Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Orion Wasp .26 better than the new .28???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 06:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orion Wasp .26 better than the new .28???

Hello all,
I dont know if this holds any truth or not,but the other day I was helping a friend fine tune his WASP .28 in a Savage that I sold him about a year ago...I didnt tell him this,but I noticed that the new .28 mill he bought just didnt seem to have the push that my old WASP .26 had...
I helped him break it in correctly and everything like that,and I even re-sealed his carb and backplate with "Red"gasket maker,like I do to all my engines to eliminate air leaks,so this wasnt an issue.... However,it just didnt seem to have the pep my 26 did...I mean it had grunt alright,but it didnt stand the truck up like the older WASP would...Its the exact same truck so there is no differences between vehicles to wonder about...It has an 18t/49 Robinson Racing steel gear combo,with big joe/velocity6 40 series tires and rims...Thats a pretty tall gear ratio I know,but my old 26 would wheelie on comand with this set-up...As a matter of fact,thats the tallest I could go with the gears at the time I owned that engine,or I would have went taller! It was crazy to me that it could still wheelie with that much gear!!!...Also Its had the clutch replaced since he went with the 28,so its not a slipping problem...
If anyone feels the same way about this,Id like to hear from you,cause right now Im seriously concidering buying another 26 for my new savage...

PS. Another thing about the 26vs.the 28...Why does it cost more to buy a 26 than it does to get the larger displacement 28???
I checked the stats at www.teamorion.com on these two motors,and the 28 wins according to stats anyhow,but Im starting to wonder what Orion has done differently to the 28 to shave off some of that higher price tag the older 26 carries...
Im a firm believer when it comes to that old saying>
"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"
Look at this for your self>
Wasp .28 > http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHGU0&P=ML
Older Wasp .26 > http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEKX1&P=7
Old 12-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Default RE: Orion Wasp .26 better than the new .28???

The 26 is a quality Italian engine made by Picco. The 28 is a POS japanese budget engine by a manufacturer call TOKI (their house brand is Infinity).
Old 12-08-2005, 11:03 AM

Damn... I was wondering the same thing about the Wasp .26 but didn't want to open a can of worms with the .28 guys...

Well I don't have a Wasp .28 but I do have a HPI .28 and a Wasp .26. It seems to me that Wasp .26 does have more "pep" campared to my .28.
Really good pickup for some odd reason.
For example, let's say you're running at 1/4 throttle, cruising along, then if you open the throttle all the way, it feels like the "turbo' kicks in. FAST!!!I can actually hear the gears (possibly the CB and spur) wind up as it picks up speed.
I don't get any of this effects from my HPI .28... It's not to say the my .28 is crappy. It has plenty if low end torgue but just does not have that "turbo" pick up feel like the Wasp .26 at WOT.

Anyway. my2cents.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 PM

The HPI 28 engine is made by STS, maybe that's why it doesnot perform in high speed as as well Italian engines.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:26 PM

I totally agree with Frost. the Wasp 26 and Picco P3 (26) are very similar motors, both made by Werk Racing. The Wasp 28 is cheap and most people have problems with them later on.

The HPI K4.6 is actually made by Novarossi, as well as the Racer's Edge 32.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:40 PM

I knew it!....Im extatic that you guys had all that info about the makers at-hand...
You see,that just go's to show you how the world works huh? Shame on Team Orion for making that piece of **** ,all for jumping on the band wagon to say bigger and a new color is better....
Like a flame 3 feet tall,it burns my *** to see a marketing ploys like this to sell more engines,in sacrifice of performance that people trust in "Once upon a Time" high end companys like >
Team Orion.... You know,Im seriously concidering just buying the new OS that just came out...
They have always been industry standard in reliability and tuning ease anyhow... Never once making the claim that their engines would be the fastest on the track,but almost a solid guarenty that you will however end the race with the engine still running!
And like that old saying go's,and still stands true to the day"To finish first,one must first finish!"
Old 12-08-2005, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: SSSavage25

I totally agree with Frost. the Wasp 26 and Picco P3 (26) are very similar motors, both made by Werk Racing. The Wasp 28 is cheap and most people have problems with them later on.

The HPI K4.6 is actually made by Novarossi, as well as the Racer's Edge 32.
MAN where did you get the information that Novarossi made the HPI K4.6? As far as I know it's made in Taiwan by STS, and I got this information from a man working for them. He also explained why the K 4.6 needed a different roto start , because STS engines have been designed with a different backplate, and the roto start for K4.6 exactly fit the STS 28 engine. They even released STS 28 engine with that backplate instead of pullstart.