Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hitec or Savox TG servo???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:48 PM
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec or Savox TG servo???

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

Take the top off the servo there is more than 1 gear. There are quite a few and they are powered by a tiny electric motor so yes what ever weight savings TI gives you it is deffinatly worth it.
I'll say it again; Ti servo gears are a stupid gimmick. Believe me. People will take performance over weight any day of the week, hence why the 5th scale racers use Tonegawa modified servos which are double the weight of a normal 'quarter scale' servo. Here's an image of the tone servo in my 5th scale MT, and its servo family too. The servo on the far right is an ACE ds1015 looking like it's in the land of the giants. Once again, please understand, whether the gears are made of steel or Ti is absolutely the last frikkin thing you care about when selecting a servo.
You are absolutely wrong, I have used the JR8611, the Hitec HS-5964, the JR8711 and I will absolutely say that the Titanium gears on tHe HS-5955, HS-7955 stay like new for 100s of flights on a 35% aerobatic airplane with no noticable gear play, where as the steel gears on the old Hitec and the JR servos develop slop.

Maybe the slop in the gears is not noticable on a car, but it is definitly noticable on a airplane and you can see it by wiggling the flight control.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 PM
My Feedback: (4)

You've lost me. How does adding a flywheel (a deliberately heavy object intended to increase rotational mass for purposes of maintaining momentum) have anything whatsoever to do with this discussion. Please explain how 3 grams of gear weight makes a difference to a servo with 2lbs of monster truck wheels attached. I've been patient so far, but what you're saying is completely ridiculous. In fact, its so ridiculous I wonder how you can believe it, like I said I thought you were trolling me, but if that's not the case....I don't know what to say.

Let's use your example. A flywheel on a motor. So, we have a motor with a 2lb flywheel attached to it and the motor has enough torque to rotate a 200lb flywheel back and forth at will (in other words enough torque to NEGATE the rotating mass of a flywheel 100 times the weight). Think of the 2lb flywheel as your monster truck wheels and the 200lb example as your max torque of your servo. You add 3 grams to the comm of the motor. What difference does this make to the TRANSITION TIME of the motor with a 2lb flywheel attached?

Absolutely none.

I'm not prepared to discuss this with you further, it's a complete no brainer. 300oz-in of torque affected by 3grams in the gears? That's just funny dude, come on, admit it. If you really cared about maximising the transition time of your servo, you'd use the lightest wheels and tires on the market, which still wouldn't make much difference because the servo has the torque to compensate for heavier wheels anyway. Only when you start approaching the servo's torque limit would any added weight slow it down, and even then, 3g? It's a shame you weren't talking about overall weight, as that would make more of a difference than 3g of rotating mass in the gears. Leave the basic science (especially don't be quoting that at people again), it seems you aren't actually very good at it. Try common sense instead. Sorry to put it so harshly, but consider not typing in huge red letters when having a discussion and people might give you more leeway. According to you, people are making their servos less efficient by adding an aluminium horn, at least 3 grams heavier than the plastic ones and having a radius extending far outside the rotating axis and therefore providing a much greater amplified mass when rotated. Not to mention once again that these gears do not rotate fast enough for even a large amount of added rotating mass to make a difference.

Sorry I didnt mean motor I ment Engine as in a Nitro engine, gasoline engine. It is called Momentum. An object at rest wants to stay at rest. An object in motion wants to stay in motion. It takes energy to stop and start it. The more mass the object has the more energy is required to do so. A light weight gear train will have faster responce times because the motor in the servo has less mass to start and stop.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: RazurBlackz

I swear by my hitec.
I agree. Hitec has been around for along time. I bought a Savox 1258TG and wasnt impressed. Seemed to be a power hungry servo and was always buzzing looking for center. Even with no load on the servo. I'll just stick with my Hitecs aswell
Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

Take the top off the servo there is more than 1 gear. There are quite a few and they are powered by a tiny electric motor so yes what ever weight savings TI gives you it is deffinatly worth it.
I'll say it again; Ti servo gears are a stupid gimmick. Believe me. People will take performance over weight any day of the week, hence why the 5th scale racers use Tonegawa modified servos which are double the weight of a normal 'quarter scale' servo. Here's an image of the tone servo in my 5th scale MT, and its servo family too. The servo on the far right is an ACE ds1015 looking like it's in the land of the giants. Once again, please understand, whether the gears are made of steel or Ti is absolutely the last frikkin thing you care about when selecting a servo.
You are absolutely wrong, I have used the JR8611, the Hitec HS-5964, the JR8711 and I will absolutely say that the Titanium gears on tHe HS-5955, HS-7955 stay like new for 100s of flights on a 35% aerobatic airplane with no noticable gear play, where as the steel gears on the old Hitec and the JR servos develop slop.

Maybe the slop in the gears is not noticable on a car, but it is definitly noticable on a airplane and you can see it by wiggling the flight control.
The amount of wear on the gears 'should' not differ in any noticeable way between ti and steel. Of course it depends on the compounds of both, if the other servo had mild steel gears, then the ti was probably harder, but I would suggest that its other factors which play a role in the slop you describe. High quality steel is harder than high quality titanium. Perhaps the steel of those servo gears just isn't up to snuff.

In any case, whether or not I am right or wrong about that, is beside the rotating mass point which I was trying to make.

Indeed I think you have pointed out the only possible advantage of using the ti gears, and I thank you for the suggestion that I hadn't considered.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM

For those of you who actually answered my question thank you. Im going to try the CS-170 and see how it handles my savage with Baja wheels. The weight its about the same as the goliaths. Again this servo is a big improvement from the hitec 645mg.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I run the cs170 and it is a great servo.