Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

New to giant scale

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to giant scale

<div>Hey Guy's,</div><div></div><div>Ireally want to get into giant scale planes. Are there any good book on it. I know there's a lot more to them then the.46 size planes I've been flying. Thanks

Tim</div>
Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 AM

Default RE: New to giant scale

Hi Tim...I dont know about any books...I followed Magazine articles...theres a wee bit more when flying bigger planes....they fly better...well to me they do and I can see them so much better...its more like flying on the wing...

back in the early 80's I flew large then 1/5th scale...had a Platt BF 109 witha then new Moki 1.5 swinging a cut down 18/8 to 17"...man that engine made some RPM's and pulled ...theplane weighed in at 16 lbs with all the gear and 32oz of fuel which only allowed 8 minutes tops at fullthrottle...I remember flying it at an air show at the Thorn Creek R/C club'sfield out in Lansing...someone yelled out as a camedown for a low pass if ithad a small block chevy in it....what a rush...justhad to watch the air speed on landings and takeoffs more than small birds being much more heavy...of course more wing and lighter wing loadings...

funny part about wing loadings is that some planes and depending on how much washout was incorporated into the wing build fly well with heavy loads...I also at that time had a 1/6th scale Platt WACO bipe with the first generation 4 cycle engine by OS which was a .60...a 16/6 prop was used turning if I remember right about 6800rpms...this was a good example about flying on the wing...that engine barely made .6 hp...I had to use most of the field being grass for excelleration to rotate...just a slight up on the elevator after the tail was flying and very carefully bringing in more as the airspeed came up...the plane was heavy at over 12lbs...should have been 8 lbs but I put a heavy finish on it...

I also had a 1/5th scale L-19 Bird dog that I flew in 4 stroke competition....that one I used an Enya .90 4 stroke swinging a 16/6...talk about realism...that was a big plane for a tiny engine...they didnt have the 1.20's or 1.50's they have today with over 3 times the power...I remember well about the competition at the Hamelton Hawks field near cincinatti,Ohio back in 84 being known as the 4 stroke rally sponsered by World Engines...I would taxi out down to the apron and do a 180 and sit for a second...the announcer came on the PA...L19 Birdog to tower...I gave a little power and started rolling as the speed picked up more power...got the tail flying...more power on the rudder compensating for prop torque and holding true...more power..more up elevator...now we broke ground...floored it and pulled more elevator and with a nice scale like pullout I gave her a bank and circled climbing just a bit more so i was at a safe altitude and everyone can see without straining...

cameback that next year and cleaned them out with prizes...

anyways thats my take......Jeff
Old 06-23-2009, 07:11 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Don's Hobby Shop http://www.donshobbyshop.com/ under the "Gemstone Books"button. His book "<u>Gas Engines &amp;Giant Planes</u>" is full of great info.

Also, available through Model Airplane News is their book "<u>Radio COntrolGiant Scale</u>" https://secure.rcstore.com/pcd/eServ...aVN1YlRlcm09MA== Pretty much a compilation of various magazine aricles, but it's also got a lot of good info.

Either, or both, books should prove very useful to you Good luck!!

Barry

Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Timber29 , Giant scale information is plentiful here on RCU and it is yours for the asking . I would search for threads that might exist on each subject you are interested in . If you cant find a thread on the subject start one . I am sure you will enjoy giant scale , most pilots that move up to giant scale find the flying is in fact easier and the scale aspect is much more rewarding . The learning curve can be steep but it is worth it .

Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Thank you guys for your help. This is really new to me even though I've been flying on and off since 82 but nothing much bigger than .46 size, and four channel. I will look into those books and search threw the forums and I'm sure I'll be asking tons of questions here. Thanks again
Old 07-05-2009, 02:43 PM

I had a piper cub with a 72" wing and a friend of mine had a 1/4 scale cub which had a 108" wing, and I thought his was easier to fly than mine. Flew alot more scale like. As smokinwoody said their also alot easier to see.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: bhall01

Check out Don's Hobby Shop http://www.donshobbyshop.com/ under the ''Gemstone Books'' button. His book ''<u>Gas Engines & Giant Planes</u>'' is full of great info.

Also, available through Model Airplane News is their book ''<u>Radio COntrol Giant Scale</u>'' https://secure.rcstore.com/pcd/eServ...aVN1YlRlcm09MA== Pretty much a compilation of various magazine aricles, but it's also got a lot of good info.

Either, or both, books should prove very useful to you Good luck!!

Barry

Yeah I 2nd that on the Don's Hobby shop book....I got back into rc, and into large scale the past 3 years and that book helped quite a bit....I may check out the other you mentioned now for the heck of it.. the web is great but a lot of sifting through for info and sometimes guessing what is good vs bad info from who knows who...

M
Old 07-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the things I like about the larger planes is that I think they are overall easier to handle in every respect. They last longer as the fuel does not effect them as much. The radio is also easier to install.
Just to help you out a little quickly, Learn about the engines and fuel systems. They are different and easier once learned, but can be a little bit of a pain if you just dive in without doing some research. Especially the fuel tanks. They can leak if not assembled properly and I only use screw on cap tanks, like Bennett built, but now I just buy Nalgene bottles from the internet now and make my own. Gas does not like stopper tanks! Especially the gas with all of the ethanol.
The other area is to research your servo needs. More torque. Use a lot of RX battery and run 2 of these with 2 switches. Very important to have enough battery.
Good luck and enjoy. So what are you building?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm looking to buy Aeroworks 50cc Extra 300. I like that's it's QB and in few day's it can be flight ready. But more than likely it's going to take me several weeks by time I buy everything, giant scale comes with a giant price tag. I did a rough price, the wife saw it and started to hyperventilate lol

Tim