Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Clunk/pickup line question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 01:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk/pickup line question

In a glow engine the flexibilty of silicone tubing allows the clunk to "flop" around in the tank. I am setting up my first gasser, and the tygon (F-4040-A) is so stiff that the clunk only move's around the rear of the tank, and never flops foward. What's the story? It seems it would suck a big air bubble into the carb line. I plan on using a felt clunk on the pickup line. I had a piece of Saint Gobain flexible tygon, (P-1000) very flexible until I soaked a piece in some Gas overnight. Then it became stiff and discolored. I got it off a gas fueling system so I thought(thats what I get for thinking)it would be ok.How are you guys setting up your tanks?I was planning a three line system,fill/drain,vent,and the pickup.The pickup line is the only thing I'm worried about.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't want the clunk to go forward, as long as it is going up/down and side to side at the rear of the tank, you will be fine.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:14 PM

OK, the clunk moves around the rear of the tank. I'll set it up with the tygon line and see what happens!
Old 07-19-2003, 05:02 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default What about line size?

I was getting ready to post a new thread and saw this post and it answered one of my questions. My other question is concerning line size. I'm setting up a 30% Edge with a 3W75. Do I need large inner diameter tubing? I set the tank up with it's supplied hardware (medium tubing) and ran same size line to the carb. Will this provide enough fuel?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2003, 08:58 PM

Get some of the black neophrene tubing for the clunk. Much more flex than the tygon. I believe the larger line is only needed if the tank hardware is of the larger size.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:49 AM

If the clunk ever moves forward in the tank it will stick forward. Guaranteed dead stick. In fact if you ever have a hard nose over type landing always check the clunk to make sure it is not stuck forward before the next flight.
Ed M.