RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Old Saito .90 twin timing problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/6532692-old-saito-90-twin-timing-problem.html)

aps f4u 10-24-2007 12:33 PM

Old Saito .90 twin timing problem

I have a Old Saito .90 flat twin, and I have seem to have missplaced the manual and need reference for the cam timing marks. I went to Horizon Hobbies and pulled up the manual for the the Saito flat twin .90 but it is for the newer version and is different. Can some one out there please be of any assistance? Thanks.

a

w8ye 10-24-2007 03:48 PM

RE: Old Saito .90 twin timing problem

Instructions for the 90T and 100T There is a newer 90TS that is made completely different and this does not apply

Stand behind the engine and put the right cylinder at top dead center.

Take the right cam with the dot facing 9:00 towards the crankshaft and fasten it to the engine

With the right cylinder still at top dead center . . . .

Take the left cam with the dot facing 3:00 towards the crankshaft and fasten it to the engine.

aps f4u 10-24-2007 03:58 PM

Thanks w8ye, I appreciate it!

a

w8ye 10-24-2007 04:33 PM

Double check yourself by putting the right cylinder at top dead center but not on the compression stroke. Then look at the right hand valves. They both should be open about the same amount but one is opening and one is closing

Do the left cylinder by getting it on top dead center but not on the compression stroke. Then look at the left hand valves. They both should be open about the same amount but one is opening and one is closing

If the left cylinder is 90 degrees off from this, get back on here?

aps f4u 10-29-2007 06:25 PM

One other question, the crank has a set screw in it that I can see when the right bank piston is at TDC, is this were it needs to be when lining the cam gear dot up on the crank @ the 9:00 position?

w8ye 10-29-2007 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Apparently you are seeing a roll pin on the crank. This aligns radially with the crank shaft pin where the rods attach.

The roll pin or some people cal it a spring pin is to locate the pinion gear on the crankshaft. This pinion gear drives the camshafts. There is a notch in one end of the pinion gear that will fit over the spring pin on the crankshaft. If look carefully at the pinion gear picture, you can see the notch on the inside?

In front of this pinion gear, there belongs a bushing spacer that fits between the front bearing and the pinion gear to hold the pinion against the rear bearing shoulder on the crank shaft as well as on the pin.

w8ye 10-29-2007 08:25 PM

Here's a cut away picture of a Saito 56 that shows the spring pin sticking through the notch in the pinion gear with the retainer bushing in the front. This is the way the 90T is assembled. http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga...4/lg-87938.jpg

aps f4u 10-29-2007 08:41 PM

Well, I just got it put back together and now to run it and see how it performs, all seems to be correct. I thank you for all you have helped me with.
Thanks again:D

a

usna71 10-31-2007 03:18 PM

Email me and I'll send you a copy of the instruction sheet

usna71 10-31-2007 09:37 PM

I'm looking at a set of instructions right now. It says "When facing engine" do the right cylinder first. Not standing "behind the engine. What you wrote is exactly backwards of what the instructions say.

If apsf4u wants a copy of the instructions email me.

w8ye 10-31-2007 10:04 PM

This is copied from the manual[hr]

a. Viewing the engine from the rear
and looking forward, adjust the cam
timing beginning with the right
cylinder.

b. Position the cam gear timing mark
(dot) at the 9 o’clock position
(directly into the crankcase) with the
right piston at top dead center. Secure
the right cam gear housing in place.

usna71 10-31-2007 10:51 PM

funny, the instructions I'm holding in my hot little hand say," When facing engine, time the right cam gear first as follow": Crank Throw at right cylinder top dead center...and then it goes on to tell how to do it. I'd enclose a picture but I don't know how. I've been timing these engines both the original FA80T and the FA90T ever since I bought the first ones in 1981. I have 3 of the 80's and two 90's. Again if he wants the instruction sheet, I'll send him a copy.

usna71 10-31-2007 10:53 PM

can someone tell me how to add a picture? I ain't real good at this computer stuff.

aps f4u 11-01-2007 07:43 AM

go to "reply" not the fast reply then at the bottom there will be an " upload images " link and thats how you get your pic's on here:D

Flyboy Dave 11-01-2007 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: usna71

can someone tell me how to add a picture? I ain't real good at this computer stuff.
....oh, come on Bruce....I've seen you post pictures before. :eek:

Kmot 11-01-2007 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

ORIGINAL: usna71

....oh, come on Bruce....I've seen you post pictures before. :eek:
ROFLMBO! I was thinking the same thing FBD, laughbud reincarnated. :D

w8ye 11-01-2007 05:39 PM

I'm sorry to say that usna71 is a read only person from this point on.

blw 11-01-2007 08:51 PM

Impersonating an officer???

GWILLIE 12-27-2013 05:33 PM

I need a set of instructions for the original 90T. How do I email someone from RCU?