Community
Search
Notices
Kit Manufacturer Direct Support Forum Get support here directly from the manufacturers themselves or their official reps for the kits they manufacture or distribute.

Wizard biplane sterling

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wizard biplane sterling

Hello. I am begining construction of Wizard old bipe from Sterling models. . Can anybody send me info about him. ? I have heard that is very hard the construction and the flying. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is an old thread you can consult, sorry, I don't have the link, and I have not built or flown this plane myself. I have built and flown some other models of that vintage.

People are tempted to use much more power than was used when planes of that vintage were designed. A 35 of that time had probably somewhere around a third of the power of a modern engine of that size. Those engines were also much lighter. Too much power in such an airplane can lead to trouble and perhaps gives it a poor reputation. Ailerons are placed on the lower wing which is very short compared to the top wing, so not a lot of leverage. In addition, the wings have considerable dihedral, which will tend to resist rolling, so that will further reduce the effectiveness of the ailerons. You could reduce the dihedral some, but if you take out very much I think it will no longer look like a Sterling Wizard, and then what is the point?

I have thought about building this plane. If I did, I would use aileron and rudder coupling on the transmitter so that it would turn well with the right stick, and not expect it to roll like a more modern airplane. I would use moderate power. For me, this would be no more than an old 40 size four stroke. For two stroke engines, I would either use an old engine, like an old K&B, OS or Enya cross flow type of no more than .35 displacement, or a more recent .25. Practically any .25 should work, with a 10x4 prop. I would not try to make it into something that it wasn't, although an experienced builder/pilot could do so.

I'm sure the construction is not easy, but people used to build them, and with fewer tools than we have today. Good luck with your project.

Jim