Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Chute Inflation Tips Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chute Inflation Tips Please

Hi all,

I'm new to R/C skydiving. I've recently built a powered paraglider using a parafoil kite that flies well.

I then built a skydiver from scratch. I've sewn the parachute, adjusted the lines for -13 degrees incidence. It looks as if it will glide well. I've packed the chute a number of ways including the method shown on this site. I've made a number of drops, but the chute will frequently stay folded approximately in half and won't unfold all the way.

I haven't done a drop since I re-adjusted the lines, but I was wondering if anyone had any other tricks I could try (and no, I don't mean buying a pre-made chute).

Thanks for the help.

- Brad
Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 PM

Default RE: Chute Inflation Tips Please

Brad,
I use a pilotchute on all of my parachutes. My pilotchute is 10" in diameter and from the bottom of the skirt there are 8 lines12" long where they all come together. The connecting line to the parachute is approximately 11" long from where the pilotchute cords come together and is 10" from the leading edge of the parachute. I pack the pilotchute under the top panel of the packtray. I like using a pilotchute to pull the main chute from the packtray. Hope this helps you.
Juan
Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Brad here are some pictures of the setup that I use. The first pictue is of the line from the pilotchute to the main chute. Second picture the lines on the pilotchute. 3rd picture the pilotchute. 4th picture attach point to the main chute. the last picture is the pilotchute under the top flap of the packtray, I purposely left it showing, normally it would be completely under the flap. Hope this helps you.
Juan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55197.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	907344   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44719.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	907345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73678.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	907346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke92195.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	907347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36557.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	907348  
Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 AM

Juan,

Thanks for the response. I don't have any problem getting the chute of the pack, but it might help to attach a pilot chute to help inflate the main chute. Does it attach to the trailing edge of the main chute?

- Brad
Old 03-21-2008, 11:15 AM

Brad,
It is attached centered on the main chute and ten inches from the front of the leading edge of the mainchute.
Juan
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Brad :
this is goldenknight1 see if your chute has a angle of attack of 12 to 15 degrees , this is what I use on the Jalbert type canopy and the tying of pilot chute position and size of canopy that Jaun gave you is the best place for holding canopy in a good inflation position.

Bob
fair winds and blue skies[8D][8D]
Old 04-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Bob,

Thank you. I got your email as well.

My chute is at 13 degrees now, but it seems close to stall when flying. I'm sure the chute is too big for the weight of my jumper, but I'm hoping that going to a larger angle will help things.

If that doesn't solve the inflation problem, I'll have to try a pilot chute.

- Brad
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Brad
at the bottom of this box you will see e-mail and pm. if you don't mind send me your phone number and I will call you and see if I can help you with your problems.

BOB