Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage sucks big time

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:04 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage sucks big time

i thought this is a good truck,, but here it goes,
i had it for about 4 month and about 4 gallon of fuel, and yes i know how to tone engines:
1- engine failed at 1 gallon, carb getting loose from engine. poor design. i ended up buying 4.6
2- the clutch system is half engineered, gone through alot of spur gear to the point where am using new one evrey second tank. the truck will run ok on dirt , but when you run on some grass its gone
3- new transmission on the second tank, then i found about the problem with first gear, again poor design
4-few one way bearings, no i dont flood the engine it just happened
5-very poor radio box
so why do pepole recommend this truck? i talk pepole out of it, the revo is way better, verey good design, at least you can run through few tanks before taking it a part, savage will not run for 3 tanks without taking it a part. thanks

Old 12-11-2005, 11:11 AM

Default RE: savage sucks big time

wow sounds like you got a wednesday truck. was it a savage 25 or ss? i built my ss and have loved it. i have had it for about a year and a half running several gallons of fuel through it. the engine going bad and loose carb, could be an air leak but u can tighten the carb down pretty enough so it doenst come loose... going through spur gears, sounds like its not set right. i personally go by feel and i have nvr in my life stripped one and im not joking. not sure about the transmission... ill agree on the radio box but thats why everyone mods it so its better. so just sounds like your truck wasnt all together or something...

Your gunna get flamed now too for this post

*GRABS POPCORN*
Old 12-11-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bryston

i had it for about 4 month and about 4 gallon of fuel, and yes i know how to tone engines:
1- engine failed at 1 gallon, carb getting loose from engine. poor design. i ended up buying 4.6
2- the clutch system is half engineered, gone through alot of spur gear to the point where am using new one evrey second tank. the truck will run ok on dirt , but when you run on some grass its gone
3- new transmission on the second tank, then i found about the problem with first gear, again poor design
5-very poor radio box
so why do pepole recommend this truck? i talk pepole out of it, the revo is way better, verey good design, at least you can run through few tanks before taking it a part, savage will not run for 3 tanks without taking it a part. thanks

I must be doing something wrong. My Savage has none of those issues. I went through 1 spur gear in almost 3 gallons of fuel. Motor runs strong and no other problems.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:16 AM

the mish was right, i even brought it to my LHS few times and they did set the mish few times did not solve the problem, and i think they are dropping the line bc they had a lot of problem with them.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:28 AM

I just got mine on friday so i have no bad news on the savage. I'm on my second tank of fuel on the break in process and it has lots of power and i havent even touched the needles yet. Maybe you just got a bad one, did you cal hpi when you had the problems to see if they would warrenty any of it. I know i had a 2.5 t-maxx and it had issues and traxxas would not help at all and that didnt sit well with me so i no longer up talk traxxas. That t-maxx i had was a money pit from the start. Best of luck bro
Old 12-11-2005, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: alvinl

5-very poor radio box

I must be doing something wrong. My Savage has none of those issues. I went through 1 spur gear in almost 3 gallons of fuel. Motor runs strong and no other problems.

same here ive never had anything like what bryston described happen to my savage. The spur gear i have is the one that came stock with the truck and it has had 4 gallons from the S.25 and almost 2.5 gallons from the sh.28
Old 12-11-2005, 11:52 AM
My Feedback: (3)

bryson, the carb coming loose from your engine caused it to fail? how? this all sounds like USER ERROR to me. i'll be glad to take that Savage off your hands if you don't like it.

there's nothing wrong with the truck-if you go through slipper clutches like you claim, you're running it too loose, your fault.

nothing wrong with the radio box.

and one-way bearings...YOU effed it up, there's no question there. yes, you did flood it...you're just too "proud" to admit you did something wrong with your first nitro RC.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:00 PM

I've owned my Savage for about two years now and the only things that have broken have been suspension parts, shocks etc.
They were all caused by me running into things. Mines a beast.
Oh yeah I broke a one way bearing early on due to a flooded engine, my fault.

Nanuk
Old 12-11-2005, 12:17 PM

*passes popcorn*
Old 12-11-2005, 12:49 PM

when i first had mine i got to the second tank and the engine mashed mirrage sorted that im also on my second one way and my 3rd spur gear im gettin a 4.6 afta christmas joy
Old 12-11-2005, 12:53 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Munch Munch. MMMM, popcorn

The only reason the carb came off was because you didn't have it tightened enough. To set the mesh, m-e-s-h, you take a piece of printer paper, rip off a strip, and fold it in half so that the paper is essentially 2 pieces thick. Stick it inbetween the spur and clutch bell, and press the engine with your fingers against the engine. While pressing the engine, tighten the engine mount screw, until tight. That's how I do it, and I have yet to strip my spur gear
Old 12-11-2005, 01:14 PM

Every truck has its ups and downs, appart from radio box it sounds like user error to me.As for spur gear just get a steel combo from robinson racing but if your to hard on throttle well its your tranny thats gonna eat it...
Old 12-11-2005, 01:43 PM

I've had my Savvy25 for over a year now, I've got a few gallons of Traxxas 33% through it now, SAME spur, SAME trans, SAME clutch bell, SAME slipper.

I did do some minor upgrades, but then again who hasn't (CVD's on all 4 corners and centers & aluminum clutch)

the only thing I've EVER had to replace is the roll bar, & suspension parts, but I guess that will happen when you repetedly jump your Savvy over a 10ft. storage shead .

I think that I will chalk your experiance up to user inexperiance and crapy set up.

**Can someone please pass me some soda?.......My mouth is getting dry from all this POPCORN**
Old 12-11-2005, 01:50 PM

I haven't had any real problems with my savage aside from a couple melted spur gears. Once I replaced the stock plastic clutch shoes with aluminum shoes, it hasn't melted the spur gear teeth. I melted a couple centers because I didn't have the slipper tight enough. The last one I melted was from hitting a puddle and getting something wet. All user error on my part. And aside from that I've had no trouble with it.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 PM

*returns to seat with more popcorn and a soda for electro*

i have always set my spur "by feel". i have gotten it right every time. [8D] i have the magic touch
Old 12-11-2005, 04:26 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Returns from KFC with one of their Half-gallon cups for electro and me. *Grabs more popcorn* Munch Munch!

I wanna get rid of my crappy 2-shoe clutch, and get a 3-shoe clutch.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 PM

5-very poor radio box

"1- engine failed at 1 gallon, carb getting loose from engine. poor design. i ended up buying 4.6"

The S25 is NOT a poor design. The carb mounting is no different than the 4.6 engine you just bought, or any other nitro engine out there. You simply ignored the fact that the carb was loosening up, instead of figuring out why. OPERATOR ERROR.

"2- the clutch system is half engineered, gone through alot of spur gear to the point where am using new one evrey second tank. the truck will run ok on dirt , but when you run on some grass its gone"

The clutch system is NOT "half engineered" Thousands of us use the stock S25 clutch setup without ANY issues. The #1 reason clutches fail is excessive dirt and oil soaking the internal parts causing the shoes to slip and overheat. If you are stripping spurs every other tank, you have a serious issue somewhere else. I have trashed 3 spurs in 3 years, all from my own fault.

"3- new transmission on the second tank, then i found about the problem with first gear, again poor design"

Again THOUSANDS of us have high powered Savages using a completely stock tranny. Mine is 3 years old, and never had a single problem. An awesome reliable design by HPI.

"4-few one way bearings, no i dont flood the engine it just happened"

One way bearings rarely break. Clean the unburned nitro oil/dirt residue off yours it will work like new.

"5-very poor radio box"

I agree, it would be nice it it were bigger.

So dont come in here bashing the poop out of a Savage until you learn how to tune, and maintain a high powered nitro MT. Everything happens for a reason. A Savage simply doesn't break for no reason. Your Savage is breaking from ignorance, lack of understanding, and lack of day to day maintenence. Instead of ranting how a Savage sucks, ask questions WHY, and there is always a simple answer.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 PM

well all in all bryston is full of BS except for the radio box part but hey every truck has it's cons[:-]
Old 12-11-2005, 04:36 PM

The radio box problem can be sorted by getting a hump pack and using a wiring harnes so you do not have to take the batt out to charge. after doing this you only have to open the radio tray for maintance and hoppups
Old 12-11-2005, 04:42 PM

yep that what i did i sealed it to so things can be fixed with a little mod like that
Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 PM

I didnt have very good luck with my savage either , i think thier are much better trucks on the market right now , lst, revo, mgt, tnx to name a few ,all better in my opinion. i sold my savage .
Old 12-11-2005, 05:01 PM

"i had it for about 4 month and about 4 gallon of fuel, and yes i know how to tone engines"

Really? How exactly do you TONE an engine? I know how to TUNE, but never learned how to TONE...

And about that MISH... Where exactly is that MISH located on the truck? I know how to fix gear MESH, never heard of a gear MISH though...
Old 12-11-2005, 05:12 PM

1. if the carb is getting loose.... TIGHTEN IT BACK UP AND SEAL IT!

2. you go through gears because your mesh is wrong and when you are on dirt your tires can spin and it takes the stress off your spur gear until you hit grass where there is hardly any slip and the stress comes back

3. what exactly was wrong with your first gear? bad shift timing?.... doesnt work at all? details! details!

4. well you probably did flood your engine and the roto start is so powerful it will just rip that one way off.

5. this you are correct on..... ''poor design''
Old 12-11-2005, 05:58 PM

5-very poor radio box

OMG you are one whiney person.

The carb coming loose would not cause the engine to "fail" I have had 3 S-25s all with pretty good luck. Obviously your either lieing or have no clue what your doing when it comes to nitro.

The Clutch is a plain and simple 3 shoe clutch. Nothing half engineered there. Also you went to a higher power motor and didnt upgrade to alloy shoes....this is why the clutch is slipping and heating up the clutch bell and melting the teeth on the spur. Again user error.

Found out about the problem with first gear? what the heck are you talking about? I have had 2 trannys in 3 years.....first one went because it was my fault.

One Ways.....yup again your fault. again in 3 years ang 4 engines i have gone through maybe 3-4 oneways.....not to bad.

Radio box? i have never once under stood why people complain about it. I can fit my 5cell pack in there without a problem and after your drill out the hole for the antenna to go through the cover....it slides on and off very easily. Takes 2 seconds to do.

Obviously your very new and dont know what your doing. Your lack of knowledge is whats causing your problems....not the truck.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:59 PM

does anyone of you run it on grass? if you dont there is no point to talk about it. the truck will not run on grass for a long time with a 4.6.
1- yes there is a problem with the first gear , this why HPI came up with a heavy duty replacement, and i think there is a post on this site with pics about the problem.e
2- i used a alum. clutch shoe , did not help that much, as a mater of fact was worse on the grass since it grips to tight and stresses the spur gear. but it works fine on dirt roads
3- i have no problem tunning the engine, rc cars not my main thing, tons of plane engines
4-finaly , why did HPI came out with metal spur gear if the plastic one are ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.