Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Ironic Story :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ironic Story :)

I as well have had my truck take off WOT, it was a tense moment with it screaming in my ear and my tires looking like they were about to disintegrate of the rims. This would be more so tramatic for a youngster. So don't feel bad nitrohead, just remember to not tell people when you get some help from dad. And dads, teach your kids how to stop a nitro engine.

P.S. Anyone ever notice the obviously moronic advise in instruction manuals and you think, "man it must be in there cause someone was stupid enough to use it in that manner." But then we never read the instruction manuals anyway . . . I just thought that was funny.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:05 AM

Oh and uh . . . nitrohead . . . Unless you want to be rebuilding your diffs I would try to avoid slamming all for wheels on the ground. Or maybe you already know that given the LOL after your statement above. Just lookin out for ya.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:22 AM

I agree with those who don't slam or flame newbies......remember we were all there before....this kid had the wherewithall to hold onto the truck and ask for help........someone could have been hurt had he just let it go......I'll bet the flamers have had runaways before.....this is my only problem with this Hobby....the know it all arrse's who offer nothing but sarcastic BS just because they think that they are RC gods or something.......

I consider myself a newbie just because I learn something new everyday I run or work on my trucks......
usually the know it all RC gods are kids who get their stuff from parents who pay no attention to them instead they buy them expensive things(including RC's) to try and make up for their lack of parenting .....sorry for the rant but I have had enough dealings with the RC gods to be able to post this.......nuttin like a 13 yr old kid telling you you have no business in this hobby unless you know everything about it.....

hats off to you Tom for actually thinking about others safety and hanging on to the truck i'm glad that you didn't get hurt and that you have now learned some valuable lessons.

Ron Young---RC newbie since March of 05
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: GoFastTurnLeft

its impossible to plug a THS pipe with your finger. they burn like 400+ degrees.
Only if your engine isnt tuned properly.
Just keep a tissue in your pocket if you are scared it might burn your finger. i stopped my car with my trainer yesterday, anything which blocks it up will work.

Also, you could just get an exhaust deflector, it makes the car easier to stop and stops unburnt fuel spraying all over your car. Well it stops about 75% of it anyway.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You always have a reply to something dont you? Pipes do get very hot but I agree that an exhaust deflector helps a lot. I have a clear straight tubing leading the exhaust away from my pipe so I usually just pinch that. I usually run my tank dry though.[8D]
Old 11-28-2006, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

You always have a reply to something dont you? Pipes do get very hot but I agree that an exhaust deflector helps a lot. I have a clear straight tubing leading the exhaust away from my pipe so I usually just pinch that. I usually run my tank dry though.[8D]
So what? It wasnt spam.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:04 PM

No you are correct, but you might want to lay off the smart @$$ attitude there. Its getting quite annoying and ive noticed that this is how you regularly reply to other peoples post. My advice: be more respectful and dont try to act smart, your obviously not that smart because if you were, you wouldnt be starting anything like you did in this thread for no reason, and you wouldnt reply disrepectfully like you have done countless times. Please get an attitude adjustment. Tom.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:09 PM

No you are correct, but you might want to lay off the smart @$$ attitude there. Its getting quite annoying and ive noticed that this is how you regularly reply to other peoples post. My advice: be more respectful and dont try to act smart, your obviously not that smart because if you were, you wouldnt be starting anything like you did in this thread for no reason, and you wouldnt reply disrepectfully like you have done countless times. Please get an attitude adjustment. Tom.
ORIGINAL: Me

Only if your engine isnt tuned properly.
Just keep a tissue in your pocket if you are scared it might burn your finger. i stopped my car with my trainer yesterday, anything which blocks it up will work.

Also, you could just get an exhaust deflector, it makes the car easier to stop and stops unburnt fuel spraying all over your car. Well it stops about 75% of it anyway.
That wasnt a smart *** attitude type reply. Nor was it a smart post, it was a common sense post really.
I also apologized to the thread starter. Usually things are supposed to be forgotten and forgiven after an apology, so why continue to go on about it?

Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM

Because you "common sense" posts are getting quite irritating, not just to me but the other members that are curious or are noobs that are just asking questions just chill out.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:12 AM

Because you "common sense" posts are getting quite irritating, not just to me but the other members that are curious or are noobs that are just asking questions just chill out.
No, its a peice of advice. Get over it.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:20 PM

Tom.Well its RUDE.

BTW I ran my Savage today and I have to say I think my carb is either blocked or maybe I have a big air leak. When I tried to start it, fuel didnt go through the lines by just priming it with the pipe. I had to prime it by blowing into the air pressure line. The truck kept turning off until I leaned it more and more. The truck started running a lot better but then I stopped drving it because my HSN was scewed almost all the way down into the needles. Sadly this means tommorow will be spent in my basement trying to find out whats up. Im guessing the culprit is my carb but I want to hear what you guys think. [8D]
Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

noob or not it was a simple error possibly in the setting or the model...I myself use a duratrax one and i set my cars to full brake so if it losses radio contact it'll slam on brakes...
Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a runaway with my savage, luckily i had the Steering servo working but the throttle servo just went into WOT, in the end i drove it into a ditch and drowned it to stop it...

no doubt it would have been a Spur of the moment type thing, but nethertheless you should know how to deal with a situation like this, ive had one go off in my hand and it was ******* scary!, but as long as your holding it at arms length and dont drop it it will do you no harm.

unless your running very lean you will not burn your finger, i do it all the time and my fingers are fine,

if your failsafe is not waterproof then that may be the culprite... if not then something may have knocked the Setting Button on it. but i doubt that cutting a wire would send it awol, i always thought it would just cut off the power... but CROSSING a pair of bare wires may have caused it to go to failsafe

i use an Mtroniks Failsafe that is waterproof, a bit smaller than a 10p piece and cost me less than £10 new from ebay, i leave it stuck under the radio box with velcro in front of the steering servo for protection and space...

but you say it went crazy and THEN you turned off the controls, perhaps it was a reciever fault that started it?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:14 PM

With the stock pipe, I remember it getting quite warm to use the "finger over the exhaust" to kill the engine method. I certainly would never touch that thing with my polished pipe. That bugger gets extremely hot and in no way could I keep my finger on it until it died, unless I wanted to be burned through to the bone.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:59 PM

Ok well the failsafe thing is done I found out that was a crushed wire, moving on....
I took apart every single part of the engine except I didnt bother taking off the backplate and removing the crank because after inspection, I found out it was sealed tight. Anyway, after spending almost an hour trying to wrestle the carb off the throat of the engine I finally got the damn thing out. It turns out the bottom of the composite carburetor enlarged somehow[:-][&:] and once it popped off I cut off about a millimeter or two off of the enlarged portion with a hobby knife. I completely took apart the whole carb, pipe and washed absolutely everything. I scrubbed all the needles and I found out that the needles were a bit dirty inside. Nevertheless, everything is very clean now and I hope that when I put it all together on monday, it wont gimme any problems. If it does, then ill just save up for a damn STS 28 and buy that already. I mean I dont understand, my engine was running perfect until 4 weeks ago. Then when I turned it on without altering my tuning settings, it ran like crap from the start. I leaned it out a bit because there was nice smoke but it wouldnt shift. Engine sound was uneven and grovely, after leaning out close to a turn, it backfired on me. So then I said its over for the night and ran the feul out of the engine. Then I tore the engine open the next day and inspected it, nothing wrong. I ran it later and it still would run right, it ran nice until about half throttle and then would stall each time. No matter how I set the needles it just wasnt tuning. Then I tore it apart again and washed some stuff but thatt gave me no results so I hope after this good scrubbing, its gonna work but thats a long shot Anyway after tearing it down after the WOT in my hand incident, the piston was a shade of golden brown now[:'(] I mean thats not bad but when I tore it down a tank ago, it was pure silver and still on its second gallon. Aww I ruined the brand new engine look on my piston lol, oh well thats life. Well anyway if you may have any idea whats wrong, please tell me. Thanks, Tom.[8D]
Old 12-03-2006, 04:38 AM

Ok well the failsafe thing is done I found out that was a crushed wire, moving on....
I took apart every single part of the engine except I didnt bother taking off the backplate and removing the crank because after inspection, I found out it was sealed tight. Anyway, after spending almost an hour trying to wrestle the carb off the throat of the engine I finally got the damn thing out. It turns out the bottom of the composite carburetor enlarged somehow[:-][&:] and once it popped off I cut off about a millimeter or two off of the enlarged portion with a hobby knife. I completely took apart the whole carb, pipe and washed absolutely everything. I scrubbed all the needles and I found out that the needles were a bit dirty inside. Nevertheless, everything is very clean now and I hope that when I put it all together on monday, it wont gimme any problems. If it does, then ill just save up for a damn STS 28 and buy that already. I mean I dont understand, my engine was running perfect until 4 weeks ago. Then when I turned it on without altering my tuning settings, it ran like crap from the start. I leaned it out a bit because there was nice smoke but it wouldnt shift. Engine sound was uneven and grovely, after leaning out close to a turn, it backfired on me. So then I said its over for the night and ran the feul out of the engine. Then I tore the engine open the next day and inspected it, nothing wrong. I ran it later and it still would run right, it ran nice until about half throttle and then would stall each time. No matter how I set the needles it just wasnt tuning. Then I tore it apart again and washed some stuff but thatt gave me no results so I hope after this good scrubbing, its gonna work but thats a long shot Anyway after tearing it down after the WOT in my hand incident, the piston was a shade of golden brown now[:'(] I mean thats not bad but when I tore it down a tank ago, it was pure silver and still on its second gallon. Aww I ruined the brand new engine look on my piston lol, oh well thats life. Well anyway if you may have any idea whats wrong, please tell me. Thanks, Tom.[8D]
Do you think maybe you didnt follow the break in procedure correctly? Its the one main thing that determines the life of your engine, if you are too hard on it at break in, it will never run correctly. If you find the problem area just replace that part. EVERYTHING in the Savage and its engine is replaceable. I doubt you have to buy a brand new engine.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:53 PM

The break in procedure was a perfect heat cycle. Its a recent problem, my Savage has 2 gallons on it and it was running perfectly for the whole time until the backfiring incident. I mean I didnt do anything wrong, I didnt even touch the engine on the tank before the backfire.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:23 PM

The not shifting and grovely sound sounds like the shift point is set too high. Look in your instruction book. It takes a while to find the right spot. Mine did the same thing. When I was at almost full throttle, it was running fast and high RPMs. When I gave it full throttle, it makes a grovely sound like it's trying to shift but can't. Mybe you're having trouble running it now because you might have over-leaned it trying to get it to shift. I would set it back to factory or break in and go from there.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: SpeedAddict

The not shifting and grovely sound sounds like the shift point is set too high. Look in your instruction book. It takes a while to find the right spot. Mine did the same thing. When I was at almost full throttle, it was running fast and high RPMs. When I gave it full throttle, it makes a grovely sound like it's trying to shift but can't. Mybe you're having trouble running it now because you might have over-leaned it trying to get it to shift. I would set it back to factory or break in and go from there.
I adjusted my shift so it is longer a while ago, and when on WOT for about a second (so it gets fast enough) i hear a sort of gargling sound, but only sometimes. Is this the same thing? It kind of sounds like the engine is too rich, its hard to explain. I didnt know it was a tranny related problem because it doesnt sound like one. Why would it even try to shift if its on the highest gear?

Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 AM

I also had a grovely noise when I tried to shift. It was not the shift points at all, but my engine was too lean.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM

That would explain the high rpm because I made my shift point sooner, but im confused about the half throttle stalling. Maybe thats somehow tied in, thanks for the tip Ill check it out friday[8D]
Old 12-22-2006, 06:41 PM

Well im sad to say it finally happened....[:-] I went to an abandonded factory where me and my brother sometimes drive. I finnally had my Savage all fixed up and ready to go... I fixed my shiftpoint and my truck was working great! So I decided to drag race my brother's S-maxx. At first we were just messing around and setting the rules for wheres the start and finish and such. Then, lol (this is also Ironic lmao) I revved up my engine nicely so it wouldnt bog and I said Ready!?....Set!......and BOOM!!!! My car exploded from the starting line on the count of two!!! I was shocked lol, but soon regained my composure and attempted to catch my Savage at WOT and I almost did!!! I reached for the truck because I was 15 feet in front of it when it started, so Im almost next to it and reach out 1 foot away and it gets away!!! Now this is the scary part.... wondering what your truck will hit at WOT when it decides to get a mind of its own[X(] So I got extremely lucky, it hit a wooden plywood piece that was standing vertically against a fence! Let me tell you, the crash wasnt perdy, but my truck pretty much only broke 2 parts. The inside of the steering knuckle broke and for the second time, a shock shaft broke off... I have replacements for that so all its gonna cost my is an hour on the bench. Im just F****n pissed that the fail safe gliched again like that. Im gonna send it to XTM and demand a refund! And ill get the OFNA micro unit I have on my maxx, that is very good quality and is smaller than a penny Im just happy I was too scared to run my truck on the street because this could have happened on my block and I could have messed up someones fender and completely demolished my car so im gratefull

BTW here are crash pics of how it went down:

Crash pics, enjoy! [:@]

Tom[&o]
Old 12-22-2006, 08:40 PM

Any comments guys? Post your thoughts and please dont start anything.[8D]
Old 12-23-2006, 06:54 AM

Jeez sorry but how can you make the same mistake twice in a row? You are supposed to test your electronics before even starting the car. Just starting the engine will not make your electronics suddenly glitch, unless you have everything extremely loose and vibrating in the radio box, then it might glitch. The failsafe is probably messed up. I had one which just twitched all the time and messed with all my servo's, so i did the safe thing and boxed the failsafe up and exchanged it for one that works. They dont last long tbh, all made in China and seem to glitch after 2-3 gallons. Next time turn your car's electrics on, turn your Tx on, put your car on the ground. Get your dad to hold the car up (or just look at it) and start walking away from the car while moving the throttle and steering servo and tell him to shout if it glitches. At least that way you can find out without crashing...
Old 12-23-2006, 11:36 AM

Ugh dude I said post comments without starting anything and obviously you just couldnt keep your nasty comments to yourself! The radio was not glitching when I turned it on! Everything was running fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was did not happen as a result of neglect or carelessness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think im experienced to know how my radio works. This was a spontanious even which means it randomely heppened!! The failsafe is defective, I drove it for 10 minutes before it happened, just like the time before when it went WOT in my hand!!! Dont be a smart@$$, I even hooked the failsafe to the front of the car to have more clearance in the radio box. No wires were pinched this time and I didnt bump into anything before my truck took off. I repeat, the servos do not twitch! It happened randomely so dont be nasty and say im a noob that cant check his own radio!!!!!![sm=punching.gif][sm=stupid.gif][sm=tired.gif][sm=48_48.gif][sm=thumbs_down.gif]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.