Search
Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Losi 8ight Pull Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Losi 8ight Pull Start Issues

I just unboxed recently my Losi 8eight nitro buggy with .21 dynamite engine. It almost started but i believe i pulled the pull start way too hard and pulled out the rope. Does this need to be replaced or is there a way to take it apart and re-rope the assembly.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:53 PM

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtommy911
I just unboxed recently my Losi 8eight nitro buggy with .21 dynamite engine. It almost started but i believe i pulled the pull start way too hard and pulled out the rope. Does this need to be replaced or is there a way to take it apart and re-rope the assembly.
You should be able to take it apart and re-wind it. There is usually a slot in the rope spool. With all of the rope off the spool, stick the rope end that’s tied to the spool into that slot. The rope will need to stay between the spool and the housing as you turn the spool to re-tension the spring. Once the spring is tensioned, pull the rope out of the slot and slowly feed the rope back in until it is all spoiled back up. This is the best case scenario. If the spring broke or is out of the spool, you’ll have to pull the spool carefully and reattach the spring. This is a pain in the butt with some pullstarts, so hopefully yours is easy. Big block engines are really hard on pullstarts when they’re new. It helps a TON to preheat the engine so it’s 180-200°F at the glow plug before you prime and start it. Going forward, use short quick strokes to start the engine. If you have to pull it more than 4-5 times, you don’t have it primed right or the glow plug isn’t hot enough.