Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 What type of nitro is fun to bash around in the desert?(off-road) >

What type of nitro is fun to bash around in the desert?(off-road)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stadium Trucks
28.57%
Monster Trucks
32.14%
1/8 Buggies
35.71%
Other Type (What type?)
3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

What type of nitro is fun to bash around in the desert?(off-road)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What type of nitro is fun to bash around in the desert?(off-road)

Danseys is listed as a dealer for FG so they can order parts, but to my knowledge--they have no replacement parts in stock for the Marder, Monster or any other FG. Since Great Planes also carries its Duratrax FireHammer, any LHS that orders through Great Planes should be able to get parts for the FireHammer though you could probably order them yourself through Tower Hobbies (which is basically Hobbico/Great Planes' online store). Some people use FG parts as an upgrade for the FireHammer. Since Tower also carries Traxxas, perhaps an order can be made for the Traxxas buggy and parts through the LHS--For your information, one of the locals had three of the Traxxas buggies and I heard he was dumping them though I don't know if he still has any of them or not. Of course, the XTM may be limited to Hobby People unless it is a motor part. Most large scale R/Cs run the Zenoah motors which can also be ordered through Nice Twice Hobbies which is not to far from the Hobby People/HobbyTownUSA hobby stores located at Decatur-Sahara. Nice Twice also had some Zenoah motors in stock but they were the ones for airplanes and not cars.

The thing is that if you want to bash with others, there are very few people around Las Vegas with the larger scale off-road R/Cs. To my knowledge Danseys has sold one of the FG Monsters and a few Marders and the one guy I know did have three Traxxas buggies; however, I don't know about any other large scale off-road R/Cs. If you want to bash with others and be able to get replacement parts, you may want to check into the Savage or the Traxxas in addition to that XTM you've been looking into. My first nitro was a Traxxas and I later purchased a Mugen mbX5 buggy. Overall, I prefer the buggy though it was a lot more expensive up front. The "Money Maxx" was also very expensive after I replaced all the broken parts with alloy. I also changed out the radio system and though it looks good, I just don't drive it anymore.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i got lots of choses

my choses, dont know which one to get:

HPI Savage 25 RTR
XTM X-terminator 1/8 buggy Deluxe RTR
XTM MAMMOTH ST RTR

Which you prefer?
For me, i think XTM X-terminator 1/8 buggy Deluxe RTR(durable too) is good for the desert and onroad. I have onroad then off-road. See previous pictures.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Myself, I would not purchase a RTR since they usually ship with lower quality electronics and parts in order to keep the over all costs down unless you don't think you can put a kit together. For example, if you decide to run FM later, there goes the stock AM radio and receiver unit; if you want faster and stronger servos, there goes the stock servos. Now, you have paid for everything twice. You'll probably pretty much tear apart the ready-to-run simply to use blue glue or thread locker to help keep everything together even if you don't adjust anything.

However, if you don't think you can build a kit, purchase a RTR--my first was a RTR and the LHS was pretty helpful though I believe the franchise stores "act" slightly differently than a "mom & pop" hobby store though some may be slightly cheaper. Remember that the store where you purchase the R/C may be more helpful upfront than another store that you may end up taking the R/C for repairs and advice. Some may also give you a few "free" visits and tune-ups where another may charge you a fee. Talk to the "car" people in the hobby stores and those who run the particular R/C, not just someone who is trying to sell you something. I write this since I have encountered salespersons in the stores selling R/C car products yet don't own an R/C car, have never owned one, and have never even driven one.

Although I didn't check into the XTM buggy, I'm assuming that the main difference between the on-road and off-road is probably a different tire compound though the suspension probably should be adjusted to handle to different road characteristics. Again, you should visit the off-road tracks and see what is being run. Perhaps, this will help you make up your mind especially if you are not sure if you want a MT or a buggy. In addition, if you ever need help and someone at the track is running the same type of setup, they may help you with questions and even parts. Basically, if you plan to stay in R/C, try to think long term.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:20 PM

I plan to stay, Im new to this hobby that's why im RCNEWCOMER, I need to really learn with RTR as im new to nitro. Im not ready with kits yet, probably when im used to RTR NITROS I probably buy a kit. I will always support my LHS I might change my mind when I visit my LHS. Right now im just searching which suit my budget and which one is good for beginners.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:07 PM

glad to see some of you guys defending the desert! yea,i'm in nevada too. the entire state is desert. never had an engine go bad because of sand either. religeous cleaning of the air filter is key. the instructions of whichever car or truck you get should have detailed instructions on air filter maintenance,so don't let the desert stop you!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:57 AM

and thats any better, there are holes in the motor in electrics too buddy...........so in with your thinking would you drive an electric in the rain??? or are you one of those put your escand servos and everything in like 10 layers of ziplocks.........well anyways, back to this thread, i think as long as its not like sand dunes a nitro truck like a mt should be fine
ORIGINAL: alex7

the thing is that if you play with a nitro car in the desert, sand will go in the motor, and the motor will break down, so i really don't know, i would choose a electric car to bash in the dessert.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:01 AM

and thats any better, there are holes in the motor in electrics too buddy...........so in with your thinking would you drive an electric in the rain??? or are you one of those put your escand servos and everything in like 10 layers of ziplocks.........well anyways, back to this thread, i think as long as its not like sand dunes a nitro truck like a mt should be fine
yes, i know the electric motors have holes too, I don't know much about nitro, but brothers friend took his car to the beach, and the motor was almost ruined, you have nitro cars, i have electric cars, so you are the experts[8D]
Old 06-01-2005, 12:56 PM

The place i bash at is not dunes it's not 100% sand it's just plain old desert dirt 20% sand.