Prop to come around and Meet Mr Hand
It's a little different subject, but I found my 26cc gasser has much less "bite" (I don't feel any bite) than my glow .90. I attribute it to the electronic ignition. Of course I flip as fast as I can. I'm thinking of measuring the delay of the spark from the trailing edge of the timing pulse, although now it's a low priority since I don't have an immediate problem.

btw, after about one litre of break-in, I set the timing to 28 degrees BTC, I tach'd 8700 rpm with MAS S-2 16x8. That seems to be par with G26EI and much stronger than other Chinese imports as far as I can tell from other threads.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: TestPilot6

I have the 20cc and I just gave first try start and I cannot seem to get fuel to the carb. everything is set up good and it will not draw fuel from the tank or any other way that I try looking for help engine is brand new

thanks
rkliemann
Exactly the same thing happened to me. What I did was disconnect the fuel line at the carb and draw the fuel all the way to the carb, then squirted some fuel into the carb with throttle fully open, then close the throttle half way before flipping. It should start.

Another thing I can think of is pressurize the tank by about one atmosphere after you draw the fuel to the carb, and with the spark plug removed (a lot easier to flip that way), flip the prop till you smell the gas. Then you install the sparkplug and ignition.

Hopefully that gets better. I can't think of anyone that would want to do all of that at the field before the first flight of the day everyday they go to the field.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: TestPilot6

It's a little different subject, but I found my 26cc gasser has much less "bite" (I don't feel any bite) than my glow .90. I attribute it to the electronic ignition. Of course I flip as fast as I can. I'm thinking of measuring the delay of the spark from the trailing edge of the timing pulse, although now it's a low priority since I don't have an immediate problem.
To be honest - I've been "bit"by most of them - and the only plane I live in fear of is my electric 1/12 Corsair. That 12x8E went clean down to the tendons on my forearm.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 PM

thanks to all for your help. Engine finally fired up and ran great. Flipped many times and I am sure hoping now that the carb has some fuel to it, it will start easier at the field I did finally get tired and took the suggestion of using my electric starter from my glow engine

thanks again
rkliemann
Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 PM
My Feedback: (4)

thanks to all for your help. Engine finally fired up and ran great. Flipped many times and I am sure hoping now that the carb has some fuel to it, it will start easier at the field I did finally get tired and took the suggestion of using my electric starter from my glow engine

thanks again
rkliemann
yeah, that first start on a gasser can be hard if its your first one. I got mine choked up and primed pretty good and flipped it a few times and it started right up. (learned my lesson from my first one). After that first run you should be good to go, If you let it sit for a while at the field you might have to choke it a couple of flips but thats it.

T.J.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

To all,
I have chosen to put the 26cc in the seagull 120 spacewalker but, before I buy everything I noticed that I would probably have to cut a pretty good hole in the firewall in order to mount the engine in accordance with the manual. ( Prop hub to firewall dimension). Is this not a good idea or will this be no big deal? Will I have to worry about getting fuel all over in the plane? It should only be a little over an inch behind the firewall. I dont know if this would cause problems letting air get to the carb. and if I have to cut a biger hole will it be detramental to the firewalls integrity. Thanks in advance.
Stangevil29

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.