Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power

hey guys i think i messed up my front differential... im getting power in the rear tires and to front drivestaft but then the front dog bones or tires wont get power but still spin... does any one kno whats wrong or how to fix
Old 01-15-2005, 11:55 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: no power

First check the pins that mate the drive cups to the input shaft on the diff case and the outputshaft on the tranny... If a pin comes out it will turn under power with the wheels off the ground but they won't pull on the ground...
Old 01-15-2005, 12:31 PM

im pretty noobish to this stuff so i haveno idea what u just said...
Old 01-15-2005, 12:41 PM

nothing that i can c wrong without opening the differential
Old 01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Frost_

First check the pins that mate the drive cups to the input shaft on the diff case and the outputshaft on the tranny... If a pin comes out it will turn under power with the wheels off the ground but they won't pull on the ground...
Open the manual, to find out what I'm talking about... then check the pins I'm referring to. No need to jump into the diff just yet...
Old 01-15-2005, 01:06 PM

well the same exact thing happened to me, and i found out i chipped a gear in the diff. i think its the diff. i would reccomend getting the 4 spider gear mod if it is the diff.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:33 AM

I have the same problem. A couple of days ago i was trialing in my mates woods & the front wheels kept going out of shape with reduced traction.(too much power to the front wheels no drive to the back). I have my truck in bits on the dinning table at the moment. My missus loves that,ahaha. I'm just about to check the pins......

The pins look fine. I suppose i've got to take the diff apart. How can you see if there is any damage? Where Is the damage likely to be? Does anybody know?

If i have to buy replacement diff parts what make is the best & where can I buy them for a good price? Some of the hop ups are crap. Depends on the make. What makes are the best? The UK are a bit behind in supplying good hopups. Mostly HPI or cheap rubbish. I think i need help from the good old USA again. I imported 2 savage 25s before xmas. for my bro & I.

By the way I have noticed that things are beginning to rust, can I spray with penetration oil without any harm?

Cheers for any help..
Old 01-16-2005, 09:30 AM

Use WD40 for rust, im not sure if penatration oil is the same thing, as for the diff's, take them apart if as frost said there is nothing wrong with the pins, if the diff's are bad you will see either stripped gears, or the differential case will be worn, it may be the pinion gear, thats what happened to me, im not sure if there is a hopup for that.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:52 AM

Lee, the exact same thing just happened to me less than 2 hours ago and ive just opened up the rear diff to find 1 of the bevel gear's half stripped. Ive just ordered an HPI spider diff off e-bay which cost a tenner.

I too however would like to know if you can possibly get these in other materials ie. Titanium?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 PM

just get [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJLH6&P=0]this[/link]. you wont beable to miss the problem when you open the diff.