Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-20 or 21

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:29 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saito FG-20 or 21

ORIGINAL: kochj
If you are having unresolved issues, you can always place the 1.25 glow carb on it, run nitro in the engine with the ignition system and spark plug inplace...
That has to be the funniest and most STUPID statement yet............let's take a$500 gas engine andjust run nitro in it.

I'm sorry in advance, I'm agitated and tired.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: kochj

I believe my FG-36 said the same about the 20-1 and then go to 30-1 with full syn...I have talked about this on the fg-36 post...(sorry if it is a repeat)
I believe that the gas version of the 220 has a brass sleeve where it meets the crank pin...

I have said this before....
If you guys are having issues with you engine ALWAYS make sure your ignition battery is full charged...
I would use the 7.4 LIPO.....
The saito 1.25 is a wonderfull engine...( I am runningin mine right now)This fg-20 is that engine with a ignition on it...I am sure you all know that....
I looked at the carb for the glow engine it would go right on this engine....
If you are having unresolved issues, you can always place the 1.25 glow carb on it, run nitro in the engine with the ignition system and spark plug inplace...

For those with tight cowling, couldn't you place a large computer fan in the cowl and have it blow over the fins?
Too bad there isn't a after market kit that had fins that clamped on to the current ones...( great product right there for you inventors...)
Wait, I am a inventor/??
The Saito FG-20 intake manifold is smaller in diameter than the Saito 125 intake manifold. The Saito FG-20 has a higher compression than the Saito 125. The screws that hold the carb onto the FG-20 are a size smaller in diameter than the ones that hold the carb on the Saito 125.

The Saito FG-36 has a forged steel connecting rod with bronze busings in the ends whereas all other Saito engines have forged aluminum connecting rods and most of them have no bushings.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM

Dear oh dear....!![]

Well after getting my Fg20 back from horizon..with the replaced dci unit & little else i have had four 18+ flight with it & itwas running really well.
Today i very nearly lost my Cmpro 70" Razorback....due to a dead-stick, anyways i got it down & all was well!!.
The engine however had blown the head gasket!!!..last night i had removed the cowl to check everything & reset the valve clearances...no oil residue was evident around the head to warn etc , also the factory line marks down the cyl head bolts were all lined up etc...
Yeah & was running on a slightly richer side anyway...
I'm now off back into my hanger to remove this & send it back tomorrow....i want either a cash refund or engine swap for equivalent.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM

You need to take a closer look?

The FG-20 has a complete cylinder with no separate head.

Is it leaking around the base of the cylinder

Around the spark plug

from under the valve cover
Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Its the lower crankcase/barrel gasket...now i can see more clearly nowthe engine isremoved...the paper gasket is blown & protuding from the sides of the barrel/to block...4-bolt fixing.
Good job i was expecting a possible deadstick & flying high & simple circuits...even tried a little invert flying with the o'l Jug....scary...
Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM

Make sure that the crankcase vent nipple in the back plate has the hole fully open. It should be at least 2 mm diameter hole. If you have a tube attached, it must be open to the atmosphere with no kinks.

I would also check that the four bolts that hold the cylinder are tight befor you run it again. You could loosen it and stuff the gasket back in the slot and then retighten? The glow version of this engine has no gasket there.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:16 PM

Hey, yes...the crankcase breather is clear, as is the leak-off pipe...its all neatly directed down to the bottom of the cowl with a hole to protude...
From time to time i turn the plane upside down & squirt fully synthetic oil down there to give the bottom end lubrication etc.
Btw...because the missfire reared its head again ...& with this problem...i'm not going to strip it down...i'll send it back & if possible swop for a saito 125.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:36 PM

I have three 125's and they are certainly nice engines
Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 PM

I have two....one in the H9 Bluenose & one in my Sea fury....i cannot fault them in any way!!...how do they make this engine so light!!...incredible.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM

Just dissmantled the engine....& in the true form of modelling i'm going to persevere & make my own gasket..all engine internals are pristine & no sign of any issues wear etc.
I have a sheet of gasket paper to fabricate one when i get home later....i'll lube the bigend with Graphogen/ grahphite grease.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Ok, just finished for the eve...everythings back together & I have left the cowl off.....as i will fuel it & run it up in my back garden..when i get home from work tomorrow.
I took extra care with the dci & improved its fitting...nothing is touching anything & resting against rubber insulating pads etc.
As i'm going for a stationary tune...i have fit a 15"6 prop & will take it easy..& give the required breaks for cooling.
Shortly i'm going to look into a better dci unit & new plug.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 PM

CH Ignitions sells a nice one for this engine with the sensor bracket and everything
Old 04-26-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks for that, & yes i hear many people here praise the aformentioned item, hmm...do you have a link?.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 PM

here's the link but you will have to talk with Terry as it is not on the site

http://www.ch-ignitions.com/

<font><font face="Futura Md BT">
Call 307 857 6897. Telephone hours are 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Mountain Time, Monday through Friday</font></font>
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM

Ok just nipped home for my dinner...&amp; decided to run up the razorback...couple of light tweaks on the bottom end, i.e lean off &amp; a little 3 clicks in on the top end...after 30 secs the transition from low to high was smooth &amp; glitch free!!...here's hoping!.
Hey i'm starting to sound like a horizon techie!.
Tomorrow when i finish work...i'll take it straight to the airfield for a test fly.
Tonight i'll make more holes in the cowl &amp; air deflectors to direct airflow onto the cylinder head .
Btw a superior RCexl ignition unit is on its way to me ...along with two cheap chinese spark plugs!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 PM
My Feedback: (6)

W8ye,why do you buy so much junk,it seems like most the stuff you have is a bunch of boring slow stuff that an 80 year old man in diapers would fall a sleep if you handed him the controls?I guess I get it though because anyone with enough time to sit on here as a moderater on a page with the biggest junk engine ever made must just like to center himself around junk 24-7.Hey good luck with all your junk,Maybe you can start your own junkyard!You can start with your FG-20's and add all your high wing planes and your Atari 2600!Way to go I will call you JYD for now on.JUNKYARD DOG IS IN THE HISSLE!lATER JYD,JYD!!!!!!!</p>
Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Yakman2910

W8ye,why do you buy so much junk,it seems like most the stuff you have is a bunch of boring slow stuff that an 80 year old man in diapers would fall a sleep if you handed him the controls?I guess I get it though because anyone with enough time to sit on here as a moderater on a page with the biggest junk engine ever made must just like to center himself around junk 24-7.Hey good luck with all your junk,Maybe you can start your own junkyard!You can start with your FG-20's and add all your high wing planes and your Atari 2600!Way to go I will call you JYD for now on.JUNKYARD DOG IS IN THE HISSLE!lATER JYD,JYD!!!!!!!</p>
Really dude? Really?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:57 PM
My Feedback: (6)

OK, Well this is the first time I will have something really positive to say about this motor. I have spent over a year trying to get this thing to run good, many returns to Horizon, replaced parts myself. I decided to change my ignition battery today to a Duralite 1100Mah A123 which runs at 6 volts. I had 4 flights and it didn't cough, hickup or burble at all. Good transition and reliable at all setting. It is still sensitive to adjust and doesn't produce as much power as it's glow counterpart but it was fine. It has to be the ignition just needs more juice. To anyone having trouble, try a better ignition battery, worked for me.

R/C Foolish
Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 PM
My Feedback: (36)

GLAD YOU GOT IT RUNNING RIGHT.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a 2s lipo for about 8 hours now without any problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Hey....I'm using a 2cell lipo also 7.2v @ 2300mah with a 6v reg, just received &amp; fit my RC exl ignition....&amp; now I'm waiting for my alloy H9 engine mount, should be this week!.
Also fit a new chinese equivalent spark plug, days ago i stripped/checked the engine &amp; replaced the lower crankcase gasket.
Valve clearances reset &amp; a light EX de-carbonise &amp; now have superb compression.</p>
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Sounding good
Old 05-12-2010, 02:10 AM
OAK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My FG-20 has about 5-6 hours runtime now. Pulling about 8800rpm with a APC 16x6. I am happy with it in most ways as it is easy to start, transition is good, and power is good. As someone mentioned it is very sensitive on the needles though. One or two clicks can really be the difference between a smooth or terrible running engine. But that is not a problem really.

But there is one thing that I find slightly annoying. The idle is not stable. At idle the rpm periodically varies from very slow (nearly stopping) and then it catches back up and revs up to much higher rpm (have not measured it, but high enough that the plane tend to want to roll on the grass sometimes), and this rpm varying cycle is continous with maybe 10-15 seconds cycle time. I have a good quality servo and have watched the throttle linkage and that is perfectly stable.

Anyone ideas on possible causes for this?

Regards
OAK
Old 05-12-2010, 04:33 AM

There's one guy that contends this is caused by a air bubble in the pump
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Ok i got my motor back from horizan for the fourth time , i asked for a replacement or refund no dice they would not even discuss it with me. the report i got back with the motor is a joke two pages long they changed the carb third one now!! they tried to tune it replaced the plug twice, took the motor apart lapped the valves told me i was running the wrong oil. ya right thats why it wont run. i went to the field sat and Sunday first i had to tune it just so it would idle they said it ran great, what a joke i tuned for 10 hours never would run right tuned a click at a time.changed several $22 plugs ran rich then lean several dead sticks the last one ended with the engine tearing out the fire wall, thanks horizan appreciate that. i fixed the fire wall and Sunday afternoon i finally got it purring perfect idle super low then instant acceleration to 8800 rpm with a 16-8 could probally go to 16-10 no hesitation heres what i did, this is not a joke !! pulled out the ignition module and crank sensor and battery pulled out the spark plug and installed a glow plug filled tank with nitro 20/20 i ran the vent tube to the muffler opened the low speed two extra turns and the hi speed two or so extra turns , started right away and sounds perfect.this shows me that this carb is for a glow engine ,i will run it this way till it explodes or keeps running ,i have no more interest in working with horizan from now on, i give up horizan you win you just lost a good customer and i will never give saito my hard earned money again, there are plenty of other good companys who make gas motors out there. i thank all of you who tried to help me and continue to help others,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.