Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Slope Soaring in AFPD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:45 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slope Soaring in AFPD

I get most of my flight time lately flying slope planes in Denver. I just cranked up the winds and turbulence in the hanggliding scenery- Lots of great alpine soaring in there- I managed to get into follow mode and follow the glider through some nice frontside passes on one of the mountain ranges- I must admit I was rather impressed with the gliders available in AFPD, the lift, and also the scenery! I found two mesas just "behind" the normal take-off spot; one w/ a runway, a shack, and a nice 3M sailplane sitting on the porch, and another just next to it with another shack and sailplane sitting there. As far as I can tell, these are the most ideal slope spots built into the scenery- in fact they look like they were made to be that way. Alpine, slope, F3F, and Thermal Duration are much bigger in Europe (and Germany) then they are in the USA. You would think that they would make these features more usable in the sim. I landed on the top of one of the mesa's, then set the view mode to fixed position, and was able to launch and fly- but my poor viewpoint obscured most of the slope, and when I crashed the model was reset at the original runway in the valley below.

Long story short- Is there any way that I can reset the glider starting point to the edge of the windward mesa? So I can just give it a "hand toss" off the ridge? Is anyone else doing anything similar?

Thanks for any replies.

Slope-head
Old 01-18-2005, 04:01 AM

Default RE: Slope Soaring in AFPD

Just press F3 to save your actual position.

Regards
Rodeo
www.rodeo.onlinehome.de
Old 01-18-2005, 04:05 AM

Thanks Rodeo!

That helps mucho.

Cody
Old 01-18-2005, 04:31 AM

I tried to DS the backside of a HUGE mountain. It's funny, the program doesn't "Grok" DS at all! Oh well. Still had a blast tearing around in a 10M/S wind!

Cody
Old 01-18-2005, 01:06 PM

FWIW- to Dion, or whoever.

It would be awesome if there were a photo-realistic slope site! I know slope/ alpine/ Thermal Duration guys are a minority here- but I am so impressed overall with the product that it just begs to be done. You know that if people are spending $5,000 on a 4-5M scale DG1000 they would drop less then 2 bills on a sim with nice alpine scenery.

Cody
Old 01-18-2005, 09:48 PM

Hey Cody;

Flying on the slope is my "Passion" and I have been searching far and wide for a more realistic sloping simulator. I have also cranked up the winds to the max along with the thermic activity, but for me it is really tame. I want to be able to hear the wings blow up from going to fast.

I have to try finding that site you are talking about and save it.

Henry
Old 01-20-2005, 12:39 PM

Cody;

Have you tried the follow the plane view? With that view I could almost DS the backside, and my Solution would keep accelerating when I picked the right line. I will have to play around with the wind direction and see if that improves anything.

Henry
Old 01-23-2005, 12:54 AM

Interesting! Keep us posted! If the wind models are accurate enough to mimic the rotor on the back side of a ridge- Rioght on! But I dont think it is the case. I must say- if you do your pumps right you can gain altitude , if you goof or pull wrong you lose altitude. So at least that works for me!