Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Ofna throttle linkage mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna throttle linkage mod

I'm interested in knowing why so many people do this mod? I've done several seraches but only find information on HOW to do it. Not why. I haven't had any issues with my throttle linkage but I'm curious what the benefit is over stock.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Default RE: Ofna throttle linkage mod

i changed mine over originaly because the hpi servohorn stripped on me,i do like the mod however other than looks i dont know why other people do it.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:29 PM

That was the very first mod I made to my Savage. The stock servo saver would "hang up" on me, meaning that when I released the throttle the servo saver would not allow the throttle to return to a neutral position. I also thought that the brakes were kinda weak. Making this mod stopped the throttle problem and made the brakes fantastic. If, in addation to the servo saver mod you also put in a stronger servo (I used the stock steering servo) the brakes are even better and you can put on a stronger return spring.
The great thing about this mod is that, even if you buy the ofna parts, it's still one of the best results vs cost mods you can make. If you do like I did and use stuff that you have on hand it's even better.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:30 PM

The Ofna mod set up is so much nicer than stock, looks and functions better. smoother operation, quicker throttle response and fine tune linkage.
Im happy with it.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:39 AM

I did it because, as DaveG55 mentioned, the throttle would not return well...meaning, it would not return to idle, just stay a little above. It didn't do it all the time, but did it about 90% of the time. I would have to give a little brake, then release, to get it to idle rpm's. I first tried relocating the return spring to give it more tension...it helped a little. I heard about the mod, and figured I'd give it try, especially since it resembled the stock set up I have on other cars and I thought the design made more sense. The mod fixed the throttle return problems and helped make the braking more positive, predictable and stronger...adjustability with stop collar and springs on the brake rod. Also it elliminated a brake drag problem I was having. In my case(with the stock throttle/brake set-up), when I would go to full throttle, the push rod for the brakes would bind slightly causing them to be applied at full throttle. The mod fixed that problem, too. You can check and see if yours does the same thing easily. Do it with the engine off and the electronics on. Start pushing the truck then apply full throttle. Mine would come to an instant stop. If I kept pushing(while at full throttle), then I could feel the brakes drag. I could have probably fixed the brake drag problem by just bending the brake rod a little(you'll have to do it if you do the mod), but, I had other problems that needed attension and killed two birds with one stone doing this mod. Easily one of the best mods I've done to the Savage.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Stablock

I'm interested in knowing why so many people do this mod? I've done several seraches but only find information on HOW to do it. Not why. I haven't had any issues with my throttle linkage but I'm curious what the benefit is over stock.

Like I commented to you in the OTHER post about linkages, now I will explain it again in more detail. There are severall good reasons to do the Ofna slider linkage mod. The main reason is the Ofna's will (when set up properly) allow the carb throttle to have some "free play" to it at idle. this allows the carb's throttle return spring to do it's job also, meaning a perfect consistant idle, every time, even if you get some minor AM servo glitching. The next advantage of ther Ofna's is the adjustability. you can infinitely alter the position of the stop collars to accomadate your specific Savage servos end points. When you do this, you won't be stressing the stock servos from "end of travel" linkage bind. When you mod both the throttle and grakes, the "feel" and precision of the acceleration, deccelerayion, and braking is a huge improvement over the stock Savage "fixed" linkage. Here's a few pics of my setup, this was my secon and final attempt which works perfect, (note the brake lever return spring, this mod keeps the brake arm retracted when accelerating, keeping your brakes cool from not dragging)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46652.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	339807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80166.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	339808  
Old 10-16-2005, 07:30 AM

Where's the pics???????????
Old 10-16-2005, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Polar_Bus

Like I commented to you in the OTHER post about linkages, now I will explain it again in more detail. There are severall good reasons to do the Ofna slider linkage mod. The main reason is the Ofna's will (when set up properly) allow the carb throttle to have some "free play" to it at idle. this allows the carb's throttle return spring to do it's job also, meaning a perfect consistant idle, every time, even if you get some minor AM servo glitching. The next advantage of ther Ofna's is the adjustability. you can infinitely alter the position of the stop collars to accomadate your specific Savage servos end points. When you do this, you won't be stressing the stock servos from "end of travel" linkage bind. When you mod both the throttle and grakes, the "feel" and precision of the acceleration, deccelerayion, and braking is a huge improvement over the stock Savage "fixed" linkage. Here's a few pics of my setup, this was my secon and final attempt which works perfect, (note the brake lever return spring, this mod keeps the brake arm retracted when accelerating, keeping your brakes cool from not dragging)

The carb return spring is the first thing I threw away when I got my savage. Perhaps that is why I'm not haveing any issues.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:49 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Simply it works better, why because the stock set up has a realy weak savor and you got better control over both the throttle and the break with the mod, I ditched the TRS when I put my truck together, to much drag on the servo and I never used one on my other RC's, had no problems. Heres a picture of my setup.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:24 PM

Heres mine. same mod but everyone has their own little twist...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53622.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	339942  
Old 10-16-2005, 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: adeoliver

Simply it works better, why because the stock set up has a realy weak savor and you got better control over both the throttle and the break with the mod, I ditched the TRS when I put my truck together, to much drag on the servo and I never used one on my other RC's, had no problems. Heres a picture of my setup.

What is a savor?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:24 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Wait, so how do you do this mod?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:15 AM

like this ...ooo i hope this works:Pthere are a couple different models with mods you can do step by step

http://www.monster4x4rc.com/
Old 10-17-2005, 05:28 AM

http://www.monster4x4rc.com/ < looki in there