Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

EC3/EC5 vs. Deans

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EC3/EC5 vs. Deans

We are looking to switch everything from Deans to either EC3's or EC5's, but I cannot find any info about power handling. All I want to know is are they as good as or better than Deans? Which would be a better way to go for what we need it for? Blitz with 2s LiPo, MM ESC, Velineon motor, and Slash 4X4 with MMP SCTE ESC, CC 1410 3800Kv,. 2s LiPo. I will also be purchasing a Losi 8ight E 2.0 with a MMM and 2200Kv, would these connectors be fine for this kind of larger setup as well?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: EC3/EC5 vs. Deans

I currently have deans and like them, but if I were staring over I,d use ec3. Much easier to solder. My kids plane came with them and after doing a couple i was wishing I knew about them years ago.

With the eight maybe the ec5 would be better, but I am not familiar with the current limits of either.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Not what you were asking about but I opted for these: www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/30-amp-red-black-anderson-powerpole-sets.html

(got them from Amazon though)
Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Found this on another forum:

Deans rated @ 40A continuos

EC3 rated @ 60amps continuos

EC5 rated @ 120Amps continous

Power poles rated @ 30Amps continuous (@ 110v)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: kistner

I currently have deans and like them, but if I were staring over I,d use ec3. Much easier to solder. My kids plane came with them and after doing a couple i was wishing I knew about them years ago.

With the eight maybe the ec5 would be better, but I am not familiar with the current limits of either.
ditto I've been tempted to swap my traxxas over, but 23 or so RC's, and 12 or so batteries, and 3 chargers, and 2 radios wouldn't be cheap to do.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 AM
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kistner

Found this on another forum:

Deans rated @ 40A continuos

EC3 rated @ 60amps continuos

EC5 rated @ 120Amps continous

Power poles rated @ 30Amps continuous (@ 110v)
I can't seem to find this, would you post a link if you have it? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM

i do brushless motor bullets, which i think are 4mm. its a little micky mouse, but it works great, total overkill.

plus its cheap as heck

one note- dont use this if this is for a little kid, very easy to short the battery on purpose
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Very easy to short it by mistake, as well. I would be ok, but i worry about my fiancee or one of my friends that come to watch and end up pitting for me. I've got several who are dying to get their own truck, but until then are more than happy to work on mine and do occasional parking lot passes, so I am still looking for something also noodie-proof.

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

i do brushless motor bullets, which i think are 4mm. its a little micky mouse, but it works great, total overkill.

plus its cheap as heck

one note- dont use this if this is for a little kid, very easy to short the battery on purpose
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Very easy to short it by mistake, as well. I would be ok, but i worry about my fiancee or one of my friends that come to watch and end up pitting for me. I've got several who are dying to get their own truck, but until then are more than happy to work on mine and do occasional parking lot passes, so I am still looking for something also noodie-proof.

plus its cheap as heck

i zip-tie the ends and keep one wire shorter than the other, it can be made fool proof, but if a kid thought it was a good enough idea they would grab a coat hanger and make fireworks.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Well that is one good part of our crew, no children. Just a bunch of resinated burnt-out adults! Thinking I will go with the EC5's and just switch everything over.

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

plus its cheap as heck

i zip-tie the ends and keep one wire shorter than the other, it can be made fool proof, but if a kid thought it was a good enough idea they would grab a coat hanger and make fireworks.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 AM

I can't seem to find this, would you post a link if you have it? Thanks.
I had Googled 'ec3 current limit' and pulled up some airplane forum having the same discussion we are. Copied and pasted, but there was no official source noted.