Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage tranny help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage tranny help

i just installed a picco 28 on my savage...ran great first day.........2nd day i go to take it out and i drive it for about 15 minutes runs fine. then i take it out about and hour later i hit the gas and it wont move. i took off the plugs on the side of the tranny and both gears look fine. what else can it be?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:24 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: savage tranny help

If it revs and gets high rpm's and does not move the first thing I would look at would be the pilot nut. If that is not tight enough it will just rev and do nothing but that. Always use loctite on that nut and let it dry before starting.
You may have lost both the set screws for the cups on the center shafts, but it's not often you lose both at the same time.
Start with the pilot nut. That sucker has to be tightened down hard/
Old 04-21-2006, 12:25 PM

lol where is the pilot nut... is it the thing on the back of the spur gear?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the pilot nut is the nut that goes on the crank shaft that holds the fly wheel in place. If the flywheel is not held firmly, your clutch will not engage properly. Also check your slipper nut (the nut on the front of the spur gear). It should be just 1/4 turn loose from tight. It will help to take not of what is happening when you rev the motor. with the top off, watch the clutch bell and spur gear. Do either of these spin? Is the flywheel spinning?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:41 AM

thanks guys i found out what it was.....it was the pad behind the spur gear. it was completely gone and the slipper was a little loose. lol thank god it was only that and not the tranny. 5 dollar part .thanks for all the help