Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
 bought myself an axial .28, what upgrades before i install it? >

bought myself an axial .28, what upgrades before i install it?

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

bought myself an axial .28, what upgrades before i install it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bought myself an axial .28, what upgrades before i install it?

ORIGINAL: tmdz28

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

Use Robisnon Racing gear, anything else will get eaten.
even HPI steel spur and hardened steel CB?
Do you have the X SS
Old 05-23-2007, 09:17 PM

even HPI steel spur and hardened steel CB?
Do you have the X SS
Nope stock savage X, but i replace the plastic spur with the steel spur and CB that comes with the X SS.

will that suffice?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

You mean the stock black plastic ones??

Then absolutely. I would recommend either the HPI polished pipe, or a Tsais M25.. They're sort of at the budget end of the spectrum but are ideal for an Axial 28....
Hi PatrickBW

Aside from the HPI Polished Aluminum Pipe and M25, do you also recommend HPI Purple Anodized Pipe? Does it also perform similar to the Polished one?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:29 PM

You won't need any upgrades for the axial .28, it performs just a bit better than the stock .28 in the SS kit.

OS 30VG or Axial .32 would required some upgrades.

You can run the axial .28 with what you have, but the metal diffs need to be installed.

After you burn up your first clutch bell using those alum shoes, get the mugen composites, much better and stickier.

You got some biased advice on the alum shoes. You'll just have to see for yourself what works best for you.

WHAT UPGRADES ARE NEEDED FOR THE .32...???? i HAVE THE .28 AND IT ROCKS EXCEPT THAT i CRACKED THE CRANK CASE...
Old 05-23-2007, 09:31 PM

Nope stock savage X, but i replace the plastic spur with the steel spur and CB that comes with the X SS.

will that suffice?
Yes, that will work, but a double slipper would be a good idea.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: carldav

You mean the stock black plastic ones??

Then absolutely. I would recommend either the HPI polished pipe, or a Tsais M25.. They're sort of at the budget end of the spectrum but are ideal for an Axial 28....
Hi PatrickBW

Aside from the HPI Polished Aluminum Pipe and M25, do you also recommend HPI Purple Anodized Pipe? Does it also perform similar to the Polished one?
ooops!

Sorry, please disregard this message
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM

will that suffice?
thanks man, but for now, i will use what i have since i dont want to spend too much money into right now.
Yes, that will work, but a double slipper would be a good idea.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't need any upgrades for the axial .28, it performs just a bit better than the stock .28 in the SS kit.

OS 30VG or Axial .32 would required some upgrades.

You can run the axial .28 with what you have, but the metal diffs need to be installed.

After you burn up your first clutch bell using those alum shoes, get the mugen composites, much better and stickier.

You got some biased advice on the alum shoes. You'll just have to see for yourself what works best for you.

What the?????

And jeeze man I'm sick of hearing about how the Axial 28 isn't the "most crazy powerful torquiest insane" or whatever engine... While this is true, it's also true that it's a VERY nice and powerful upgrade over a stock 4.1, very driveable and useable, won't eat diffs left right and center(but still will be hard enough on them that you need alu cups...), and in general is an ideal engine for bashing. Yes it COULD use a tad more on the top end, but gear up a tad and you can compensate. And in any case it's 1000x faster than an STS 30 which is sitting still having it's needles messed with or carb replaced....

But what's this nonsense about alu clutch shoes being bad? And "Use Robinson Racing gear, anything else will get eaten" is also an absurd comment.. RR is supposed to be good, but that statement is just dumb. I WOULD highly recommend a VENTED, hardened clutch bell, and the HPI steel spur gear from the X SS... Don't know what RR costs, but if it's much more expensive than the HPI I would just go with the HPI....

The HPI spur gear and clutch bell setup from the X SS is FINE - and cheap....
Old 05-24-2007, 06:58 AM

Dude, you got issues, nobody is trying to argue here. Calm down.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:08 AM

There's nothing here to argue. And yes in this case I suppose I do have an issue - the blatantly false info in your post...
Old 05-24-2007, 12:59 PM

There's nothing here to argue. And yes in this case I suppose I do have an issue - the blatantly false info in your post...
hey pat, do you really live in Germany? I was born there.

Anyway, do you think that the stock plastic diff will hold for maybe 2-3 gallon before it gave up it's life. I am not worried though since i have the alum ones that are ready to be installed.

just curious.

thanks man
Old 05-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FRENCHBLUE72
WHAT UPGRADES ARE NEEDED FOR THE .32...???? i HAVE THE .28 AND IT ROCKS EXCEPT THAT i CRACKED THE CRANK CASE...
I'd upgrade the diff cups and dog bones. I'd also go with a steel spur and hardened & vented clutch bell along with aluminum clutch shoes. Other than that, you should be good to go.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyway, do you think that the stock plastic diff will hold for maybe 2-3 gallon before it gave up it's life. I am not worried though since i have the alum ones that are ready to be installed.

just curious.

thanks man
I recommend people go with the aluminum diffs just because they add a safety net to the driveline, especially if you drive your truck stupid hard. With that said, the stock plastic diffs will hold up as long as you don't get abusive with the truck. Wide open throttle landings are the #1 way to kill them, so stay away from that kind of stuff and you should be ok. I still have my plastic diffs...they are brand new...but nonetheless, they are still plastic and they are fine. The HPI aluminums weren't available when I overhauled my diffs or otherwise I would've just went with the aluminums at that time. I will upgrade to the aluminum ones if I have diff problems in the future.[8D]
Old 05-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Well, that's a tough call. I sold my SS kit without building it and then just bought an X SS precisely cuz I didn't want to have to make those kinds of decisions...

On the one hand you could try your luck and just run it. Then when they give out you can replace them..

On the other though you'll also end up needing to get new diff gears..(or do you have already assembled - and shimmed - complete diffs??)

Cuz your truck is already used though, I would probably just run the truck as is and replace stuff as it breaks. Who knows - maybe it'll work out..

Nevertheless, from what I know and have heard, I don't expect your diffs with plastic cups to last two gallons. I've heard of LOTS of guys dropping Axial 28's in their Savys and not making a gallon.. Like GraveD said too, it depends how you drive.. Not only lay off the gas on landings, but no donuts, and in general just go a bit easy.. WOT out of turns and corners etc would be hard on the diffs... Wheelies too, right??

IMHO you don't need HD dogbones.. I've heard some very experienced people say HD bones if anything are worse than stock, cuz they snap where the stockers just bend...

So that's my take - drop the Axial in and see how it goes, but I don't expect diffs in plastic housings to last long.. Who knows though??.......

ps And yep - been in the Fatherland for over seven years... Were you a military kid or what?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM

thanks Pat,

i'll try it out in a month or so, right now, i am just trying to get all the parts together (alum clutch and polished pipe with longer spring).

i will let you know how everything works out once i am back from my vacation this summer.

thanks for all your help everyone, surely i will need some more help once i install this monster in LOL.

btw - my parents were not in the army, they studied there for their masters and PHd and i popped out. I was born in muenster.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:59 PM

[]TEX[], it's good to see you in the savage forum again. Haven't seen you in here since back when i built my xss.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And in any case it's 1000x faster than an STS 30 which is sitting still having it's needles messed with or carb replaced....
We'll see about that when I break mine in this weekend[>:] Lets see if what you say is true... Im definitely making a vid of it by next weekend[8D] Tom. Oh and Pat, calm down a bit, these are just forums and theres bound to be people with umm their own opinions[&:]
Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 PM

I see dumb opinions in forums every day. And I ignore them. But as I said before, spreading blatantly false information is something else.. I was just pointing that out.. He didn't say "I think that alu shoes will burn up the bell." He said "Alu shoes WILL burn up the CB".. Both statements are utterly absurd, but he stated it as fact, and so I just had to say "whoa, heh?? That's not right..." Sorry if it came across harsh.

(was just a tad shocked that it was SSOO false)
Old 05-27-2007, 10:55 PM

hey Pat,

when you say switch the diff to alum. do you mean the diff. housing or the front and rear diff that has the dogbones connects to the tranny?

cause i cant seem to find that dogbone housing anywhere for sale, all i could find is the the diff that has the dogbones for the tires.

i do however have the diff housing, is that what you mean?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 AM

Not the housing - just the cup.. But I think you've got that already.. If you REALLY want to be thorough you can install it now as insurance.. Or, you can just run it as is and see what happens.. But then, if your diffs go, then when you switch to the alu cup, you're gonna need new diff gears as well - to replace the ones that get mangled from the flex that the current plastic cups allow...

As I said before, I went through all this, and ultimately sold my SS kit unbuilt and just got the X SS.. It just makes life so much easier... I know it ain't cheap, but switching to an all-X SS set-up would remove a lot of questions... There's a great Savage X SS chop-shop on e-bay - name is plc-man I think..

Basically, I think you'd be looking at 100 smackers to get the skid plates, bumpers, shock-towers, AND the pre-shimmed, ready to go diffs. But then you'd KNOW you have solid diffs, and if and when they do blow out, repairing or fixing them would be as easy as switching out any other broken bit.. I just like not having to go look up how to shim the d.amn things.. Cuz apparently that + alu cups is what it's all about...

Anyway, if 100 bucks is out of the question(somebody else on here could check me on that - what exactly is needed, and what it should really cost..), then you have basically two choices. Test your luck and run it as is and see what happens......... Or, put in your alu cups for some extra insurance. BUT, if you do that you need to use the "search" function and learn how to shim.. You'd also need to buy the right-sized shims...(or do you have the X upgade kit?? - in which case they should be included..)

Diffs are weird. Some people seem to have really bad luck and lose diffs left, right and center.. Then some other guy will come along and say his stock plastic-cup diffs have been fine and lasted 5 gallons with a 28...(my stock Savage 25 diffs - with just the NS 25 - didn't last five gallons...)
Old 05-28-2007, 01:23 AM

Not the housing - just the cup.. But I think you've got that already.. If you REALLY want to be thorough you can install it now as insurance.. Or, you can just run it as is and see what happens.. But then, if your diffs go, then when you switch to the alu cup, you're gonna need new diff gears as well - to replace the ones that get mangled from the flex that the current plastic cups allow...

As I said before, I went through all this, and ultimately sold my SS kit unbuilt and just got the X SS.. It just makes life so much easier... I know it ain't cheap, but switching to an all-X SS set-up would remove a lot of questions... There's a great Savage X SS chop-shop on e-bay - name is plc-man I think..

Basically, I think you'd be looking at 100 smackers to get the skid plates, bumpers, shock-towers, AND the pre-shimmed, ready to go diffs. But then you'd KNOW you have solid diffs, and if and when they do blow out, repairing or fixing them would be as easy as switching out any other broken bit.. I just like not having to go look up how to shim the d.amn things.. Cuz apparently that + alu cups is what it's all about...

Anyway, if 100 bucks is out of the question(somebody else on here could check me on that - what exactly is needed, and what it should really cost..), then you have basically two choices. Test your luck and run it as is and see what happens......... Or, put in your alu cups for some extra insurance. BUT, if you do that you need to use the "search" function and learn how to shim.. You'd also need to buy the right-sized shims...(or do you have the X upgade kit?? - in which case they should be included..)

Diffs are weird. Some people seem to have really bad luck and lose diffs left, right and center.. Then some other guy will come along and say his stock plastic-cup diffs have been fine and lasted 5 gallons with a 28...(my stock Savage 25 diffs - with just the NS 25 - didn't last five gallons...)
well, my bevel gear got stripped today. that is the bevel gear that connects the dogbone. as shown in the pic. the dogbone housing for the bevel gear is plastic. and i noticed this plastic housing connects the dogbone to the tranny. so that should be ok right?

i have a savage X, and HPI gave me the alum diff cups as an upgrade. is that what should be replaced? if so, i encounter a little problem, as i tried to open the four philips screw, one of them was stripped. so now i am stuck trying to take this philips screw out.

as far as the dogbone housing that connects to the tires, they are all made of metal both right and left.

thanks for all the help Pat.

i'll try to open this philips screw SOB again tomorrow. if there is no success tomorow, then i'll just bring it to my LHS, see what they can do.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:33 AM

I think instead of "dogbone housing" you should say "cup".. (But not the same as the diff cup....)

If you have a Savage X then you don't need all those plastic parts. Just a preassembled, pre-shimmed diff. That's the lazy way though..
Old 05-28-2007, 01:44 AM

I think instead of "dogbone housing" you should say "cup".. (But not the same as the diff cup....)

If you have a Savage X then you don't need all those plastic parts. Just a preassembled, pre-shimmed diff. That's the lazy way though..
yeah, but that cost a lot of money
Old 05-28-2007, 01:54 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Savage-X-4-6...QQcmdZViewItem

If you can't swing that(I know what it's like though - this hobby is crazy expensive and I'm totally irresponsible about it...), then start "searching", for ex "Savage shimming".. And yeah I guess you can just pick up some cheap replacement gears on e-bay or whatever. You've got the cups, and that's the most important part anyway... You just need the new gears, and to learn how to shim them.. That's all there is to it, really..
Old 05-28-2007, 02:19 AM

i guess, i will just replace the stock plastic cup with the alum ones that comes as a bonus is the RTR kit, and i will see how that goes with axial .28. if that do not last, then i will just buy the items on the link. i have some money, but dont feel like wasting it for something that i do not need as of yet.

i'll keep you updated tomorrow on how my process of taking the stripped phillips screw. after that, all i need is a new bevel gear, and i am set.

here comes axial .28

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.