Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

3 speed assemble or preassembled

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 speed assemble or preassembled

wanting to get a three speed for my savage.How difficult is the assembly of the kit version?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3 speed assemble or preassembled

read up.
http://www.hpiracing.com/manuals/pdf/87218.pdf

i bought the pre assembled 3sp just to keep my 2sp ready to go back in if needed.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:18 PM

The 3speed kit ie VERY easy to assemble. Not only that, way cheaper too! The only thing that might be difficult is removing the C-clip from the shaft, but once you get that off, the rest is very very easy.

I higly recommend the 3speed kit, not the pre-assembled. The pre-assembled is nothing but a rip off, especially if you have the X-easy acces tranny box. The pre-assembled comes in the old non-X tranny case and you will have to take it apart anywasy to get the gears out and put it into the X-easy access tranny case.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 AM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

The 3speed kit ie VERY easy to assemble. Not only that, way cheaper too! The only thing that might be difficult is removing the C-clip from the shaft, but once you get that off, the rest is very very easy.

I higly recommend the 3speed kit, not the pre-assembled. The pre-assembled is nothing but a rip off, especially if you have the X-easy acces tranny box. The pre-assembled comes in the old non-X tranny case and you will have to take it apart anywasy to get the gears out and put it into the X-easy access tranny case.
I'll vouch for that! I bought the assembly then found out how much easier it is to adjust the 1-2 shift with the X case and just finished transferring all of the guts to my X case anyway. I still don't have it shifting right but at least its easier to make changes.

Here is the source for the "X easy access case" in case you don't have it:

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001431057&I=LXMCZ9&P=K]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001431057&I=LXMCZ9&P=K[/link]
Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the assembled version.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:29 AM

I got the easy access case with the three speed internals and its much easier to work on and adjust then the old case!!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The preassembled, depending on price, isn't THAT bad a thing to have.. Then you can swap the internals so you have the 3-speed in the easy-access case, and then you have a backup 2-speed(that doesn't need easy-access...) that you can throw in if need be...

I did the kit and yeah it was easy to put together..

As for the 3-speed in general, I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't think I like it. It's made the tuning-window narrower, it requires more warming up for the truck to run right, and ultimately I don't think the performance increase is all that... With the 2-speed my Axial was SSOOO much easier to tune, stayed perfectly within like a 20 degree window, and was ready to rip after like 2-3 passes.. With the 3-speed in there, the 1-2 shift point still isn't set right I don't think, after like 2 times taking everything apart, and the tune seems to wander more than before...

I've seen some very persuasive vids of the 3-speed where it looks really fantastic, but so far in my experience it hasn't really been worth it....
Old 09-03-2007, 02:55 PM

if u want to install the reverse it is bette to take the kit u have to oppend it anayway[:'(]
Old 09-03-2007, 05:16 PM

I think the new savagex 3 speed comes with the new gear box supposed to be stronger and lighter too[>:]
Old 09-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Savage X 3spd? There's only 1 3spd and that's the optional one HPI sells. Guys take the 3spd guts and install them into the X style trans case for easier access. Is that what you were referring to?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:14 PM

Thats what I said!!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/87257.html

this is what im talkin about i think its new updated 3 speed from HPI
Old 09-03-2007, 06:26 PM

That's pretty cool. Looks like HPI has been on this board a few times and stole the idea.[8D]
Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Its about time....$125 is way too expensive though. I hope they make a kit version of the "hardened gears for more durability and redsigned clutch" 3spd tranny so that we dont have to pay such a massive price.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the retail price, it will always be high