Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

How much does lowering help with handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does lowering help with handling

I recently got a Savage and it's great, but only in a straight line. The handling SUCKS!! I realize that it sits very high so handling will be comprised, but I was wondering what are ways to improve handling.

I was thinking of putting internal spacers in the shocks so that it will sit lower. How much would this actually help? Any other suggestions? Tried search, but didn't come up with much.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 AM

Default RE: How much does lowering help with handling

lowering it will help because it will lowefr the center gravity and it will also help with rollovers as well when its high and you turn nearly all the weight(depending on how fast, how much you turn)will move to one side of the car but when its lower not as much weight will be transfered to one side and therefore giving you more grip on the other front wheel helping you turn(thats why ll the race cars are dropped so low) should work
Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 AM

i'm on the same boat. i've been running my SS 4.6 for a week now and it's just too fast to control at times. i'm contemplating on getting the LCG chassis (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLUU0&P=7). what other options are out there? also, if i get a LCG chassis, will there be other mods i'll have to buy?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 AM

same as mine...planning to have the x chasis but the guys told me to have the LCG plates and try to check with chronic's TVP or innovative-rc for more info...
Old 01-22-2007, 10:13 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong... but if you limit shock travel internally.... you're going to loose some serious total shock travel when it's up in the air. On the way down with the shocks limited and only having maybe 2/3 of full travel... when it hits the ground.... bad day?

How low will softer springs lower it?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:43 AM

Lowering it will help tremendously. My favorite stockish setup used 1/2" internal limiters. Black springs all around with 30w oil for bashing and orange springs with 30w for racing. My old setup(still using stock shocks, but with lots of other mods) would easily outhandle my LST2, if that tells you anything...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

It helps a lot and I have limiters in my shocks with 25 weight oil one red and one green spring each corner and get 4 to 5 feet of air and have not had a problem yet. Mine is set up for racing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71433.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	604148  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:46 PM

46u...

can u put a pic up please of your truck from the side, i am ordering some lcg from chronic..., its just im racing aswell and want to see your set up if possible please dude, will be a great help!...

Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 PM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: TheOtherSide

Correct me if I'm wrong... but if you limit shock travel internally.... you're going to loose some serious total shock travel when it's up in the air. On the way down with the shocks limited and only having maybe 2/3 of full travel... when it hits the ground.... bad day?

How low will softer springs lower it?
All I do is bash, but I never jump it more than 5 feet. I don't do these crazy 15 ft jumps like some, so I don't think that would be an issue.

I think I'm going to put in some spacers and see what that does.

46u: that looks not to far away from truggy height, does it handle like one or still have some "savage tendencies"?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 PM

that is my point i wanna no....lol...^^^...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
46u

The LCG chassis only lowers the center of gravity does not change the ride height. Ride height has to do with limiters and or springs for the shocks. Here are a couple of pictures with my set up and proposed changes. Not doing much with my Savage as I have been more into my buggy.

This is my present set up

Started with a 4.6 SS kit
HPI LCG chassis
Spektrum DX3 radio
X A arms (lighter then the 4.6SS ones)
X differential and bulkheads (will make changing diff oil easier for different tracks)
208oz Tower Pro steering servo
Trinity foam tire inserts (low roll)
Pro-Line 1.26 off set wheels
HPI S Dirt Bonz
XTM sliding clutch
5-cell receiver hump pack
Steering bearing mod
49 spur 16 CB
25-weight oil, 10mm limiters, one red and one green spring each corner with one spacer
2 to 3 degree negative camber all four wheels
3 degree toe in rear
2 degree toe out front
5k front diff oil
3k rear duff oil
X engine guard with roll bar

Things I want to get
Associated LRP Z.28 Spec 3 engine or XTM 457 or .28 STS
HPI light transmission gear
HPI Nubz Conversion Set w/17mm UV Joints White wheels

Things I am considering
Titanium transmission shafts
Buggy shocks (The only hold up on this is I think a monster truck should have 8 shocks)

Name:	Jh17184.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	604444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70545.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	604445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43154.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	604446  
Old 01-22-2007, 08:12 PM

nice set up. those 3 engines are very nice only have experience with one though. i heard that the LRP was a total monster that might be my next or maybe the XTM like u said, some people say it's the same as the mach .28
Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 PM
46u

More then likely I will be going with the STS 28.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Lowering helps a lot to improve handling. By using sophisticated shock towers (like those made by Nova) which offer a lot of mounting points you can fine tune the setup of your truck.....

Lab

Name:	Mj24601.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	604515  
Old 01-23-2007, 05:13 AM

If you remove the stock preload spacers, you find it will make a difference in handling. But don't try any heavy jumping without them - otherwise you may bottom out your truck!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
46u

Most RC Trucks and buggies are made where they bottom out or you would be bending more shock rods and tearing more stuff up. Yes the shocks are suppose to keep it from bottoming out to hard.

The only worry I would have with taking off all the preload spacers is if you make a jump and the shock extends all the way there is a chance of the bottom shock spring retainer coming off. Not sure this has ever happen but I have never run with out the preload.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM

the shock retainer fell off one time when i first gor my truck i was using the stock fluid and it was cold a out so it got real thick, i bent a shaft and lost a retainer
Old 01-23-2007, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: labrador

Lowering helps a lot to improve handling. By using sophisticated shock towers (like those made by Nova) which offer a lot of mounting points you can fine tune the setup of your truck.....

Lab
Yea but dont they work best when you have shorter shocks like you do?

I cant believe no one has suggested offset wheels yet. It was the first (and only) thing I have done with my Savage to help the dreaded roll-over. Adding some RPM Stablemaxx (or similar offset) wheels will instantly add nearly an inch to the width of the truck, greatly improving its cornering stability.
Combine this with Dirt Bonz (standard with my SS4.6) and stiff foams (to stop all that sidewall flex, which just pitches the truck more in turns) and your truck instantly handles better than stock.
Im not sure which tires you have on, but the higher the tire the higher the COG...and once you have widened the truck then look at lowering the COG if you are still unhappy. Low COG TVP's will improve things a bit more without compromising your ground clearance (apart from the very centre of the truck).
If your not jumping HUGE AIR then by all means take the shock spacers out and try it, all it takes is 30 seconds of your time...! And Im sure if you liked it that way but were worried about losing your bottom spring retainer Im sure a small hole drilled in the right place and a small zip tie or wire would hold them together.

I would hesitate putting internal shock limiters in unless you race a lot as they are a pain to remove and arent good for bashing...IMO
Old 01-23-2007, 04:10 PM
46u

If you check in my set up list I have off set wheels.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: 46u

Most RC Trucks and buggies are made where they bottom out or you would be bending more shock rods and tearing more stuff up. Yes the shocks are suppose to keep it from bottoming out to hard.

The only worry I would have with taking off all the preload spacers is if you make a jump and the shock extends all the way there is a chance of the bottom shock spring retainer coming off. Not sure this has ever happen but I have never run with out the preload.
Yes you definately have to be careful. I haven't yet had this happen to me, but when I've had the preloads removed I haven't done anything too risky with the truck - just basic track running not big jumps and stuff.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

46 i like ur mugz[&:]
Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 PM

If you put limiters in the shock and take the preload spacers off it should equal out I would think and put load back on the spring. I think ill try it, but Im not sure if I wanna take my shocks apart lol there all filled nicly already.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

If you put limiters in the shock and take the preload spacers off it should equal out I would think and put load back on the spring. I think ill try it, but Im not sure if I wanna take my shocks apart lol there all filled nicly already.
It does. I even played with cut springs after doing the limiters because I never ran the pre-load spacers more than a few times anyway. Uncut springs work better BTW, even with the limiters. Also, the limiters will keep the shafts from extending all the way, which will reduce the occurance of bent shafts and greatly increase flat ground handling, where the pre-load spacers have the opposite effect.